Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to get dramatic velocity increase? Longer slings. (Read 860 times)
Foresight17
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

How to get dramatic velocity increase? Longer slings.
Nov 19th, 2022 at 3:17pm

I have found that long slings 100% do increase velocity. I usually use a 3 foot sling or a 2.5 foot sling and always struggled to get past 170 fps on my chrono, well recently I made a 5 foot sling and the speed increase was dramatic! 236 fps as my highest reading, and an average of 220 fps! This is all with the same 1 inch steel balls, 66.8 grams. I tested the range, and found that with my normal slings I can reach about 180 meters on average, however with the 5 foot sling I cleared 240 meters with ease. I managed to recover my first throw but couldn't find the following thrown balls. So yes, longer slings give dramatic velocity increases using the same ammo.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: How to get dramatic velocity increase? Longer slings.
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2022 at 7:24pm

Yeah also a lighter sling should theoretically give a higher velocity .
Problem with long slings is the practicality and accuracy. Definitely a long range sling.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Foresight17
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2022 at 10:45am

Mersa wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 7:24pm:
Yeah also a lighter sling should theoretically give a higher velocity .
Problem with long slings is the practicality and accuracy. Definitely a long range sling.

Yeah the accuracy definitely drops just as dramatically as the velocity increased, I would consider a sling that long as purely artillery lol.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 2:55pm

Initially extra long slings are a way to get more velocity and distance.  As your form improves you'll find that they're no longer necessary.  You'll get just as much velocity and distance but better accuracy with a sling about half your height in length.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #4 - Nov 22nd, 2022 at 4:06pm

Sorry ratman that’s just not true. A long sling will still give you more velocity even when you’re very proficient. That’s why all the big distance records are done with long slings . It’s just the way it is .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2022 at 2:11am

Theorically, a long sling provides more speed at the end of the strap.
In practice, the control of a long sling is less intuitive. Throwing with a short sling or a long sling are two different "gesture". The gesture with a short sling is faster than the other with a long sling. The larger the size difference between the slings, the more différent the gesture. Anyway, that's what I think.
The pitcher's skill for each sling is probably the most important quality.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2022 at 10:30pm

Mersa wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 4:06pm:
Sorry ratman that’s just not true. A long sling will still give you more velocity even when you’re very proficient. That’s why all the big distance records are done with long slings . It’s just the way it is .

My ideal length is 38".  After that no matter how long I make the sling there won't be any increase in velocity or distance.  I have experimented much.  This has been my experience.  Perhaps it's different for you. 

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Nov 27th, 2022 at 7:31pm

Rat Man wrote on Nov 25th, 2022 at 10:30pm:
Mersa wrote on Nov 22nd, 2022 at 4:06pm:

My ideal length is 38".  After that no matter how long I make the sling there won't be any increase in velocity or distance.  I have experimented much.  This has been my experience.  Perhaps it's different for you. 

There does seem to be a length cap, depending on a lot of factors, but mostly drag and how much force the slinger can apply. If the drag is too large relative to the force of the slinger, going longer won't help.  But that can be pretty long for most slingers, especially if you keep the cords light and thin.  So, I think that you are both right, after a fashion.

So far, I would say my ideal length seems to be around 1m (39-41"), I can get so much snap out of that sling, and it feels really good. Aiming is easy with it and I feel like I have a lot of control.  But so far, my furthest throw was with a 50" sling. The long  50" sling feels worse than the 39", but I believe I am getting higher speeds with it, and especially higher speed with heavier projectiles. The major issue I am running into with long slings,  is that long slings make it hard to sling high into the air. With a 1m long sling, getting the launch angle to 40° or so is pretty easy, but with a 50" sling, it is much more difficult to sling that high. The sling has a tendency to brush the ground when I'm doing pre-rotations, or when in my powerstroke. The latter is because I drop my center of mass a lot to drive with my back leg and this doesn't leave me with much clearance from the ground. I think if I could do some sort of run up to build the momentum maybe I could avoid this issue, but I have yet to experiment with it.

John R.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2022 at 10:31pm

I slinged with a 9 foot long sling before. I am only 5 foot 4 so it was way long for my height. It took a long time to load it and it was very hard to be accurate but the velocity was unquestionable. Once I got the sling rotating over my head the rock must have been traveling at well over 100mph. It couldn't shoot far though because the angle of the sling couldn't go much from horizontal. Figure 8 was impossible. I could only do helicopter or pirouette with it. Hard to say if it was any faster than a shorter, say 6 foot, sling.

I'll make another mega long sling and experiment with it again.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #9 - Nov 27th, 2022 at 10:39pm

https://youtu.be/rExCd_PV1tY

It was at around 1:50 of this video👆

The sling wasn't very well made. It was in the early days. I think I used nylon cords that was way too thick and heavy. Will make a better one and test it out.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2022 at 1:00pm

each slinger has an upper limit for the length of the sling, which does not need to be exceeded.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2022 at 12:15am

Foresight17 wrote on Nov 19th, 2022 at 3:17pm:
I have found that long slings 100% do increase velocity. I usually use a 3 foot sling or a 2.5 foot sling and always struggled to get past 170 fps on my chrono, well recently I made a 5 foot sling and the speed increase was dramatic! 236 fps as my highest reading, and an average of 220 fps! This is all with the same 1 inch steel balls, 66.8 grams. I tested the range, and found that with my normal slings I can reach about 180 meters on average, however with the 5 foot sling I cleared 240 meters with ease. I managed to recover my first throw but couldn't find the following thrown balls. So yes, longer slings give dramatic velocity increases using the same ammo.

236 fps, Almost 72 m/s! That is very respectable! My best is 77 m/s so far. I've tried a 50" sling, but I do about the same with a 40". I think Archaic Arms did 82 m/s with a 46" sling.

One thing to be aware of that I only recently found, is that with long slings, sometimes the radar can pick up the end of the sling. I had changed a sensitivity setting to very high (small projectiles) on mine recently, and saw that it was picking up the end of an empty sling when I swung and cracked it just above the radar. However, turning the sensitivity down made this issue go away. I'm not sure if yours has that ability, but it is something to be aware of.  You can avoid this by setting it up in front of you and slinging over the top of it, far enough that the cord doesnt' go over the top. This is potentially risky, but we live for danger, don't we?

I know Archaic Arms and Sarosh do it this way. I don't like to because the first time I tried it, I hit the chronograph with a tennis ball and sent it flying...luckily it seems to have survived. And I'm glad I wasn't using stones at the time.

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Kick, Rat Man, Chris, Morphy, Curious Aardvark, joe_meadmaker)