Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Been to any gigs recently ? (Read 425 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Been to any gigs recently ?
Sep 16th, 2022 at 7:52am

After several COVID based cancellations, I finally got to see Battle Beast at kk downings venue: the steel mill, in Wolverhampton last night.

My previous battle beast experience, three years ago, was interrupted by a massive hypo, it being just after I'd been diagnosed with diabetes, and I had not a clue what was going on.

Last night I packed a couple bars of emergency chocolate and was fine Smiley

Battle Beast are one of the best live bands on the planet and Nooras incredible voice and sheer energy levels just blow me away.

Hadn't realised how much I missed live metal, once the bass kicks in and you feel the music as a physical impact, you realise why you love the genre Smiley

I didn't take many photos - too busy jumping and waving myvarns around and 'sjnging'.

But did get a couple half decent shots of Nooras horns Smiley
Not a euphemism Wink

I was standing just to the right of the bloke who took this video, lol
https://youtu.be/xvoJqc6uIXk
Was impressed at how clear his camera was.
Actually, after watching that video, it turns out I'm in the video - well half of me is - so this chap must have been just behind me on the left.
I'm the short square bloke with glasses, on the right during the 'eden' chorus singalong
Smiley

For better sound:
https://youtu.be/hn6v1FptxQc

So, any of you been to any gigs recently ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Been to any gigs recently ?
Reply #1 - Sep 16th, 2022 at 8:30am

It looks like a great time.
    I braved a restaurant a couple of weeks ago the first time and I just started going into stores unmasked.  I'm slowly working my way up to concerts, parties, sporting events, and such.  On a side note Metal is the only music for working out with weights to.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Sep 17th, 2022 at 7:36am

They're not quite my beat metalwise but she's got a set of pipes. You can't deny that. Glad you had a fun time.

It's been almost a decade since I've been to a gig. Wife and I saw the last concert Annette did with Nightwish, Kamelot opened for them. That was a good concert. My favorite was seeing Blind Guardian live. I'm kicking myself for not hauling out to Chicago when Demons and Wizards toured a few years ago. That might have been a once in a lifetime opportunity. Ah well, that's life as a parent.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 18th, 2022 at 8:29am

on a side note.
The spark emitters were really interesting.

They weren';t a one shot deal and were used quite alot.
Only thing I can think of is that the tube was somehow fed with the pyro mix.
For indoors in not a massive room, they were pretty amazing Smiley
Quit how you sneak them past H&S in this day and age - I have no idea.
Glad they did though.

@PS
I bet nightwish did a helluva live concert.
Was annette the middle singer ?
I though of the three she had the best voice. But then I'm not a fan of operatic sopranos.
Give me a mezzo any day Smiley
Battl Beast are also from finland.

Something about the midnight sun, definitely brings a special element to the finnish bands. 

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #4 - Sep 18th, 2022 at 6:00pm

I enjoyed it. Yep, Annette was the middle singer. My wife agrees with you but I tend to like full blown operetic sopranos with my metal. Unfortunately they have an annoying tendency to go full diva and the band dies. Their new singer is a good choice for live shows because she can sing the stuff they wrote for Tarja or the stuff they wrote for Annette. But the magic of the band seems gone to me.

Maybe it's the lack of sun in the winter that makes fins slay at metal  Grin

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2022 at 5:48am

I reckon Noora is probably a soprano, but grew up singing Janis Joplin songs,vso had that raw edge to her voice as well.

She's a bit lije Eric Adams in that there's nothing she can't sing.

I'm very much singer oriented in my musical tastes.
Probably why I never liked grunge Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Bill Skinner)