Noble English man (Read 236 times)
Scorpion Vin
Descens

Still slinging better
than archery!

Noble English man
Dec 29th, 2022 at 8:38am

Hello

I once read how in a hike in the wild in the mountains of three people, one of them got a bruise in his leg, it was cold, and two other comrades had to help him move around.  When they stopped for a halt, lit a fire, the wounded guy went further away from them and froze.

He was a honorary English man, there are many of them, famous and not known to history.

To not burden others people.
  I then thought, is this some code of honor of a real Gentleman in the past? 
Sacrifice yourself for the well-being of others, and not create problems for others. 
Also, when I watched the movie "Titanic 1998" I noticed that the captain of the ship, instead of escaping on a boat from a sinking ship, stayed and drowned along with the ship.  There is a saying, it sounds something like this: “The captain sinks with the ship.” I think these principles of life went from the time of Ancient Greece and Sparta, then to the Roman Empire, and as you know, in the 10th century AD, the Roman Empire reached the British Isles, and according to  For this reason, the English language has many expressions and words from the Latin script. 
I wonder what is now left of this unspoken, unwritten code of honor of a gentleman? 
I think it's interesting to find out how people thought 200-300 years ago

"Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom.” ― Terry Pratchett

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Re: Noble English man
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2023 at 12:31pm

There is the story of Captain Oates on the ill-fated Scott Antarctic expedition. He got gangrene and frostbite and could not continue. He went out of their tent into a blizzard saying "I am just going outside and may be some time."

Scott wrote in his diary: "We knew that poor Oates was walking to his death, but though we tried to dissuade him, we knew it was the act of a brave man and an English gentleman."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Oates

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Chris, David Morningstar)