Send Topic Print
Sling on a Tsuba? (Read 373 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Sling on a Tsuba?
Mar 3rd, 2023 at 1:52pm

Some here might be aware, but I have an interest in swords as well as slings.  Currently I have a katana that I'd like to replace the tsuba on.  The tsuba is the hand guard.  I'm not in any real hurry so I've just been intermittently searching around on the Internet.  Yesterday I came across this one.

I've seen tsuba with images of rope on them, but never anything like a sling.  I will mention that I'm pretty sure the image on the tsuba isn't a sling.  The little gadget on the left side looks like it might be a weaving or something (although maybe they're weaving a pouch! Smiley).  Whatever it is, it instantly reminded me of a sling and I figured I would post it.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2023 at 5:10pm by joe_meadmaker »  

TsubaWithSling.jpeg (69 KB | 13 )
TsubaWithSling.jpeg
TsubaWithSling2.jpeg (54 KB | 14 )
TsubaWithSling2.jpeg

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: Sling on a Tsuba?
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2023 at 11:17pm

You're right Joe.   I've seen a LOT of tsuba over the years -- hundreds -- but never anything like that!  So plain except for that cord design.  I have no idea what that loop and 'leaf' is supposed to represent, either.  Some sort of button and loop closure,  Can't really even make out what that 'leaf' is supposed to be...

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2023 at 7:17pm

Yep, I hear you man.  Not sure if that's a leaf, or a pattern, or something else.  Then the thing on the left might be a locking mechanism or a hinge.  No idea.

Although it does make me thing of a sling design.  What if the pouch had a 2 point connection on the release side.  But one point would release when the sling is released.  Sort of like a cross between a regular pouch and a Y pouch.  Not sure how to rig that up, but I'm thinking about.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2023 at 9:44pm

Well, that wasn't meant to be.  The pictured tsuba was one I found on ebay.  It was priced a bit higher than I've been looking for, but I was curious about it.  I messaged the seller and asked for measurements.  The auction has since been ended with a message stating the item is no longer available.  It is disappointing.  The design was intriguing enough that I would have accepted the extra cost if it would have fit my sword.

On goes the search.  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)