Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Fingerloop styles (Read 1635 times)
Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Fingerloop styles
Jun 4th, 2023 at 4:57pm

What fingerloop style do you prefer and why?

For me, I have only really used non-tightening fingerloops, and when I have tried a tightening one, it painfully tugged on and constricted my finger. I may have put it on my finger wrong, though.

EDIT: I have also recently switched from single to double finger loops to spread out the force over two fingers rather than one.

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Fingerloop styles
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 6:01pm

I love a simple cinching single finger loop.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 6:11pm

When I first started slinging regularly, I used a large finger loop that would fit over the middle and ring finger.  There's a number of slingers who use two separate loops or a divided loop so it fits over two fingers.  That is something I've never been able to get used to.

I mainly like a fixed loop to fit over the middle finger.  I can use a sling with an adjustable loop without any issues.  A fixed loop is just personal preference.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 9:25pm

I tried out a cinching fingerloop again on medical tape sling, and it worked out pretty well. I threw some rocks at the beach and had no problem with finger constriction. As it turns out, the way I had it on before pinches the skin on my finger as I throw, but slightly readjusting it completely fixes this problem. I will definitely continue to use this design!

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 10:03pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:13am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2023 at 11:03pm

Nice video, blindsquirrel! I'll have to try that when I make another 4-strand sling.

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2023 at 1:32am

Smiley Wink

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2023 at 12:50pm

@Jaegoor - Do you have a preference between the double loop (like in your photo) or a single loop?

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2023 at 12:57pm

That is very different. I also like to shoot with a retention toggle

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2023 at 4:26pm

I like to shoot lead with a double eye.

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

Jaegoor
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2023 at 4:31pm

I really like shooting with a retention toggle on a long sling. You can transfer a lot of power

Bono Mellius

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #11 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 3:38am

A lot of research and improvment.
I usually don't use fingerloops but I like the retention toggle. It transfert the effort on all fingers without compressing a single. A good idea !

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #12 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 5:38am

I just go for a simple loop over my middle finger. Works fine for me, I used to put it half way on my finger but the sling often flew off so these days I just put it all the way on my finger.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 9:04am

I go for a simple loop over my ring finger.  Sometimes when I'm making a sling depending on the braid I'll start at the fingerloop and braid from there.  Most times though I'll just double the end of the retention cord and use West Country Whipping to make my loop... simple and strong. 

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #14 - Jun 6th, 2023 at 9:54am

Those are some really good-looking slings, Jaegoor!

I have a sling that I made the fingerloop too small on, so I'll have to try putting a retention toggle on it.

Yfir wrote on Jun 6th, 2023 at 5:38am:
I just go for a simple loop over my middle finger. Works fine for me, I used to put it half way on my finger but the sling often flew off so these days I just put it all the way on my finger.

This is what I started with and what I still do a lot of the time. I put any single fingerloop sling I'm using on my middle finger.

I've always started braiding at the fingerloop. I might have to try folding and whipping the retention cord, though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Kick)