Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Queen has died, long live the king. (Read 331 times)
Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
The Queen has died, long live the king.
Sep 8th, 2022 at 2:04pm

Announced a few minutes ago, Queen Elizabeth the second has died.

Probably the most well known states person of the last 2 centuries.

Regardless of what you think  of the British royal family.
If you referred to 'the queen' anywhere in the world.
Nobody ever needed to ask: 'Queen who of where'.

I suppose there'll be a period of national mourning, but spread across the entire commonwealth.
I doubt there has been another historical figure who has garnered such global respect before, and I very much doubt we'll see her like again.

As an Englishman, I respect the fact that the queen and her sister saw active service during the second world war.
Many of Her children and grand children have also put their lives at risk on active service with the various branches of the armed services.
If you need justification for Britain retaining a royal family, that they still fight for our country, has always been enough for me.

So it's with a heavy heart that I say.
Godspeed Elizabeth, the world will be a lesser place without you.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

TheMightyAslan
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Manchester / Caernarfon UK
Re: The Queen has died, long live the king.
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 5:37pm

Couldn't agree with what you said more CA.
Queen Elizabeth has in some ways been a special figure in my life due to my grandmother. My grandmother loved the royal family. In the time before internet and social media as a young boy growing up in the north of England, my gran would keep track of the royal lives through newspaper and television headlines, sharing her opinions on their actions often humorously but always sincerely as a loyal British subject. I remember my days as a young boy where my grandmother would have me stand up whenever the national anthem played, we would watch Remembrance Day, the Commonwealth parades and the Christmas speeches together without fail for 24 years, she would collect all manor of royal event / jubilee crockery, coins, silverware etc. I'm happy to say Elizabeth outlived my grandmother for her own sake but with the Queen's passing I feel a little bit more of my childhood has slipped away too. I'm tremendously grateful for these personal memories and i'm sure i'm one of millions.
Rest In Peace, Your Majesty

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK - South West
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 6:49pm

It will feel a little different here now. The Queen was on the throne before my parents were even born, she has been there for multiple generations as a part of the country.

I was never much about the monarchy when I was younger, but I have to say I do appreciate how the Queen just kept on quietly trucking all those years with such consistency and without ever raising a fuss. Just a part of what makes England England.

IP Logged

Burner
Interfector Viris Spurii

Take me out to the ball
game........

Northeast Florida
Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2022 at 3:26pm

God bless The Queen.  She was one of a kind.
Hi Alex! Wink

Cleveland Rocks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Slinging.org Administrator

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2022 at 4:02pm

Welcome back Jax Wink

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 1:24pm

RIP Queen Elizabeth.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Aussie)