Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Limestone glandes (Read 1372 times)
NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Limestone glandes
Mar 12th, 2023 at 12:45pm

About a week ago I had an idea… not an original one. I don’t know why I haven’t tried this until now, but I realized that I could probably shape limestone with a harder river rock… so I found a reasonable sized chunk and started shaping it. I’m using nothing but water and a river rock as tools.  It’s still a work in progress, and it takes some elbow grease, but it’s a simpler process than I expected.  Next I need to figure out how to capture the limestone mud, then cook it to make lime… then maybe use that to make my own concrete from scratch… but that’s a fairly nasty and potentially dangerous  chemical process.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Re: Limestone glandes
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2023 at 1:53pm

?
« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:37am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2023 at 2:09pm

Blindsquirrel wrote on Mar 12th, 2023 at 1:53pm:
Why not crush the limestone and make a limestone mortar and cast the glande?

I could… but it would probably end up more brittle and less dense than a shaped rock…. Plus, good luck building a mold using nothing but a river rock. I’m doing it for the challenge rather than optimizing efficiency.

Here’s another progress photo where you can see how it takes shape and how it loses mass.  It’ll probably be under 100g when finished.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2023 at 8:56am

Does the limestone's low density hamper its performance?

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #4 - Mar 13th, 2023 at 9:45am

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:36am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2023 at 7:49pm

That isn't too bad, 120g is a decent weight. I bet those things would sail quite a distance.

John R.

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 6:21am

If I remember right, the slingers of the Balearic islands used limestone balls during the timeof Rome. Tey were supposed to be about the size of a pool ball. That would be quite an impact.

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 11:39am

Rat Man wrote on Mar 13th, 2023 at 8:56am:

The density of limestone is about 2.5. Most of land rocks have a density between 2 and 3.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2023 at 6:32pm

IronGoober wrote on Mar 13th, 2023 at 7:49pm:
That isn't too bad, 120g is a decent weight. I bet those things would sail quite a distance.

Yeah… I should’ve picked a slightly larger piece 🤷‍♂️

Rat Man wrote on Mar 13th, 2023 at 8:56am:

If anything, the problem will be how soft rather than how dense, but I think this thing would still do some damage.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 12:23am

Slowly but surely… a few more flat spots need to be fixed, but it’s getting there.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2023 at 8:51am

That's looking great!

So the big question, when it's done are you going to sling it?

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 1:09pm

That looks great!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2023 at 5:20pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Mar 15th, 2023 at 8:51am:
That's looking great!

So the big question, when it's done are you going to sling it?

Of course!

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2023 at 8:01pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:33am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #14 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 4:41pm

Blindsquirrel wrote on Mar 17th, 2023 at 8:01pm:
U should make a silicone mold of it after u get done shaping it. That way u can make some concrete projectiles just like it.

Not a terrible idea… or I could just spend another two weeks grinding another one from another piece of raw limestone 🤣

I got down to 100g and it still has a few flaws, but I don’t really want to go any lighter, so I’m calling it good.  Next, I’ll oil and bake it for a tougher outer surface (just like seasoning a cast iron pan).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker, Kick)