Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Twisted slings... Whats going on? (Read 419 times)
red fox bushcraft
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Bristol/UK
Twisted slings... Whats going on?
Apr 12th, 2024 at 4:00am

Hi all,
Wasn't sure where to post this, I couldn't seem to find a sling making section.
I have made a few of Balearic slings, two from flax fibers and one from jute twine. The issue I'm having is that they seem to have a twist to them when held by the loop. It may be inconsistent tightness in the braid. Not sure really, what do you lot think?

I'm going to make another very soon so i want to try to resolve this issue.

Hope you can help
Matt

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Re: Twisted slings... Whats going on?
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 4:34am

I can braid.
Others, by comparison, are expert !
Try wax.
But I suspect time and practice.
😁👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 6:41am

I make simple 3-ply braids with single or double cords, the material is hemp. The same issue arises. It has to do with fiber memory, humidity changes and braiding.
if you put sisal fibers in a bucket of water you can see them twist, all vegetable fibers do that but sisal is one that I know that does it noticeably.

The cords I buy(hemp twisted) have been processed with water or some other fluid, when they get wet they swell and after drying they remain somewhat more swollen than a new piece of cord.

things I have done are:
1) put the cords in water to get swollen and then let them dry
2) run the cord around a rod and on itself , this softens it and removes loose fibers or other loose material ( this is probably more important for lower quality cords such as the ones I can find) https://youtu.be/__NpItACbBo?feature=shared&t=33
3)keeping balance of the braid
     i)   if the cord seems twisted I unbraid and rebraid the part
     ii) while braiding I noticed that the constant pulling of the plies can untwist them so after braiding they might want to return to their original twist and twist the whole cord. so to correct for that you might want to pull one side tighter than the other (since all of the cords have the same twist direction)
4) after braiding
      i) you can dip the sling in water for ten minutes and then hang it with weights(I have used 5-10kg), as it hangs wet remove twists from the braid by simple pinch and twisting of the cords, when the cords are straight and aligned let it dry.
The problem with this is that the sling will relax into the stretch making it longer and thinner.
After this you can re-wet it and let it hang without weights so it returns to shorter length and becomes thicker.
      ii) you can sometimes work the cords with your hands and remove the twist

iii)you can lightly hammer the sling. Although I stopped doing it years ago.

The most effective way is to braid well with broken in fibers. After braiding corrections aren't as effective.
I have three waxed flat braids and I haven't found that wax can correct this, after a couple of shots the flat cord might have turned perpendicular to wind direction.

If the twist you are talking about is pouch offset twist: the thing I do while making is the above mentioned but on the field I either grab the sling twisted in the opposite direction of its offset and then pull or I might step in the pouch twist in the opposite direction and then pull. Don't do this on leather pouches you will break them.

If the cords are good but the pouch is twisted then the problem is probably at the pouch transitions

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Apr 12th, 2024 at 11:31am

I forgot to mention I also used to compress the fibers with a vice instead of hammering, you might find it faster and less noisy

IP Logged

red fox bushcraft
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Bristol/UK
Reply #4 - Apr 13th, 2024 at 8:47am

Thank you for your replies.
I shall bear all that in mind next time.

I put bees wax on the last 2 flax fiber slings and it did straighten them out a bit.

Hopefully the next one will be straight, or at least the one after that...

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2024 at 3:14pm

It can be a result of uneven pressure and tightening down the braid, if you are using twine then there can also be some inherent twist in the twine which transfers out to the sling (when using a single twine per braid). I've found sisal particularly bad for this.

IP Logged

red fox bushcraft
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Bristol/UK
Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2024 at 5:56am

If I am using twine am i supposed to twist the strands together as if I'm using fibers?

IP Logged

xud9a - call me zud 👍
Funditor

Ringing Slocks !

Nottinghamshire, England
Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2024 at 7:10am

Links to faq and weapons index has lots of info.
Pictures of slings and slinging also lots of info.
As to using twine, which I do, the trick is learning how to easily braid new strands in and drop others.
With some twine soaking in warm water and drying, weighted or unweighted, helps.
With others it doesn't.
Sometimes waxing the individual strings helps, sometimes waxing the finished braid works.
Its trial and error and experiment, but when it all clicks and you make the sling that is right for you we will expect questions about ammo and style.
Go for it mate.
😁👍

My outlook on life is Aristotalean; on seeing an Acorn I see a potential oak tree rather than Plato's view that it is a failed copy.
BE SAFE,    BE SMILEY,   BE STRANGE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, vetryan15, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Morphy)