Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Making a Staff Sling with adjustable cord length (Read 1076 times)
Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Re: Making a Staff Sling with adjustable cord length
Reply #15 - May 14th, 2023 at 1:28pm

Just did some more testing, and I think (according to visual observations and google earth measuring tool) that I got a tennis ball around 200' (61m)! This is my farthest throw yet, although I did have a small runup.

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #16 - May 14th, 2023 at 10:44pm

Good job!  Practice makes better at least, if not perfect!

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #17 - May 20th, 2023 at 2:55pm

Before I make another sling for the staff, does anyone have recommendations on a heavy vs light sling? (light being single strand of 550 paracord, heavy being 3 or 4 strand braided 550 paracord)

Once, Toivo and Eino were building a house, but as Toivo worked, he would occasionally throw a nail over his shoulder. When Eino asked why he was being so wasteful, he said, “The heads are on the wrong side!” Eino looked at him and said, “You dummy, those are for the other side of the house!”

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #18 - May 21st, 2023 at 10:48am

My staff sling experience is pretty limited, but I can say that most of my regular slinging is currently done with a braided paracord sling.  I like them a lot.  But the characteristics I like about a braided sling wouldn't be applicable to a staff sling because of the staff itself.  I'd guess that a thicker cord could be helpful if you're slinging really heavy projectiles, but other than that I can't think of any advantage it would provide.

This is just conjecture.  A side-by-side test of two staff slings that are identical except for the cord thickness would be interesting to see.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #19 - May 21st, 2023 at 3:11pm

I agree with Joe.  The advantage a staff sling has over a regular sling is that it can hurl heavier projectiles.  I generally go with a heavier sling.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #20 - May 21st, 2023 at 9:05pm

Thanks for the advice!

I generally use a heavier sling for regular slinging, and I like how it works. For the new staff sling pouch, I'll probably do a 4 strand round braid with a split pouch. The pouch will either be a woven spilt pouch, or I'll be lazy and just put on a cobra knot. Or I could also do a taped pouch to keep it consistent with the lighter sling that I have been using with the staff.

Once I finish, I will do some testing and post the results.

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2023 at 11:03pm

I finished the sling and did some testing with a tennis ball. It didn't quite throw as far as the lighter pouch (around 150'-170' compared to the lighter pouch throwing up to 200'), but it sure felt good to throw with. Below is a picture of the completed sling.

20230523_195714.jpg (157 KB | 14 )
20230523_195714.jpg

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #22 - May 24th, 2023 at 9:11am

Golf balls are the best.  If you can get a pure backspin on them they will sail like nothing else.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #23 - May 24th, 2023 at 5:00pm

That looks great Eino! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #24 - May 24th, 2023 at 9:06pm

Thanks!

Yeah, I really want to try golf balls. I would use them, but since I'm slinging in my cul-de-sac, I stick to softer ammo. I'll have to go to a park and try them out sometime. Smiley

IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #25 - May 29th, 2023 at 10:57pm

I went to a park today and did some slinging with my brother, and he found a golf ball. I didn't have a chance to throw it with the staff sling, but he threw it with a 45" (unfolded) sling and it went about 250'! Shocked He said it was not a really hard throw, just a regular throw.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #26 - May 30th, 2023 at 3:10pm

I prefer a light sling for staff-slinging.  You get more energy transferred to the projectile, rather than to the sling.  With a heavy sling you are 'wasting' energy getting the sling up to velocity.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Eino

Projecting stones with
a rope-based device!

Reply #27 - May 30th, 2023 at 8:59pm

I agree. I modified the braided sling to be a normal sling.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick)