Choosing a domain (Read 268 times)
rasul

sleeping in the garden..

bay area slinging club
Choosing a domain
May 31st, 2023 at 9:04pm

Hey there everyone,

Hope you are all well!
As I have mentioned previously, I am in the process of starting a slinging club in my city, and I am currently looking to build a website.

I am going to be using either WordPress ($4 per month) or Google Sites (free) to design and host my website, as I do not intend to host it myself.

I need help choosing a domain name- the options are as follows:

slingingclub.org ($12/year)
slingingclub.com ($12/year)
slinging.club (one-time fee of $14, and $18/year)

I plan on keeping the name simple; "Slinging Club", although I have considered "Slinging Society" as well.

What are your thoughts?
Which domain should I choose?
Or should I do "Slinging Society" instead?

aka @stoneslinging
IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Re: Choosing a domain
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 9:35am

I think slingingclub.org sounds best

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 3:08pm

I think any of them would work fine.  I like the first two a little more.  A web address ending with '.club' isn't common and may cause confusion for people.  Personally I might go with something a little more specific though.  Do you know what you're going to call the club?  I think something with a name like 'californiaslingclub.com' (that's just an example) is a little more attention grabbing and memorable.

Something else I'll bring up, do you know what you're going to do with the website?  And do you have a list of potential members who are showing interest?  I'm 100% in favor of you proceeding, but I hate to see you put money into something if it may not get the desired turnout.  As an alternative, you could start something on social media.  There are lots of groups spread out over Facebook, Instagram, Reddit, etc.  A social media group could possibly be a way to get started, and then look at purchasing a domain once the club is in place and seems to be stable.

I'm excited to hear how things go for you.  If you can get a good group of people together who are interested in slinging, and create a successful club around it, that would be an awesome success story!  But I don't think a website is going to be a deciding factor one way or the other when it comes to the success of your club.  That's going to come down to the people out there slinging.

IP Logged

rasul

sleeping in the garden..

bay area slinging club
Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 4:52am

Thanks for the input, Eino!

Definitely agree with you on that, Joe. I myself have been learning towards .org or .com for the domain.
As for the name, I am still deciding on that, however for handles and domain names I will probably end up doing slingingclub.com, @slingingclub, slingingclub@gmail.com, etc. (because I feel like it's very easy to remember, and very self-explanatory). (May change my mind on this)

As for the website, I plan on having a very simple one that essentially gives information about the club, how to join, possible fundraisers, activities/workshops, etc. I will definitely create a post with a general layout for the club sometime soon, and anyone can feel free to add their ideas!

I have a couple of friends who showed interest in joining the club, including some of my teachers haha. Additionally, I managed to essentially indoctrinate some young kids (family friends) into slinging, and their parents are going to be awaiting some further info about the club from me soon. I plan on hosting workshops for people of all age ranges regarding sling-making, but for younger kids I will probably stick to teaching them knots and simple single-strand slings.

I made a club-specific account on instagram (@slingingclub) which I will begin advertising/engaging more on, to draw more attention to the club (locally and online).

Thanks for your concern, I appreciate your enthusiasm and I will make sure to keep you updated Smiley

aka @stoneslinging
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, vetryan15)