Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Experiments with simple design (Read 874 times)
SmokinRocks936
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Piney woods
Experiments with simple design
Jan 13th, 2023 at 1:50pm

Here are a few slings I’ve made over the last year and a half.

(A) Yin Yang sling, original/first design, job site special, nylon mule tape in a sling knot with a bowline finger loop and open melted end. It holds almost any rock and I get some of the cleanest shots at a fair distance. 33in

(B) Top grain split leather veg tan twisted 95# paracord; snake knots and bowline knot. Top grain doesn’t grip nearly as well as full grain. 24in

(C) Full grain split leather veg tan twisted 550 paracord; snake and bowline. Love it, release knot is a little bulky but it pops just right. 21in

(D) Full grain split leather veg tan twisted and reversed 95# paracord; snakes and bowline. Finesse at its sweetest. 23in

(E) Belly full grain split leather veg tan twisted polyester 550 paracord; snakes and bowline. Heavy and slow but smooth as silk and can send one to the moon. 36in

(F) Full grain cupped golf ball sling twisted 550 paracord; snake knots, bowline finger loop, leather pinch release with flooph. I honestly didn’t think it would perform as well as it has. 22in

The job site provides some excellent ammunition(:

I’d really like to get a seasoned professional to put my designs thru the works.

slingsjpeg.jpg (149 KB | 29 )
slingsjpeg.jpg

IP Logged

Goran
Tiro

Canada
Re: Experiments with simple design
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 5:23pm

This rules.

Making slings is almost as much fun as using them.

IP Logged

SmokinRocks936
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Piney woods
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 5:36pm

I’ve been obsessed since I realized how easy it is to make them.  I travel across the gulf coast states for work and show anyone willing to stop and try it out. I’ve never met another actual slinger in RL but I feel like I’ve got about a dozen started...
One of us
One of us

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 8:16pm

Yep, good stuff! Thumbs Up

The experimental aspect of slinging has always been my primary interest.

IP Logged

Goran
Tiro

Canada
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 8:34pm

The coasts are the perfect place to get into slinging. I've only been hucking rocks into the ocean for a couple months, but it's amazing how far these things go with just a little effort.

Being accessible and easy to make is totally part of the charm. The creativity of people like you just blows my mind. I only started a couple months ago, and I never would have dreamed that I could weave these out of twine. But that was just copying someone else's crazy ingenuity. I've seen people make slings out of basically trash!

IP Logged

SmokinRocks936
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Piney woods
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:16pm

I’d love to sit down and make some traditional style but all my ideas are just classics with a modern twist. I’d like to see one like your weaved version but with nylon or polyester fiber. 

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:47pm

Here is a woven egyptian style out of dyneema. Fun to make, more fun to use... no stretch.

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:47pm

Also, I see you have veg tanned leather. Did you, by chance, tan it yourself? I've been getting into tanning my deer hides.

John R.

IP Logged

Goran
Tiro

Canada
Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:55pm

SmokinRocks936 wrote on Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:16pm:
I’d love to sit down and make some traditional style but all my ideas are just classics with a modern twist. I’d like to see one like your weaved version but with nylon or polyester fiber. 

I mean after a few thousand years, I suspect nearly everything we make today is essentially a classic sling with modern materials, lol

I actually used polypropylene twine to make my latest one. Not quite nylon or polyester, but still totally synthetic materials. Just $5 gets me 3 slings, and I don't need to worry about it rotting!

IronGoober wrote on Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:47pm:
Also, I see you have veg tanned leather. Did you, by chance, tan it yourself? I've been getting into tanning my deer hides.

That's awesome. I've never been much of a crafter, but leatherwork would definitely be my gateway drug.

Nice sling! Egyptian weaving scares me. Do you need to make your own jig for that?

IP Logged

SmokinRocks936
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Piney woods
Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:57pm

That Egyptian style dyneema sling is beautiful. I have an idea I’m gathering materials for that should look very very similar to your Egyptian.

I did not tan the leather myself. I got a roll at Tandy leather.  I’ve been slowly working on leather craft for about a year and saw slings with leather split pouches and said -hey that looks super easy and a lot nicer than my janky yin yang-!

My work partner is a bow hunter and next time he harvests a deer I’ll see what I can do(:

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 7:55am

Experimentation is the only way to really know and to learn.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Jan 14th, 2023 at 11:43am

Goran wrote on Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:55pm:
SmokinRocks936 wrote on Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:16pm:

I mean after a few thousand years, I suspect nearly everything we make today is essentially a classic sling with modern materials, lol

I actually used polypropylene twine to make my latest one. Not quite nylon or polyester, but still totally synthetic materials. Just $5 gets me 3 slings, and I don't need to worry about it rotting!

IronGoober wrote on Jan 13th, 2023 at 10:47pm:

That's awesome. I've never been much of a crafter, but leatherwork would definitely be my gateway drug.

Nice sling! Egyptian weaving scares me. Do you need to make your own jig for that?

100% we are just copying old designs at this point. There are a really wide variety of surviving historical examples and the number of slings that actually survive time is very small.

You don't need a loom to weave a sling, fortunately. Our very own "Teg" made this tutorial that I've followed several times to make these types of slings. I"ve used a loom too, but I prefer this method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM4qah0Ijwk

John R.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #12 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 9:00am

SmokinRocks936 -- if you ever get all the way down the Gulf Coast to anywhere near Fort Myers, FL, drop me a note.  I'd love to get together, swap ideas, and chuck a few rocks.

Here's my version of the Butterfly pouch -- I call it the Butterfly Net. 

Blue1_004.jpg (60 KB | 13 )
Blue1_004.jpg

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

SmokinRocks936
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Piney woods
Reply #13 - Jan 15th, 2023 at 4:53pm

I will definitely do that! I like the split design forcing the cup. Mine was wet molded to fit and I have no actual basis for comparison on a golf ball thrower.

I made this and thought you might like it.

staffslingRS.jpg (85 KB | 17 )
staffslingRS.jpg
SSrodknotsRS.jpg (57 KB | 12 )
SSrodknotsRS.jpg
SSbasketRS.jpg (63 KB | 14 )
SSbasketRS.jpg

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Reply #14 - Jan 16th, 2023 at 10:05am

That's a nice simple staff sling although I would think your large knots and loops would get in the way of things. 

Here's the pattern for the Butterfly Net, and my Aussie pouch staff sling with 4 ft staff.

Aussie_sling_001.jpg (2393 KB | 16 )
Aussie_sling_001.jpg

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, Kick, vetryan15)