Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Were You Spanked as a Child? (Read 121 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Were You Spanked as a Child?
Nov 11th, 2023 at 1:34pm

I was born in 1954 and was brought up in the old school "spare the rod and spoil the child" era.  Kids that were bad got spanked or worse.  I never felt like we were physically abused.  It's just the way it was.  Very few kids escaped such punishments.
      Dad wasn't much of a hitter.  Mom was kind of nuts and hit us often.  She would use shoes, hands, or whatever was handy but her main weapon of choice was the dreaded razor strap.  This was before safety razors were a thing.  Men shaved with straight razors so every household had a razor strap.  The thing was that the razor strap didn't really hurt.  We would howl and scream as if Mom was killing us with it but as soon as she left the room we'd look at each other and laugh at her.  Of course we never let her know it didn't hurt.  Even as small children we knew that if we did she'd find something that actually did hurt. 
     When Mom died and the kids were splitting up her stuff I claimed the most coveted heirloom... the razor strap.  My sisters beat my late wife Marie with it, good naturedly of course, claiming she wasn't really a Stone until she got hit with it.  It is mine and hangs in a place of prominence in my kitchen.   
     I can remember Dad hitting me only once.  When we were very young my little sister Donna and I shared bunk beds.  With seven people in a tiny house such arrangements were necessary.  Mom was at Bingo.  Dad tucked us in and went to the livingroom to watch TV.  He hollered into the bedroom, "Turn the light out now and go to bed."  I told Donna "You turn the light off."  "No, you turn the light off."  "No, you."  Dad called in again, "I told you to turn the light off."  "He sounds mad.  You'd better turn the light off."  "No, you'd better turn it off."  "SOMEBODY HAD BETTER TURN THAT DAMNED LIGHT OFF OR ASSES WILL GET BEAT!" "He sounds really mad now.  You'd better turn the light off!"  "He is really mad. You better turn it off."  Etc.  Needless to say we got our butts beat.  But we knew that we had been little a**holes and deserved it.  We never held it against  Dad.   
    Being raised old school never did me any harm.  I think spankings and such should be a last resort but they have their place as long as they're not done excessively. 
    Were you ever spanked as a child?  Do you think it's horrible and barbaric or that society would be better off if it hadn't gone out of fashion?

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Were You Spanked as a Child?
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2023 at 9:33pm

Itís still around, but a lot rarer. Never got the belt (though I got threatened with it), but just the hand. It was the go-to problem solver for my dad, and my mom didnít really like it. So it was threatened more than actually used.

Personally I would not want to use it. Maybe if the situation required it, but it was never really effective. When my dad was a kid he just learned to take it, and I learned to toe the line. My mom was always more effective, she used guilt tripping and has a scary look she gives on rare occasion. That works on me, not so much for my sister. I think itís important to pay attention to how your kid ticks to come up with the best response.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Chris, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)