Send Topic Print
Butter or Margarine? (Read 448 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Butter or Margarine?
Mar 12th, 2023 at 2:54pm

The debate is which is worse for you.  Butter proponents contend that margarine is an unnatural, man made chemical concoction that has nothing to do with real food. "You might as well be eating plastic!"
    Though there might be some truth to that, butter is milk fat. It's very high in the worst kind of cholesterol.  It will harden and clog you arteries leading to a heart attack or stroke. 
      For many decades I chose to go with the more heart healthy margarine.  I would buy butter for some dishes that just don't taste right without it like Cream of Mushroom Soup.  But 99% of the time I used margarine.
      My sense of time sucks but maybe a year ago I decided to cut way back on my margarine use.  When I started to do this I was surprised to find that I could cut it out completely.  I thought I would miss it badly but I didn't/don't.  For frying eggs or for recipes that call for butter or margarine I use extra virgin olive oil.  For many of the things I used to put margarine on I now use soy sauce.  I only buy butter or margarine now if I'm having company over. 
   So anyway which do you use and why?

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Re: Butter or Margarine?
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2023 at 9:21pm

Easily butter. As you said margarine is an unnatural chemical concoction, and that comes with far worse, hidden health dangers to just natural cream with high cholesterol.

Though it also depends on the butter you buy. As with all animal products, the health depends on the health of the animal. If the cow is happy and eats healthy, its milk and meat is far better to a cow given artificial food and growth hormones.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2023 at 7:50am

Seems that so little is really definitively known about nutrition even today, so I just choose the best tasting variant  Cheesy

I do think butter and fats have been excessively demonised, but I also am not sure I'll go all the way down the bro science route until more evidence is provided.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 6:05pm

I usually go with butter, but it's a taste choice rather than a health one.  I just like it better.  Recently I've been getting a plant butter made with olive oil from Country Crock.  I like it a lot.

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 6:47pm

Problem with all these butter-alternatives isn't the nutritional value, but the ingredients. You turn over the packet and there are 10 or so things in there, half of which you don't understand (often manufactured in a lab), that can do your system real harm. Same goes for fake meat and milk.

Whereas with whole foods you know what you're eating, only 1 ingredient on the label.

With synthetic food becoming common while fresh, natural food is becoming rarer, I say we should support the farmers and producers of natural food and buy their products, lest they're replaced completely.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini)