Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Video Game company looking for a Slinging Professional (Read 801 times)
rfleming
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Video Game company looking for a Slinging Professional
Feb 15th, 2023 at 9:03pm

Good afternoon, everyone!

I am one of the Producers at Certain Affinity, a video game company based on Austin, TX. 
We are in the process of developing a new IP where the medieval sling plays a crucial role.  My boss has tasked me with developing a list of candidates whom can serve as a "Sling Consultant". 

Our ideal candidate would need to be:
- An expert in the physical use and execution of the medieval/Shepard's sling
- Be knowledgeable in the use and practice of the sling to a degree they can help advise our animators in wrist, arm, and throwing motions (I'm hoping to push for motion capture)
- Be willing to travel to our Austin office (for reasons mentioned above)

If you or anyone you know fit these criteria, I'd be more than happy to take their information down to bring to the Studio Directors' attention.

I am not at liberty to go into too much detail due to NDA, but our team wishes to represent the skill and authenticity of the sling to the best of our ability.  We're excited to work alongside someone who's as passionate and experienced with the sling as we are in making exciting games - thank you for your attention and I look forward to hearing from y'all!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Video Game company looking for a Slinging Professional
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 9:40pm

There are many of us that are available, but NOOC is probably one of the closer ones to you. (San Antonio)

If things can be done somewhat virtually, I volunteer as tribute! lol. But I can travel occasionally as well!

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2023 at 11:09pm

@rfleming - Just to mention, NOOC (NooneOfConsequence) here on the forum is Andrew who emailed you.

I'll also give IronGoober some much deserved praise.  A fantastic slinger (with targets and distance), and a very knowledgeable guy when it comes to slinging in general.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 4:58am

Sounds very interesting! I think more than one slinging consultants will work best. We got a lot of interesting slingers in the forum.
I'm based in EU so travels to texas won't be that easy.
check out my youtube channel you might find interesting slinging related stuff there: https://youtu.be/uwBVH2bS8A8
e-mail acroballistics42@gmail.com

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 7:13am

Wow… thanks for the shout out Joe and IG. @rfleming, I’m happy to help if the details work out. You can’t go wrong with IronGoober either. Personally I would love to see his fastball recorded with mocap. He’s one of the most powerful slingers on the planet.

Acro is another highly technical slinger who would be an asset to your animators, and I’ll also mention Archaic Arms out of the UK…

Basically I think it’s safe to say that you’ve come to the right place 😁

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 7:52am

This sounds great! You could have a skim through my channel, I have slow motion video of many different slingers:

https://www.youtube.com/@davidmorningstar/videos

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 9:54am

Echoing Nooc, you've definitely come to the right place.  I'll say any of these gents are excellent slingers. Sarosh and Nooc
are  particularly knowledgeable about the physics of slinging, and Sarosh has done a ton of historical contextualand experimental testing, not to mention he can sling a mile. David has contributed a ton to our understanding of slinging with his videos of slow motion slinging, how the sling and projectile interact before release, not to mention he is a great coach.  Archaic Arms is probably the most naturally gifted slinger I've ever met, has a ton of historical knowledge and the most efficient slinging form I know of.

I'm mostly interested on just the movement itself and how to improve consistency and power. We have quite a few people who would all be very beneficial to your project and probably in different aspects as well.

Having motion capture of several slingers for the game would be a really neat addition and definitely provide realism to the game if there are multiple slingers. No 2 people sling the same. Just sayin'

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 3:29pm

Very flattered for the shout out! There are definitely several people here that would be an asset to your project, each with focus in different areas, as previously discussed. Can't go wrong with any of them! I also like the suggestions being put forth.

UK based, but I find your project quite interesting.
Here's my channel for reference:
https://www.youtube.com/@Archaic-Arms

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2023 at 5:55pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:42am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2023 at 6:59am

Morphy is in Austin, he’s full of knowledge too.
If I could throw another shoutout

Almost everyone on here will be happy to help.
I’m in Australia but if I can be of any assistance please reach out.

I vote Irongoober does some 3d modeling

https://youtube.com/@MitchMersa
My YouTube
Quick short videos

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2023 at 10:46pm

Morphy would be an excellent choice for a consultant as well. He's has some really interesting insights into how to sling well for accuracy.

Morphy, buddy, where you at?

John R.

IP Logged

Joana
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Menorca
Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2023 at 3:19pm

Hello,
I know somebody who could be a very good candidate since he fits all the criteria but one, He lives in  Spain. And he is very interested in the project.
I am talking of Raúl Lopera García. He started slinging at a very young age, and he’s very good at doing this.
Apart from this, he’s an artisan who has been making slings for 15 years. He has won some Balearic Slinging Championships and an International one. He has also given slinging lessons to children at schools and in some public events.
Since he is living far from Texas, would it be possible for you, in case you are interested in him, to have online contacts? Or could he send you videos with the information you need?
If you’d like to know a bit more about him, you can visit his Instagram account which is Rauul_loperaa or his facebook where you can also see the slings he makes.
I also attach some video links in case you are interested in watching them and an article about him that was published in the local newspaper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id4U6iMwD9c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHdxUn5i720
https://amp.menorca.info/deportes/polideportivo/2019/07/13/1600060/mucho-mas-hon
das.html

Joana  
IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2023 at 12:49am

Mersa wrote on Feb 18th, 2023 at 6:59am:
Morphy is in Austin, he’s full of knowledge too. 

Close… He’s in the Houston area.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #13 - Feb 26th, 2023 at 2:04am

Dang, this kind of sounds like a dream come true. I live about 7 hours away in Louisiana, but I’d also be happy to help if things work out. But as you’re noticing from the others, you have a lot of good options. Everyone will bring their own flair to it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker)