Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Barefoot / Soleless footwear (Read 471 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Barefoot / Soleless footwear
Sep 30th, 2022 at 2:41pm

Its just the best for walking. Makes you feel agile and grounded, at home in nature. Imagine shoes that wear like socks. Once you experience it you never want heels or thick soles again.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Barefoot / Soleless footwear
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2022 at 5:59pm

Did several "hardcore" barefoot hikes in the Canadian Rockies, and yes I agree It feels really grounding, especially when you don't have to look out for things nails or glass. Also noticed that my soles thickened very quickly once I started walking barefoot.
The only thing is, you look everywhere you place your feet. Shoes free up your eyes, so that you can look elsewhere. (which is why shoes would have been invented)
Barefoot shoes seem like the perfect compromise, but I have yet to try them.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 9:35am

Do you have a link to what you're talking about?  I Googled Barefoot Shoes but all I found were regular shoes that were named Barefoot Shoes.
    When I was an older teen I went one complete Summer without wearing shoes at all.  By the end of the Summer I could walk on anything.  It's really amazing how tough the soles of our feet can get.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 1:58pm

It's basically an indian mocassin or medieval european shoe. Minimalist footwear without thick soles to provide flexibibility to the feet and shape around the feet instead of forcing the feet to shape to the shoe.

Sandals like this work for example
https://www.decathlon.nl/p/waterafstotende-kampeersandalen-500-rubber/_/R-p-1743...
Crocs can also work, as a cheap option. Either I like to combine with DIY felted wool socks.

For more expensive options there are many choices available like vivobarefoot.

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #4 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 2:16pm

Check out Vibram five finger shoes, they look like gloves for ur feet. I got a pair of these and man what a difference on my feet, I’ll never go back. A little fiddle to put on the first couple of times.

IP Logged

Blindsquirrel

Slinging rocks with bad
intent

Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2022 at 7:38pm

Here is a pic of them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 10:42am

Yeah the foot gloves have been around for a while, friend of mine had some of the first in the UK.

The diabetes put a stop to my bare foot days.

Not so much the invisible demons stabbing me, though that did make the feet sensitive for a few years
These days it's a lack if sensitivity.
I could walk on something sharp and go around with a hole in my foot, and not know about it.

That said I've worn sandals without socks for decades, so the soles of my feet are like leather anyway.

Never been into hiking or climbing, so never tried the foot gloves personally, they always look like fun.

Plus I'm at an age where a bit of arch support is welcome.

The other thing you get with age are toenails like adamantium, that would probably tear through the toe pieces of a foot glove in very short order.
I doubt even leather would last more than a week or two.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 12:30pm

My grad-school advisor started wearing these as his everyday footwear. The gross thing was he never washed them. I don't recall an odor, but they sure looked like they stunk!

When I lived on an orchard, I would run barefoot all the time. Loved it. I could even run on the asphalt roads for about 5 miles, albeit not as fast as on dirt (it would blister if I did).  Barefoot is excellent.

John R.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 4:05pm

Yes I am not huge on the toe shoes myself although I love the flat sole. My preference goes to the decathlon sandals and something similar and they also don't brake the bank. I use them with wool socks or wool felt socks when it gets cold. Wool felt socks can adsorb a lot of moisture without feeling cold or clammy. I've also made wool felt huaraches and they work well but they are not quite socially acceptable to wear

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2022 at 10:56pm

I've never really seen shoes like this.  I'll look into it some more.  I like the concept.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Chris, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini)