Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Recent Kitchen Experiments? (Read 410 times)
perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Recent Kitchen Experiments?
Oct 21st, 2022 at 5:12pm

I've been doing a bit fermentation experimentation. I tried a Colonial America "beer" that was mainly molassess. That was a mess. Inedible as far as I'm concerned.

Then I tried making Kvass. That worked a lot better. The recipe I used was mongolian in origin, adapted most likely from the Russians. I wouldn't think that making a bread tea and fermenting it would be nice but I'm enjoying it.

What have you guys been up to?

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Recent Kitchen Experiments?
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2022 at 7:12pm

Kvass is a fermented cereal-based low alcoholic beverage with a slightly cloudy appearance, light-brown colour and sweet-sour taste

Different, but definitely interesting.
These days I'm mainly experimenting with low carb stuff.

The stuff you can make lo carb waffles from us pretty amazing Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #2 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 1:32pm

I occasionally make fermented foods. I would really enjoy trying to make some type of craft beer or traditional root beer. Also, and this might sound very hippy but I would not be opposed to making dandelion wine just to try it some day.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 7:01am

My dad used to make a lot of homemade wine, but pretty sure I've never tasted dandelion wine.

I've tasted dandelions, had guinea pigs as a kid, they love dandelions, so I've nibbles a few leaves Smiley

Honestly I can't think of a single reason anyone would try and make wine from them.

I'm guessing it's a lot like stone soup

Where you start with a pot if water with a stone in it, and throw in a lot of other ingredients, with the final instruction being: 'remove and discard the stone'

Okay, I'm actually mostly right: https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-make-dandelion-wine-1327932
So apart from dandelion flowers, the recipe includes: oranges, lemons, sultanas and sugar.
That by itself would make a great wine
The dandelions are definitely not strictly necessary. Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2022 at 8:34am

Lol yeah, seriously you are right. I looked it up as well when I heard about it and when I saw the other ingredients I thought...why not carrots? With that much sugar and other ingredients almost anything would taste half way decent. Im hoping it has a little floral after taste though. Mostly, its easy and different.

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #5 - Oct 29th, 2022 at 4:59pm

Fermenting your own alcohol sounds... scary.
Is it really possible as an amateur to make an enjoyable product?

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2022 at 9:48am

Slyngorm wrote on Oct 29th, 2022 at 4:59pm:
Fermenting your own alcohol sounds... scary.
Is it really possible as an amateur to make an enjoyable product?

I also worry about it going bad. But I feel like today is probably the best time in history to learn because of the availability of good info.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2022 at 6:05pm

Absolutely it's not only possible, humans have been doing it for hundreds of thousands of years.

There are so many yeast cells just floating invisibly around in the atmosphere that any solution with sufficient sugar will ferment.

Fruit contains enough sugar and water to ferment naturally.
It's why wasps tend to bite more in the autumn, they're all ratarsed on fruit punch !

Don't get fermenting confused with distilling.

Making booze through fermentation is both easy and generally successful
Distilling that fermented beverage, on the other hand is tricky and potentially lethal.

The easiest way to distill a fermented drink is to freeze distill.

Basically in winter, start with a lot if fermented liquid in a barrel.
Leave outside to freeze.
Remove the ice
Repeat until what's left no longer freezes.
And that will blow your head off !

It's the traditio al method of turning cider into scrumpy Smiley
And if you've ever had a scrumpy hangover, you'll think twice before making your own Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #8 - Oct 30th, 2022 at 7:20pm

lol, here in the states we call that "applejack". Also per our legal definitions, the bucket and spoon you use to turn the cider (legal to make) to applejack (highly ILLEGAL to make) are now a "still". Applejack is a liquor, anything that produces liquor is a still. There you have it.

I actually just made some cranberry kvass with sourdough. Got the recipe from a russian blog somewhere. It's interesting. A bit bready, a nice fizzy cranberry taste, then a hint of sour. It's interesting.

So to answer your question Slyngorm, it's not as scary as it sounds. If it smells and tastes bad, trust your senses, throw it out. Sometimes things go wrong but it's a low risk high reward type hobby all things considered. If you have a couple soda bottles and some yeast, you're good to go.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2022 at 8:11pm

Just make sure you gave an airlock on your bottle.
Otherwise: KABLOOIE !
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Curious Aardvark)