Slinging in Australia? (Read 452 times)
Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Slinging in Australia?
Feb 18th, 2023 at 11:52pm

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any slinging events or competitions in Australia? Particularly Sydney, as I'm not that big a traveler. I find that in a country with no slinging history or tradition, it's hard to find someone who even knows what a sling is here, let alone a whole group of slingers.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Slinging in Australia?
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2023 at 9:14am

None I'm aware of.  Although we do have a number of members from down under.  I know Mersa has talked about organizing a Sling-fest in Australia.  I'm sure he'll chime in soon and can let you know where his thinking is on that.  There isn't much for sling events anywhere. The usual advise is figure out a way to do one. Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2023 at 5:11pm

I’m over in Western Australia  300km south of Perth .
I wanna hold a sling festival here but it’s money time and effort that I need more of to make it happen. Also there needs to be enough interest for international slingers to make it worthwhile.
As for actual events you’re gonna have to get on a plane to Ibiza Spain for that.
The slinging World Cup is an awesome experience and I’m glad I made it last year. If I can afford it I’ll go again this year.
I recommend it to anyone who loves slinging

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2023 at 6:17pm

Yeah, not surprising unfortunately. A shame really, there's plenty of archery here but no slinging. Even a ranged weapon competition would be good, never heard of one though they probably don't exist. I'd love to attend the world cup and all but I'm not a traveler by any means. Last time I went on a plane was 12 years ago. I might try to go someday if I find myself in Europe around the time it's on.

Though if you ever go ahead with your sling festival plan, I'd certainly love to attend that. WA might be a while away from me but it'd be worth it

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2023 at 8:46pm

Hey man! I'm from out near Orange NSW - a few hours West of Sydney.

The problem we have here is Australia is having a (relatively speaking) small population over such a massive area.

Lithgow has a thing called 'Ironfest' each year where they have medieval reenactments etc, but also other non-mainstream events on (its pretty eclectic with cos-play, sci-fi and everything in-between).

I have thought about having a stall selling slings and doing demonstrations with tennis balls.

If Mersa gets a festival happening I'd be very keen to attend, I'm keen just to meet another slinger!

What's your setup Yfir? where do you usually sling?

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2023 at 10:34pm

CrazyBrave333 wrote on Feb 19th, 2023 at 8:46pm:
Hey man! I'm from out near Orange NSW - a few hours West of Sydney.

The problem we have here is Australia is having a (relatively speaking) small population over such a massive area.

Lithgow has a thing called 'Ironfest' each year where they have medieval reenactments etc, but also other non-mainstream events on (its pretty eclectic with cos-play, sci-fi and everything in-between).

I have thought about having a stall selling slings and doing demonstrations with tennis balls.

If Mersa gets a festival happening I'd be very keen to attend, I'm keen just to meet another slinger!

What's your setup Yfir? where do you usually sling?

Hey, thanks a lot for replying  Smiley

I live in western Sydney in the suburbs (not really my ideal living area but what can you do?) There's a pretty big park just a minute's drive from me with a little forest, that's where I usually sling. I spend a while just looking for rocks to throw, they're a little sparse in that area. When I gather a few up I do target-practice on some of the trees, though I run out of ammunition pretty quickly, too easy to loose the rocks in the little forest with all the tall grass. I find slinging rocks much more satisfying than tennis balls, though I sometimes throw balls too.

Lithgow's not too far from Sydney so I could probably drive there some time. There's also a yearly medieval fare just about 10 mins drive from me, though I've never heard of them doing anything sling-related.

So how's your setup? And how long have you been slinging for?

IP Logged

CrazyBrave333
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Australia
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2023 at 5:55pm

When its a little cooler I usually use my sling while out with wife and children doing family activities like bushwalking. Ive got a few acres so it means I can throw things that wont ruin the mower when it runs over it. Eggs, old fruit and ice balls can often be seen sailing down my block. My favourite ammo is rocks or clay balls.

Im thinking of making a large sling target with a net (it has to be a big one because I'm so inaccurate lol).

I use a kevlar seatbelt sling - very basic but tough as nails and does the job. I dont know how many years ive been into slinging - about 10 at a guess? I always have one on me as part of my edc, even though I dont get to use it as often as I'd like.

IP Logged

Yfir
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sydney
Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2023 at 12:48am

I've only been doing it for about 1 year as you probably read on my intro post. I'd say I'm not too bad, though I go through my frustrating missing phases. It'd probably be far easier to learn if I had more reliable ammo, I'm thinking of making some from clay.

I always make my slings out of jute. It's a nice, tough, natural fiber and it works quite well with the split-pouch slings I make.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)