Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Weird slinging mishaps (Read 477 times)
Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Weird slinging mishaps
May 29th, 2023 at 6:24pm

Yesterday, I was slinging pinecones, and my sling somehow tied itself around a pinecone mid-throw... Cheesy

What weird slinging mishaps have you had?

20230528_171639.jpg (120 KB | 11 )
20230528_171639.jpg

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Weird slinging mishaps
Reply #1 - May 29th, 2023 at 9:47pm

I've had projectiles get wrapped up too.  I also once had a release cord get a knot tied in it.  It was just a simple overhand knot (loose, not tight), but I was scratching my head thinking 'How the heck did that happen?'.

I've had the finger loop slide off my finger, so the sling went flying out in front of me with the projectile.  When I was doing a bunch of stuff with really big stones I had some early releases and hit my house a couple times.  Probably some other things too that aren't coming to mind right now.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #2 - May 29th, 2023 at 10:13pm

Yeah, knot-tying slings are weird. It only seems to happen with thinner cords, though.

I've stopped throwing balearic or underhand in my backyard, as late releases send the ball flying into my house or over the fence. There are few things that feel worse than watching a ball barely clear the fence or bounce straight over.

I hit my neighbor's car recently with a tennis ball, proving why you don't use a really heavy staff for a staff sling. My staff sling pouch flew off once, but I don't think I've had a sling slide off my finger yet.

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2023 at 3:54pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:14am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2023 at 7:03am

Often when I've given someone else a go with my sling the projectile ends up flying out before they even release it. That's one thing you've always got to be careful of with beginners!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 31st, 2023 at 3:51pm

When I was first into slinging I tried an extra long cracker of about four inches.  I wanted a nice, loud bullwhip crack.  That's a mistake you only make once.  Of course the cracker snapped across the palm of my hand leaving a big welt and invoking a stream of curse words.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2023 at 11:13pm

That's a good idea, blindsquirrel!

Yfir - I had some ammo slip out without releasing a couple of times when I started out. Its one of the worst ways for a tennis ball to go over the fence (get out the duct tape and long stick!)

That sounds painful, Rat Man!

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 12:28am

Eino wrote on Jun 1st, 2023 at 11:13pm:
That's a good idea, blindsquirrel!

Yfir - I had some ammo slip out without releasing a couple of times when I started out. Its one of the worst ways for a tennis ball to go over the fence (get out the duct tape and long stick!)

That sounds painful, Rat Man!

To make that mini sonic boom the end of your sling has to be traveling at over 767 mph.  Yes, it hurt.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2023 at 4:35pm

I guess this was about twenty years ago.  For some reason I borrowed my now late wife's (Marie) car to take one of the dogs to a local park and do some slinging.  I don't remember why I didn't take my own car.  It was a nice day and I was slinging well until a stone came out of my sling early.  It went backwards with a little bit of force and hit the car's windshield.  It bounced off apparently with no harm done.  I called it a day at that point and drove home.  The next night Marie came home from work upset.  Her windshield had a huge crack across it.  She believed a stone from a gravel truck she was following hit it.  I knew better.  If you knew my wife you'd understand why I never told her.  She went to her grave never knowing that it was me who broke her windshield.  I've never regretted my decision to not tell her.
« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2023 at 3:56pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Kick, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)