Highscores (Read 5491 times)
joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Highscores
Reply #15 - Nov 7th, 2022 at 7:57pm

Blindsquirrel wrote on Nov 7th, 2022 at 5:54pm:
why should we as slinger’s redefine basic balearic slinging terminology, just to appease others so they can understand.

I don't think it's about appeasement.  I think having a notation that will minimize the chance of confusion as much as possible is beneficial to experienced slingers and beginners alike.

That said, I think being as consistent as possible across the board is the most important.  For example if someone sees a particular notation here, which is different from any video that might be seen from the International Tournament, and possibly different to what Channing uses for his comps, I don't think is a good strategy.  I'm not a huge fan of the +.  But if that's what is seen everywhere else, I think it's the best option.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #16 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 3:34am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 7th, 2022 at 7:57pm:
I think having a notation that will minimize the chance of confusion as much as possible is beneficial to experienced slingers and beginners alike.

I agree! but I have reverted it for the aforementioned reasons and + lovers  Wink. This can be revisited when we have a larger group, and make it a poll. 

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #17 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 9:55am

But let's think about this. Knowing what you do now about the competitions and that number of dianas are the tiebreaker, had you never seen the "()" notation, would it have confused you? I think not. I think just about anyone would figure it out.

Or if you weren't familiar with the scoring and saw a "+" would that confuse you? I'd say yes, it would. It confused me. It confused others. Whereas "()" would be less confusing for newcomers. One may not know what it meant, but certainly they wouldn't be trying to add number of dianas to the score, they'd just know that there was something more than the first number.

We could also just use something like:
"TOTAL:18 D:8" or  "18@8D"

John R.

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #18 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 2:32pm

I do like the score(#dianas) notation a bit more to be honest (rather than score+#dianas). It just makes more sense, you aren't adding these numbers together which the + seems to imply. It confused me too when I read it.

I also like including the distance as an @ and maybe somehow including the number of shots.

score(#dianas) 10@20m

Might be a bit complex for shorthand but nice to have a succint way to communicate a round.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #19 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 4:16pm

10 points and 2 dianas = 10d2

When I see the plus or hear people say it, I do arithmetic. I try not to but I can't stop myself.

I can add up my score and the dianas without problems by separating them with a 'd.'

It would also be better than using parenthesis when announcing your score. The plus serves as a concise way of announcing your score and separating the two numbers. The 'd' can do the same.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #20 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 4:52pm

It doesn’t need to be changed

People will ask question no mater how we write it.

We could change targets,
We could change distances to feet
Sling length to cm
Ect
Let’s just keep it how it is .
Changing the way sling length is measured has already caused lots of confusion

#savethe+notation

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #21 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 8:17pm

From a certain point of view (summoning my inner Obi-Wan), the + is used.  In the event of a tie, the D score is added to the total for the applicable scores.  Even if we're not mentally doing the math in our heads, that's essentially what's happening.

Admittedly it can also be used as a separate counter for tiebreakers.  Just a thought that the + doesn't need to be dismissed as completely out of place.

And where's Morphy?!?  He always loved a good topic derailing.  Grin
Although the discussion of score notation is somewhat related.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #22 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 8:25pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 8th, 2022 at 8:17pm:
From a certain point of view (summoning my inner Obi-Wan), the + is used.  In the event of a tie, the D score is added to the total for the applicable scores.  Even if we're not mentally doing the math in our heads, that's essentially what's happening.

Admittedly it can also be used as a separate counter for tiebreakers.  Just a thought that the + doesn't need to be dismissed as completely out of place.

But, as you say, only for ties does that work.

10+3=13
11+1=12
But 11 beats 10.

Honestly, I don't have a strong opinion here. The plus is fine; I just think the 'd' is better.

#use_the_d

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #23 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 8:40pm

The D count is only used for applicable scores.  Applicable meaning other scores that are part of the tie.  In your example the scores are 10 and 11, so they wouldn't fit the situation.

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

Reply #24 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 8:49pm

You're right. The plus is just a personal problem.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #25 - Nov 8th, 2022 at 8:59pm

I totally gotcha man.  I'm not a big fan of the + either.  Personally I lean toward keeping it though.  The reason is for consistency across the globe (as much as possible).  I think it's best if we use the same notation that's used where actual tournaments happen.  I like IG's thought on a full score including the total, D count, # of throws, and distance.  I don't see that being applied on a large scale though.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #26 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 3:46am

I found this that I have uploaded. It's not my best, but it was a really good round for me.

13 meters - 13 (+4)

https://youtu.be/p-pgFaVrADI

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #27 - Nov 20th, 2022 at 5:49pm

joe_meadmaker wrote on Nov 20th, 2022 at 3:46am:
I found this that I have uploaded. It's not my best, but it was a really good round for me.

13 meters - 13 (+4)

https://youtu.be/p-pgFaVrADI

Great one Joe, up to the board it goes!

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #28 - Nov 29th, 2022 at 4:42pm

« Last Edit: Jan 2nd, 2024 at 1:51am by Blindsquirrel »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #29 - Dec 2nd, 2022 at 1:32pm

Great round man!  Hitting all 10 is awesome, and tough to do.

Just to note, for the high score board an unedited video was requested from AA.  It makes the video longer, but ensures there isn't any cutting throws together.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, LightSlinger, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner, Chris)