Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good material for birthday? (Read 616 times)
SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Good material for birthday?
Oct 26th, 2022 at 5:15pm

I want to get a good sling material for my birthday. I really want to mass-braid a bunch of Balearic slings with loose fibers for others and myself. It would be great if I could twine-over-sticks with it too.

I was thinking of baler twine, but I’m not sure it’s the best choice. I wouldn’t have to constantly splice fibers in, and it would be a good tassel material. However, it’s only sold in large quantities, so it’s heavy and more expensive. I want to be extra sure before cracking the sling.

If baler twine is a good choice, then which kind should I get?

If it’s not, then what do you guys suggest? What would you get if you were in my situation?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Re: Good material for birthday?
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 5:52pm

Well I’m always gonna lead towards high tech fibers.
Dyneema
Spectra
Kevlar
Amsteel
Vectran

But AA was using a fake sisle to braid baleric slings and that thing looked awesome.
Not sure on its name or where u get it but that’s something I’d look into as well .

Dyneema is my favourite material. Just so durable and strong.
Kevlar is awesome too and can throw fireballs, but gets pretty wet.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 6:58pm

Thanks, I appreciate it. I’d have to ask AA what he thinks. His level of braiding, weaving, and slinging is something I aspire to reach someday.

I’ve seen some very good dyneema slings. Can it be processed into long fibers?

No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training…what a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Socrates

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 8:01pm

Yes you can break down the braids to actual fibers . I haven’t built a sling this way but I’m sure it can be done.

Remember that dyneemas downside is that it has a very low melting temperature.

It’s also expensive.
But it’s nearly indestructible.

I’ve been saying it for years but finally some others are starting to see the benefits of these types of fibers .

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #4 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 9:11pm

I'd be careful with fibre braiding synthetics, they tend to be quite slippery and a hassle to work with. Dyneema especially since it's really hard to cut through and you get all these tangled ultra strong hairs in the mix. (this is just from integrating tassels, a full sling would be a major pain). I've seen some nice looking balearic slings made from polyprop cord which I think is similar to standard baler twine. However, I've not had much success with that, the sling felt cheap, uneven and held twist very easily. It may depend on the quality of the cord used.
I think synthetic hemp or other natural feel synthetics would be the best, although I've not made a full sling from these either.

Personally for fibre braiding I'd get some nice natural sisal or manila rope or hemp, if you search plumbers hemp you may be able to find some in raw fibre form. If you want to use a loom go a different direction and get some hemp or linen twine. Having said that I don't think anybody has made a dyneema egyptian sling yet... wouldn't mind seeing that.

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #5 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 11:51pm

Thanks for the advice! I never knew that plumbers used hemp fibers! I’ve also heard of the “natural” synthetic ropes you mentioned. Just by looking at the prices, it seems that buying rope is a way better deal than plumber’s hemp. Also, synthetic manila and hemp seem to be polypropylene that has gone through some special process. Unmanila sounds promising. I’ll get some rope and try it out!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 8:26am

I know bugger all about braiding, but bailer twine - at least in the UK - is just not suitable.

It's a cheap, stiff material that's twisted into the actual twine.
I can't imagine it would be any use for braiding.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

Ceteram censeo, rem funditam
esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 12:35pm

Many People in the Balearic Islands use sisal yarn als is used for straw bales. Its available and rather cheap. I acquired a large roll recently and made a suitable balearic split pouch sling with it. Diego Camuñas does use only use short and thin pieces of around half a meter, and twist the strings while braiding, and add new pieces of string often. The new pieces are untwined, and twined again togetherwith the pieces of string tzey are added to.

If its allowed, here is an example, I am not connected to the seller in any way. More than a kilometer for 30 euro, relative prices decrease even mor with larger rolls

https://smile.amazon.de/Sisal-Pressengarn-Bindegarn-Sisalseil-Sisalkordel/dp/B01
G3K0E9W/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=234LE5ZL9GR68&keywords=pressengarn&qid=1666888076&qu
=eyJxc2MiOiI0LjcxIiwicXNhIjoiNC4xNiIsInFzcCI6IjMuODQifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=pressengar
n%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-4

IP Logged

Teg
Interfector Viris Spurii

Central Europe
Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 3:00pm

https://youtu.be/ib0lA0HcVMI
Working with bailing twine.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 7:13am

Bailer twine in the UK is made from plastic
Definitely not a natural fibre.

So sounds line it's country dependant Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

SerKraus

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #10 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 12:15pm

Both sisal and polypropylene baler twine are available. As I understand it, sisal is favored for biodegradability, but poly is favored for strength.

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #11 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 1:32pm

My suggestion is to use both. For most of the sling the natural sisal twine. For the release end, braid in some polypropylene, as the forces orthogonal to the fiber direction strain and break the fibers a lot. By using polypropylene at the end repairs tend to be a lot less frequently

20221028_192745.jpg (98 KB | 12 )
20221028_192745.jpg

IP Logged

funditor
Descens

esse

Vienna, Austria
Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 1:33pm

Here is a picture of the whole sling

20221028_192814.jpg (118 KB | 11 )
20221028_192814.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Morphy, vetryan15, Chris)