Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sling Survival Hypotheticals (Read 752 times)
Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Sling Survival Hypotheticals
Nov 2nd, 2022 at 11:34am

You are backed against a cliff and a starving brown bear is approaching. You can choose your ammo and sling. No modern weapons like slinging grenades. Metal glandes are fine. The animals in this scenario are going to attack though might be warded off with a good hit.

What would be your set up and what do you estimate your chances of survival would be?

Lets say scenario 1 you have a 100% chance to hit it wherever you choose at full power.

Scenario 2, you are the slinger you are right now with the accuracy and power you have at this moment. What would the outcome be?

Now same question and replace bear with a grey wolf?

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Sling Survival Hypotheticals
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2022 at 12:58pm

To deal with the second question first:

Well a single grey wolf just simply wouldn't attack a healthy human adult.
And any hit would scare it off.

So that's not going to bother me in the slightest.

As to the actual question, I'm happy with scenario 2.

Either way, I'll take my EDC sling - as I'll have it anyway - and some spherical/round rocks, approx 150gms/6oz
Pretty much just going to go for head shots.
A direct strike on the bears muzzle or eye will drive it off.
Even hungry predators will actively avoid real injury.
So head strikes are far more likely to be more effective than a body shot.
Not going for razor glandes, or similiar - I have no desire to permanently injure the bear, just don't want to be eaten Smiley

Not sure how far the bear is, but I'll start throwing at about 50metres.
I know I can hit a human head at that distance, bear should be a bit easier.

Depending on how much ammo I have I'll probably have a few warning shots starting at 75
metres or so.
So, yep, I reckon I'm walking away from this one Smiley

So scenario 3
You're still trapped, but this time you've managed to seriously piss off a bull hippo.
You're basically dead - hippos kill more humans a year than any other wild animal - so is there any way a sling will get you out of the situation ?
You can have a premonition a few days before the actual situation, so as long as it's ammo you can actually make yourself, with stuff you already have around your home - nothing hypothetical - what are you going to be carrying ?

I know what I'd have, and it'd probably give me a 25 percent of survival.
There's just no way you can kill a charging hippo with a sling, so what can you do to escape ?
Oh yeah, it's night - hippos are nocturnal and come on land to feed at night Smiley
That helps, if the hippo was in water and you were in a boat, you're dead.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2022 at 2:15pm

LOL I love it! Man, add your own scenarios all you want because that hippo one would be wild.

So before I answer yours, in this question all animals are going to attack. No way to sneak out of the attack, no saying they just wouldnt. If its a meerkat and its in this thread you better guard your ankles because its attacking lol.

Geez ok...let me see. As you said Im dead. Theres virtually no winning this one unless you are slinging a bull elephant.

I think I would take the hottest hot sauce I could get and make a glande from it. I would also mix in drano. Then I would fill a light bulb with it and wrap the whole thing in one layer of tape.

The idea is it would hold together just enough to sling but shatter on the hippo. This would hopefully give me a few more seconds before my inevitable death. But yeah, not living through that one without a miracle.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2022 at 3:57pm

Scenario 1:
A kestrosphendone with a dart made from iron wood and a looooong tip.
I give that bear one right on the inside of its windpipe as it opens its filthy mouth to growl at me.

Scenario 2:
I am dead.

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 2nd, 2022 at 12:58pm:
So scenario 3
You're still trapped, but this time you've managed to seriously piss off a bull hippo.

Hitting a hippo in both its eyes would pretty much defeat its ability to find you, right?
Plus points if you hit it in the ears and nose.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Nov 2nd, 2022 at 9:15pm

In scenario 1 I think I'd want a metal glande with some nice sharp points at the front and back.  As the saying goes, aim for the eyes.  I think going for an eye socket and try to get to the brain is the way to drop it.  I don't think a starving bear is going to be chased off.  Not if it's mind is set that you're the food.

For a wolf I think a decently sized stone (or metal) projectile could cause a pretty lethal skull fracture with most head shots.  Say a good stone in the area of 200g.

In scenario 2, I would sling the stone I have as hard as I could.  Think, "That's pretty much what I expected to happen" when I miss left.  Then get killed.  Unless being backed up to a cliff could mean we're at the top.  In which case I would jump off the cliff.

Being at the top of the cliff adds another possibility for the hippo too.  They can move pretty quick, but can't turn very well.  If you could back yourself up to the very edge, sling a stone in its face to get it to charge, then jump out of the way at the last second.  Get to see a hippo fly!

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 10:01am

Full power 100% precision accuracy.
Eyes through to brain for a super dense sharp tungsten razor glande. 120g 

At the accuracy level I’m at . Blunt but spiked tungsten glande .200g

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 12:18pm

Just bear in mind mersa, in your pumpkin videos, all if your special glands went sideways, not one hit point first or spun enough to self orient over distance.

If the animal can't be driven off, then you're dead in all scenarios.
So the chance to dissuade it has to exist.

For the hippo - bear in mind it's dark - I'm going for clay balls with flash powder and mini 22 blanks inside and a fast(ish) fuse. A nice flash, bang mixture.
The idea being to disorient and blind it, so I can sneak away.
Very similar to Morphy's plan, I just happen to have: clay, perc, aluminium powder and starter pistol blanks and cannon fuse ready to hand.
I figure a few smoke glandes with mustard powder mixed in for laying down a fog bank at distance.
And yes I've got kno3 and mixings for smoke as well.
Hell I even know where it all is !
Smiley

Top of cliff, now that's a nice bit of lateral thinking.
Much as I hate to kill anything, getting them over the cliff is definitely going to increase your chances Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #7 - Nov 3rd, 2022 at 6:10pm

Actually all flew point first .  Just didn’t have enough penetration with the rags
True the 300g steel glande had a wobble but that thing is very hard to rifle because it doesn’t have a true centre. It’s point heavy on both ends .
We’re talking hypothetically here so obviously I’d have well balanced aspect ratio.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 7:13pm

I say you have no chance against the Brown Bear in either scenario no matter what ammo you use.  All you'll do is piss him off. 
   For the wolf I'd use a four ounce lead egg sinker.  My sling would be a 38" jute pj with a modified long pouch because that's what I'm the most comfortable with. In the first scenario I'd give myself a 90% chance of driving him off.  In the second I'd give myself a 50% chance.
   The Hippo would be worse than the bear.  I wouldn't have a prayer.

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #9 - Nov 16th, 2022 at 10:50pm

In both scenario 1 and 2, the answer is obvious.  The best way to fight a bear is with a shark, but I might go unconventional and launch a swordfish at the bear’s eye.  Either way if the fish glande doesn’t kill the bear/wolf, they’ll at least have something to eat that’s not me.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #10 - Nov 17th, 2022 at 5:09am

The best solution for scenario 3 is not to go for holidays in countries where flying hippos live. It's too dangerous.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #11 - Nov 17th, 2022 at 10:40am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Nov 2nd, 2022 at 12:58pm:
Well a single grey wolf just simply wouldn't attack a healthy human adult.

I'm agree.
In the past in Brittany (france), a dance consisted of hitting the hooves very strongly on a stone. That was enough to make the wolf flee. "Harz ar bleiz" : stop the wolf in Breton language.

So, no worry.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Chris)