Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
An Animal Other Than A Dog That You Have Been Chased By (Read 742 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
An Animal Other Than A Dog That You Have Been Chased By
Apr 27th, 2023 at 3:53pm

Has anything other than a mean dog ever made you run for your life?  When I was stationed at miserable hell hole Ft. Campbell, Kentucky I had a friend, Buddy Whited, who was raised nearby.  His family had a farm in the beautiful, quaint little mountain town of Alpine, Tennessee.  Alpine was a place that time forgot, exactly like something out of the fifties.  My late friend Al and I would often spend weekends at Buddy's family farm in Alpine.
    On one occasion when it was just Buddy and I there we decided to go small game hunting.  He knew the area well, of course, so he led and I followed.  In those parts it was just fine for neighbors to cut through each others farms as they pleased.  We crossed many property lines until we came to a farm with a watch cow.
     She was a big, fat milk cow and she didn't take kindly to strangers on her land.  She made a couple of feints then full on charged us.  Well you just can't shoot a neighbors cow so we ran for our lives with Bossy right on our heels, bit fat utters flopping all over the place.  At the time it would have been funny but a cow is a big animal capable of doing damage.  We were young and in shape and fortunately able to outrun her.  In retrospect it was hilarious. 
    I also ran from a bull once, also in Tennessee, but that story isn't nearly as comical.
    So what kind of critter other than a dog has chased you?
« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2023 at 8:30am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: An Animal Other Than A Dog That You Have Been Chased By
Reply #1 - Apr 27th, 2023 at 6:33pm

I've been chased by turkeys and mule deer, although the latter didn't realize it at first...I think I was in it's blind spot.

John R.

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #2 - Apr 27th, 2023 at 10:57pm

[
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:25am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2023 at 6:10am

I was chased by a variety of birds on my uncle's farm, Chickens, guinea hens, geese. I remember being chased across the yard by them.  I swear, they were breahing fire while doing it.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2023 at 1:14pm

I worked for our local Cable TV franchise that eventually became Comcast for fifteen years.  Much of our feed was underground with the equipment in pedestals. I'm sure everyone has seen them.  Unfortunately these pedestals make ideal homes for Yellowjacket nests. 
    We would try to use all due caution when opening a pedestal but most days we had a hellacious amount of work to do and we were almost always flying as fast as possible.  Sooner or later I'd get unlucky and open the wrong ped. 
     On these occasions you would see a huge, fat man run faster than you ever imagined possible.  It's a shame there was never any way to time my speed during these escapes because I know I was breaking some sort of track record. 
      Sometimes I got stung and sometimes I didn't.  In our trucks we always carried a good supply of BeeBopper (cans of very powerful, long range bee spray) so the last laugh was always ours. 
     One time while fishing with my late wife Marie and some friends in Vermont Black Flies made us depart in great haste.  As we walked deeper and deeper into a little slot canyon the flies got thicker and thicker.  We were trying to not be wussies but finally we realized we were getting torn apart.  To hell with being macho, we ran for our lives. Black Flies are an abomination. 
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2023 at 12:05pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2023 at 12:01pm

All of the above plus two kodiak brown bears and 3 Grizzlies. All of those foot races were way too close. The young grizzly was the closest. Six more feet and it would of had me. That was the day i quit barking and growling at bears.

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - May 1st, 2023 at 10:23am

walter wrote on Apr 30th, 2023 at 12:01pm:
All of the above plus two kodiak brown bears and 3 Grizzlies. All of those foot races were way too close. The young grizzly was the closest. Six more feet and it would of had me. That was the day i quit barking and growling at bears.

Getting chased by five bears trumps all IMO.

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #7 - May 1st, 2023 at 7:23pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:24am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2023 at 4:32pm

Happy to say I have never been chased by anything that had any possible chance of harming me. Or much else for that matter. Only a playful frenchie when I was a kid and still afraid of dogs.

IP Logged

walter
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2023 at 5:51pm

Blindsquirrel wrote on May 1st, 2023 at 7:23pm:
Should have had ur sling, walter

Wink

Perseverence furthers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner)