Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problem of projectles getting "caught" on release and throwing to the left. (Read 960 times)
AndyC
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

SoCal
Problem of projectles getting "caught" on release and throwing to the left.
Feb 13th, 2023 at 2:02am

I've been having this issue with my balearic sling. Its not every throw, maybe every 1 in 5 or 10 throws but I'd like to stop this from happening.

When this happens it feels like my projectile is getting caught somewhere on the pouch or the release cord as I throw and the projectile goes hard angle to the left, way off of where I'm aiming. Not sure if this is an issue with the pouch to being too small or too big. Or possibly something else. I'm curious if others experience this issue with their split pouch slings.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2023 at 5:53pm by AndyC »  

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Problem of projectles getting "caught" on release and throwing to the left.
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 4:33am

There are many things that can cause this. In my experience the somewhat heavier/stiffer/thicker  slings are a bit more susceptible to it. Ugly shaped rocks can also contribute to this issue. Combined with pouch angle misalignment (the release cord being in-line of the stone upon release) and a tight grip of the cords in the hand (no spacing). You can lose control of the pouch angle during rotation for various reasons also, not proper use of the wrist, too many prerotations, or elements inherent to the sling design, etc etc. My tip is to keep experimenting with different casting techniques, grips and sling types until this no longer happens because it really shouldn't, as it is dangerous and bad for your sling. Eventually it becomes muscle memory how to prevent it ,but it helps to understand what is happening with a sling when you release it.  Smiley

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 8:18am

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:48am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 3:04pm

If you can, also post a picture of the sling you are using. There are numerous factors that can lead to the issue you experience.
AncientCraftwork put it quite well.
The two big ones (assuming the slings fine) are rough ammo and incorrect wrist angle. Jagged stones are less forgiving, and can catch if not given good rifle spin. They basically exacerbate the problem. The root cause is generally being down to bad wrist angle. IronGoober has a good video on that, so you might want to give that a look since it's not easy to describe in words.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AndyC
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

SoCal
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 3:20pm

Here are some photos. I mostly use tennis balls as ammo but I have experience this with rocks as well. Another factor I think could be causing this is my grip. I use my index finger to hold the retention loop and use my thumb and index finger to pinch the release cord.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2023 at 1:35pm by Rat Man »  

One_003.jpg (289 KB | 18 )
One_003.jpg
Two_004.jpg (192 KB | 13 )
Two_004.jpg
Three_002.jpg (252 KB | 12 )
Three_002.jpg

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 5:04pm

Ah. Your sling has a very long belly, which will be contributing to your problem. The heavier the release cord, the slower the release will be. The belly only needs to be about 4" long. (since that's about how long the projectile contacts the release cord)
So it goes from double thickness to retention cord thickness in 4".
You can then do a relatively steady taper from that point, and the release cord will end up much lighter. The release will then be significantly better.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

AndyC
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

SoCal
Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 5:33pm

Thanks, very helpful insight. Here's a photo of the other side showing the exact taper points. I starting tapering around 2 inches from the end of the pouch and tried to keep an even taper down to the release knot. 10 strands tapered to 3 strands.

So instead of trying to have an even taper, should I taper more strands at the start after the belly and slow the taper as Im working to the end of the release cord?
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2023 at 1:38pm by Rat Man »  

Four.jpg (148 KB | 13 )
Four.jpg

IP Logged

AndyC
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

SoCal
Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 6:04pm

Are the blue dots in this photo a general example of the improved taper points you are talking about?
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2023 at 1:38pm by Rat Man »  

Five.jpg (149 KB | 13 )
Five.jpg

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 6:51pm

Tennis balls can also be unforgiving in balearic slings IMO. You need the wrist angle correct or the ball will get dragged to the left by the sling since it's so light and balearic slings are relatively heavy. I always hated using tennis balls with any sling, but it forced me to adjust my release and now it works much better.

In terms of the wrist angle for clean release I orient my hand as if I'm doing an open hand slap. Previously to this my wrist would rotate during the throw into a palm facing down position, which does not lend itself to clean releases (although the right combination of sling and ammo minimises the problem). Not sure what other slingers are doing.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 10:18pm

I'm derailing this thread for a moment.  That's a really nice looking sling Franz91! Thumbs Up

And back on topic.  Lots of good thoughts so far.  I'll echo what Blindsquirrel mentioned.  If you have a video you can post showing your throw, that will be very helpful.  The sling is part of the equation, but it's ultimately the slinger who controls what happens.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2023 at 11:17pm

Given that you know what a "belly" is... (kudos, I always have to go look it up in other posts) this may be too simplistic of an answer and you probably already know this. But in case you don't know, or others don't know...

The main reason I have a fouling of a shot (that jerks to the left  for a right handed throw) is because of a twist in the cords when I load the projectile. If the cords cross when you hold the sling by your side, it will almost invariably cause a fouled shot, the release cord gets tangled with the retention cord and releases super late. From your description, this is what I would guess is happening. Make sure that your sling is fully untwisted every time you load a projectile. My apologies if this is already known to you.

Another probable cause of this issue is what AA mentioned, which is just having a heavy release cord. It causes more deflection of the projectile upon release, compared to a lighter release cord, all else being equal. Essentially the inertia of the cords causes it to "hang on" to the ball longer before the release cord can move out of the way, deflecting the ball.

John R.

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2023 at 2:47am

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 2:46am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

AndyC
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

SoCal
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2023 at 4:47am

Thanks for all the input guys, I will try to incorporate these tips. Unfortunately I don't have a yard to do some quick slinging so hopefully I can get out to my local baseball field in the coming days and film a video.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2023 at 1:46pm

I caught an example of this ages ago on slo mo:

Perfect release:

https://youtu.be/PvidIcGUXkQ

Bad release:

https://youtu.be/EJjFK68mn0w

So it seems to be all about controlling pouch orientation and making sure the release cord is not in front of the projectile when you release it. The Helicopter style is very bad at this because of the angle the cords make relative to the hand. Sidearm styles are much better for this.

IP Logged

AndyC
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

SoCal
Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2023 at 9:08pm

Thanks for those videos David, its helpful seeing it unfold in slow motion. I think my misfires are very similar to whats happening in your bad release video.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Rat Man, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)