Send Topic Print
A Good Death (Read 459 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
A Good Death
Mar 24th, 2023 at 10:45am

What is a good death?  Is there such a thing?  After an eight year battle with Renal Cell Carcinoma my wife finally died nine years ago.  She passed while thoroughly drugged, in the wee hours, in a room full of family and friends.  I was holding her left hand and her brother was holding her right.  Though the years leading up to this were tragic and hard this seems like about as good a death as one could hope for. 
    My Mom was as tough a character as you could ever meet.  One of her many mantras throughout her life was "I don't want to die in some GD hospital with GD tubes and wires sticking out of me.  She was a heavy smoker and though she quit with me on November 19, 1988 she got lung cancer anyway.  She eventually passed in her own livingroom one night while alone.  Though I'm sure her actual dying was most unpleasant I sincerely believe she would call her own death a good one.  She was 87, completely independent and self supporting, and died at home on her own terms, without GD tubes and wires sticking out of her. 
     Personally I'd be happy with a quick, painless death of some sort, though it seldom works out that way.  I would consider that a success. 
     Sorry if this is gloomy but death is something we all have to deal with.  It's a part of life. 
« Last Edit: Mar 25th, 2023 at 7:41am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: A Good Death
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 12:39pm

For me a good death would be quick, or peaceful, or both.  I think my biggest worry about death isn't the actual being dead part, but pain and/or discomfort being dragged out for a long time.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2023 at 2:21pm

Agreed.  A perfect death would be a quick, painless one right after completing some amazing feat like right after catching a thirteen pound bass or bowling a perfect game.  But I'll settle for a sudden painless one 

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2023 at 1:35pm

I'm still relatively young but for me I consider it in terms of quality of life leading up to the death. I would want to stay active physically and mentally sharp well into old age and then when the time comes, probably an illness slow enough that people can see it coming and can say goodbyes, but not so slow that it becomes a burden to bear for those around me.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Apr 25th, 2023 at 5:31pm

Old age, affairs in order, surrounded by a loving family, not in a hospital, and peacefully falling asleep one last time never to wake up. That’s the ideal.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris, Masiakasaurus)