Send Topic Print
Returning from Texas (Read 674 times)
Gronk
Tiro

Unga bunga!

Gainesville, TX
Returning from Texas
Feb 20th, 2023 at 8:45pm

I was a member, many moons ago, for any that recall the name. I'm not that person anymore, so, aside from acknowledging it happened, and that I'm ashamed of myself for it, I prefer to leave it buried - in that vein, this is me now.

My name is Aubrey, I go by Gronk, because of caveman tendencies and hobbies of enjoying stone age toolmaking and crafts - I also enjoy cooking, food crafting, charcuterie, bbq, vinting, brewing, candlemaking, soap making, slinging (of course) and once I can regain mobility, I'll be chasing hobbies again - including metal casting and 3d printing, tabletop rpg gaming and online gaming.

I mention a loss of mobility- in 2021, I developed a covid infection- delta+pneumonia, which left me in a coma for 4 weeks, I coded out multiple times during, was intubated...and they gave up and extubated me as well. I fought back and survived. I was told I was one of less than 5500 worldwide that survived the tube being pulled.

It has, however, left me barely mobile, unable to even transfer myself from bed to wheelchair and back. Once I'm in the chair, I'm reasonably useful for a while, but I'm nowhere near where I was. This affects me, so if I go dark for a stretch, I may be sick, or may be taking time to make myself fit company again.

Thank you all, for this chance to come back to one of the only homes I've ever known...second chances are rare, and I don't want to squander this one.

Gronk

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Re: Returning from Texas
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2023 at 9:28pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:40am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2023 at 11:05pm

Cheers Gronk.  Welcome from Pennsylvania!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2023 at 6:01am

Welcome back from the UK!

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2023 at 10:32pm

Hey man - sounds like you had a rough trot - and have come out a better person on the other side. Good to have you here

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2023 at 11:57pm

Glad you're still with us.

John R.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2023 at 2:04am

Another Texan! Welcome back Gronk!

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2023 at 7:22am

As I'm sure you're aware, very few Covid victims survive being extubated. It seems like you're all about second chances.  Welcome back, Gronk.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #8 - Feb 22nd, 2023 at 6:27pm

Welcome BAACCKK!   Shocked  You sure you're not a cat and have used up a few lives?   Wink

Check out the thread which Joe Meadmaker posted a few days ago about slinging from a sitting position.   Roll Eyes He's wearing a 'foot boot' and at least for awhile is having to sit and sling.

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Gronk
Tiro

Unga bunga!

Gainesville, TX
Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2023 at 9:25pm

I'm glad to be home again - literally, since I've been in and out of hospital and nursing homes since August '21

Yeah the joke is turning into 'the afterlife doesn't want me, they keep sending me back'

I saw Joe's slinging while sitting vid, and that's part of had me wandering the forums again

Noone - I'm up in Gainesville, where I-35 crosses 82

Yeah, I try to be a better person - the divine only knows I fail at it enough, but I try  Huh

Thank you all for the welcome, and hopefully soon I can get back into physical therapy and back to cooking/bbq/etc - that way if someone randomly shows up I can feed them lol

Be safe, you lot! And tip from my younger days - when slinging a tennis ball at a hard object, if it suddenly seems to be getting bigger - don't do the stupid thing I did and say 'that looks odd...'

The correct response is DUCK! Never knew a tennis ball could rattle my noggin, but back when I was mobile, I was working on a hybrid apache/fastball throw modeled after the form Nolan Ryan used for his legendary searing pitches....against a metal shed...at less than 20' (was working on accuracy)

It had to have looked like something out of a comedy skit - windup, throw, bullseye, what the?? (Pock noise of it bouncing off the dead center of my forehead)
Cue me sitting on the grass going 'what the hell just happened? '

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2023 at 5:32am

Welcome back

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Gronk
Tiro

Unga bunga!

Gainesville, TX
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2023 at 8:38am

Thank you!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini)