Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fingerloop styles (Read 1521 times)
Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Fingerloop styles
Reply #15 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 1:08pm

however, a simple loop should not be underestimated.  she is very flexible.  different grip positions are possible.  but it is probably something for very experienced shooters

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #16 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 4:29pm

There are several members who's level of sling making expertise I could never hope to match. They are truly artists.   Jaegoor is certainly in that category.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #17 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 8:09pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 6th, 2023 at 4:29pm:
   There are several members who's level of sling making expertise I could never hope to match. They are truly artists.   Jaegoor is certainly in that category. 

Definitely agree.

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #18 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 9:07pm

True but don’t be fooled into thinking fancy is always better. Simple sometimes suits best.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #19 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 1:32am

I'm pretty bloody hopeless at any artistic pursuit. My family thinks I make great slings but really they're nothing compared to some of the ones I've seen here.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #20 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 6:27am

Eino wrote on Jun 4th, 2023 at 4:57pm:
What fingerloop style do you prefer and why?

In the beginning, I used a fingerloop without question. So I tried without a fingerloop.
It's a little easier with but it can pull on the finger especially if the pebble is heavy.
When you look at the ethnological slings, some have no fingerloop. That's why usually, I don't use.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #21 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 9:59am

I put a retention toggle on one of my slings (picture below), and it works really well. I tried throwing, and got used to it pretty quickly. I did find out that you need to hold the release knot more in your fingertips and subtly let go, though, as the retention cord is not attached to you, so you can easily throw your sling on accident when opening your hand to throw. Thank you Jaegoor and TOMBELAINE for mentioning retention toggles!

20230607_063854.jpg (172 KB | 10 )
20230607_063854.jpg

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #22 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 10:12am

Retention toggles is Jaegoor's idea.
I'm happy that you like his idea
Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #23 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 12:57pm

I've always wondered about cutting a small notch in one of the ends of the toggle to "hold' the release cord, so you hold with your thumb and just need to let up pressure to let go. i think it would be more of a hair-trigger like release. I haven't tried it though.

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #24 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 4:17pm

I've always enjoyed a very simple single loop, I've tried double but the way I sling it causes discomfort.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #25 - Jun 7th, 2023 at 10:23pm

JudoP wrote on Jun 7th, 2023 at 4:17pm:
I've always enjoyed a very simple single loop, I've tried double but the way I sling it causes discomfort.

I like the idea of two finger loops, but something with the way I throw I have trouble getting consistent clean releases with them.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #26 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 12:15pm

An ethnological example of retention toggle.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #27 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 2:08pm

That’s almost a seatbelt sling

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #28 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 7:32pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:12am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #29 - Jun 10th, 2023 at 11:49pm

IronGoober wrote on Jun 7th, 2023 at 12:57pm:
I've always wondered about cutting a small notch in one of the ends of the toggle to "hold' the release cord, so you hold with your thumb and just need to let up pressure to let go. i think it would be more of a hair-trigger like release. I haven't tried it though.

Interesting idea! Sounds like it would probably work, but as you said, it would be a very sensitive release, probably even more so if you used it on a light sling. I'll have to try it out if I get the chance!

joe_meadmaker wrote on Jun 7th, 2023 at 10:23pm:
JudoP wrote on Jun 7th, 2023 at 4:17pm:

I like the idea of two finger loops, but something with the way I throw I have trouble getting consistent clean releases with them.

Double finger loops are definitely different than single loops. I've mainly thrown figure 8 and byzantine with them on my middle and ring finger, and it seems to work fine, but I can see them screwing up with other styles and finger placements.

Interesting sling, TOMBELAINE! As Mersa said, it does sort of look like a seatbelt sling. Do you know what it's made of? To me, it looks to be wood, some sort of string, and some sort of tropical tree bark or coconut fiber. The large tuft on the toggle seems like it would be itchy in the hand, though...

Nice fingerloop design, blindsquirrel! I wish I knew about that sort of design when I made some of my earlier slings. Do you use gutted paracord, or paracord with the guts still in?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick, Chris, Rat Man)