Send Topic Print
2023 Hurricane Season (Read 856 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
2023 Hurricane Season
May 16th, 2023 at 12:57pm

NOAA is predicting a less than average 2023 hurricane season.  Hopefully they're right.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=noaa+2023+hurricane+prediction&form=STWESB&refig=9...

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: 2023 Hurricane Season
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2023 at 3:35pm

Ye Gods I hope so!  We're not done paying for and fixing up the damages from Hurricane Ian last September!!  $25K done, another $25k to go!!!

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2023 at 1:20pm

StaffSlinger wrote on May 16th, 2023 at 3:35pm:
Ye Gods I hope so!  We're not done paying for and fixing up the damages from Hurricane Ian last September!!  $25K done, another $25k to go!!!

Yikes!  Do you have any pictures of the damage?

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #3 - May 23rd, 2023 at 3:30pm

Haven't kept the pix.  We had an 18" diameter tree fall across our pool cage and spend a week in the pool until I could get someone to cut it out. $5K   The wet soggy ground slumped out from underneath the concrete pool deck which had to be 'mud-jacked' level again $16K.   A large pine in the front yard luckily fell away from the house into a large oak, but the pine had to be removed $3K.  Even though we had no roof damage we had to get a new room or no insurance company would cover us (roof only 17, never lost as shingle) but insurers say that's too old... $25K...  Still need a new pool enclosure -- $25K

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2023 at 9:08am

Wow!  That's terrible.  There was a tornado here in 2015.  My fence got flattened and it took me months to completely clean up the countless tons of trees in my yard but we were lucky.  There was no damage to the house or cars.  I had to buy the parts to fix my fence and everything in the refrigerator and freezer went bad but financially it wasn't that bad compared to what could have been.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Aug 27th, 2023 at 5:23pm

From The Weather Channel Android App: https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/tropical-storm-idalia-forms-expected-
to-strengthen?pl=pl-latest-forecasts-Topic

Hopefully South Jersey will get some serious rain out of this. We are parched. Hold on to your hats Florida.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2023 at 10:02am

From The Weather Channel Android App: https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/video/idalia-aimed-at-florida-expected-to-b
ecome-hurricane?pl=pl-latest-forecasts-Topic

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2023 at 2:40pm

I found this very interesting:

From The Weather Channel Android App: https://weather.com/premium/video/will-idalia-turn-around-for-a-second-landfall?
pl=pl-latest-forecasts-Topic

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2023 at 12:42pm

It's too early to predict landfall for TS and soon to be Hurricane Lee but it seems to be looking my way in New Jersey.  I'm keeping a good eye on this one.
https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?start#contents

Lee.jpg (156 KB | 11 )
Lee.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2023 at 4:34pm

Other than northern New England it looks like Lee will miss the United States.  Hang on to your hat, Ryan.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 10:06pm

South Jersey is about to be paid a visit from Tropical Storm Ophelia. The first band is reaching Cape May now.  This could be a good thing.  We have gotten a fraction of our usual yearly rainfall.  We are very much in need of some serious rain.  Hopefully this won't be too much of a good thing. It looks like we're in for hellacious rain and some wind too.  I want enough rain to fill my poor little Lake Rene but not enough to fill my livingroom.  Also no tornadoes or winds strong enough to knock down trees would be nice.

Ophelia_001.jpg (84 KB | 9 )
Ophelia_001.jpg

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #11 - Sep 22nd, 2023 at 10:57pm

Good luck to you, I hope you get the right amount rain you need over there.

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #12 - Sep 24th, 2023 at 11:44am

So far we've gotten a little short of two inches of rain.  The wind hasn't been bad yet.  There's still a day and a half to go but so far so good. I'm hoping for considerably more rain.  We are really low.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Sep 26th, 2023 at 3:29pm

Though there's still some rain in the forecast it looks like Ophelia is just about over.  It dropped three inches of much needed rain and the winds were nothing to get excited about.  The shore got it a little worse but all in all it was no big deal.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar)