Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Interesting observation, can you guys verify? (Read 360 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Interesting observation, can you guys verify?
Feb 24th, 2023 at 11:52am

Today I took a bunch of slings out for a test run, comparing round braids, flat braids, thick, thin, and different types of release, smooth, tabs and slinging styles, primarily with and without prerotation.

When using multiple prerotations, the consensus quo seems to be to use the wrist every prerotation to follow the rotation of the cords, 360 degrees every time, to prevent cord twist, etc.

But now on the prerotations, I hardly used my wrist or lower arm at all. Only on the final rotation and powerstroke did I activate the wrist. I had my fingerloop on the outside of the hand, middle finger.

Observing the behavior of the cords rotating without using the wrist, I noticed much less tendency of the cords to twist around themselves during the prerotations, especailly with thin cords and heavy rocks. Only on the final rotation and powestroke did I activate the wrist as we generally do. What was the result? much less fouling and better spiral shots. Now I believe that if we use our wrist too much during the prerotations, it can lead to a loss of pouch orientation control and that it is better to let the sling cords and projectile do its own thing instead of trying to control the angle constantly during every prerotation, until we are ready to for the cast- the final rotation & powerstroke, then we rotate with our wrist and angle the cords for the rifled release.

I would like others here to recreate what I did and hear their results.

To clarify, quick throwing styles like byzantine and greek exclude prerotations, this experiment s not applicable to them

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Gronk
Tiro

Unga bunga!

Gainesville, TX
Re: Interesting observation, can you guys verify?
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2023 at 2:32pm

Seems the same in my experience - Bravo for being able to articulate it

Goes with what my grandpa used to say - 'don't fight the tool, let it do the work'

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2023 at 11:11pm

I'll definitely give it a try once I'm able to move around a bit better.

I always figured if the retention and release cords were close to each other in the grip, then less wrist movement is needed.  But if they are held further apart, such as a retention loop on the third finger, that wrist movement is more necessary.  Not only to keep the cords oriented, but to prevent the projectile from shifting around in the pouch.  I've noticed that the release cord can (effectively) shorten and lengthen slightly depending on the pouches position in the rotation (if the wrist is fixed in position).  That could be dependent on how I hold a sling though.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 8:24am

There is a bit of a tradeoff though. With little wrist action during prerotations, you get a larger rocking of the projectile in the pouch. This can cause slip outs. But I agree that is seems to help with stopping the fouling of shots from twisted cords.

John R.

IP Logged

Gronk
Tiro

Unga bunga!

Gainesville, TX
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 11:19am

I've found, oddly enough, to a certain point, the further apart I space my lines, the less twisting/fouling I get - in if my retention loop is middle finger, I might foul once in 10, but move it to ring? Easily falls to once in 20 or so, but move out to the pinky, it falls back down a bit to about one in 15...

Dunmo if I'm making sense. But...

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2023 at 9:31pm

IronGoober wrote on Feb 25th, 2023 at 8:24am:
With little wrist action during prerotations, you get a larger rocking of the projectile in the pouch.

This what I was describing when I said the release cord length will effectively change.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2023 at 2:05am

Further line spacing does help Gronk, but this results in even larger rocking of the projectiles in the pouch as Joe and IG have described above. The middle finger loop is a nice jack of  all trades, not too tight lines, not too wide.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Kick)