Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Future of slinging.org (Read 1447 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Future of slinging.org
Nov 25th, 2022 at 3:57pm

With the passing of CA still very close, it might be a little too soon to bring up the subject.  But the thought came to me, so I figured I would put it here.

Do any current or past moderators have any knowledge on running this forum and keeping the site up?  Anything like administrative accounts, hosting location, support contacts, etc.  There have been times in the past when a problem occurred and the site was down or had other trouble.  I would hate to see the site go down and be gone forever because no one knows how to get in touch with someone to help.

I'm happy to help if I can.  But my technical knowledge of this forum is basically zero.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Future of slinging.org
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2022 at 6:01am

I had wondered the same thing. CA seemed to be admin'ing the site basically solo so I hope there's some way to get access to it. Would be such a shame if slinging.org went down.

I can help also, possibly with the technical aspects too, but I can't take anything big on for a few months at least as very overloaded at the mo with the end of my PhD.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2022 at 8:33am

I believe we've all thought about this.  Of course we are all still grieving c-a's sudden passing.  But what happens now?  Chris owns the site so its future is in his hands.  He'll either run it himself again, appoint someone new, or shut it down.  I hope he opts for keeping it up and running because there is no other resource like it.  Plus we are a community here, almost like a family.  I would miss slinging.org much.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2022 at 5:34pm

I am happy to join a mod team so that we can keep this place going, I think it shouldnt fall to one person to do it all.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2022 at 9:17pm

Does anyone have a way to contact Chris? Is there a way to make a complete back up of the site in case he chooses to shut it down?

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #5 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 12:06pm

This is the email from Chris's website: chris.harrison@cs.cmu.edu

This is his website: https://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php

I may be able to help with the technical aspects but I'm not sure I will have enough time available to do a good job.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 12:55pm

Wow!  Is that really him?

My office is also in Oakland (Pittsburgh).  I'm only in the office once a week now (mostly work remotely since COVID), but that CMU address is literally just half a mile away from where I work.

Where did you get that information MMF?

If we know that's him, I guess I'll volunteer to reach out to him and start up the conversation.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #7 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 1:00pm

It is definitely him. This article used to be on this site:
https://www.chrisharrison.net/index.php/Research/Sling

I found it a long time ago using Google.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 1:04pm

Cool.  That's good enough for me.

Okay guys, I'll send him an email to let him know what's going on and report back.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2022 at 8:15pm

I'm guessing you werent able to reach him. I thought you would be successful. He just published this: https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/3536221.3556620

He cited himself from CMU there and here is CMU's website: https://www.hcii.cmu.edu/people/chris-harrison

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #10 - Dec 17th, 2022 at 12:11pm

Whoa!  I forgot to post an update here.  Sorry guys!

I was able to reach Chris.  His email has an automatic reply stating that he's on sabbatical currently, so communication is slow.  He did respond to me though.  In the last email to him I asked about a few members possibly being set up as administrators for the site.  I haven't heard back on that email yet.

But have no fear, communication has been established.  Nothing has been determined yet though.

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #11 - Dec 17th, 2022 at 4:59pm

Good work.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Jan 4th, 2023 at 8:53pm

We're back in business for the moment.  Rat Man and I have been elevated to admins so that new members and things like that can be processed.  I just created 6 new accounts so we should have some new folks here soon.  NooneOfConsequence might be elevated as well, but we're still in communication with Chris on that.

Chris will continue to assist with technical issues if they come up and will also keep covering the costs of the forum.  So a big kudos to him.  No major changes coming at the moment, but we're now in a position to keep going.  If there are any questions, drop them here and we'll do our best to get them answered.

Cheers everyone!

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #13 - Jan 5th, 2023 at 12:00am

Good job attacking this issue right away. You've insured the continuation of the forum.

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #14 - Jan 8th, 2023 at 8:55am

Huge thanks to all of you for keeping it going!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini)