Send Topic Print
Heavenly Meal (Read 790 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Heavenly Meal
Sep 6th, 2022 at 8:43am

You suddenly kick the bucket.  St. Peter greets you at the gate.  "Dying is very stressful.  I'm sure you could use a good meal.  In that this is heaven, of course you can have anything you want."  So what do you choose?

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Re: Heavenly Meal
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 4:54pm

Trying to make the decision is hell...

Probably start with some freshly fried calamari caught on the day, main would be an amazing steak with salsa verde and crispy chips, dessert would probably jamaican trifle.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2022 at 11:13pm

A glass of heather ale, a glass of stout, a two finger pour of peaty Scotch, and finally a glass of mead to finish everything.

And then I hope the gate is actually just a front for Odin's Mead Hall.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 7:45am

What's a Jamaican trifle ?

Well given that I haven't eaten a donut for three years

I'd have to start with tim Hortons entire donut range.
Not the pathetic selection they have in the UK, but the full Canadian offering Smiley

Then I'd have the seafood meal me and Dave had in Mallorca a few years back, just as a fish course, you understand.

Main course, hmm.
Probably a whole roast duck with orange sauce and butter cooked peas.
For dessert, a whole  lemon layer pudding.

I mean I'm dead, so I'm not diabetic anymore or going to get fat and die Smiley
Gluttony is the order of the day !

And if you're wondering about the meal in Mallorca.
Dave had the mixed platter and I had a huge chunk of halibut. Then there was all the stuff we didn't order, but they kept bringing out anyway !
Mine and Dave's main courses below

DSC00637_1024x635.jpg (121 KB | 17 )
DSC00637_1024x635.jpg
DSC00636_1024x768.jpg (149 KB | 14 )
DSC00636_1024x768.jpg

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 7:52am

That's a very liquid lunch there Joe Smiley
No food to accompany it ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 10:03am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 8th, 2022 at 7:52am:
That's a very liquid lunch there Joe Smiley
No food to accompany it ?

I wonder if St Peter could reach across the span of time.  There used to be a pizza place near my sister's house.  It was called Captain's Pizza.  They made a 5 cheese white pizza that was just incredible.  I used to get them all the time until they closed.  I'd 100% take one of those if it could happen.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 2:41pm

Of course St. Peter can reach across the span of time.  And in that this is heaven you don't have to worry about a hangover so drink up!
     For me I'd order some of Mom's turkey pot pie.  Mom was a hell of a cook and her turkey pot pie was to die for.  I stole her gravy recipe but no one has ever been able to duplicate her crust.  Once we were all grown and out of the house my sibs and I used to try to guess exactly when after Christmas or Thanksgiving Mom would have finished the pie so we could just happen to show up when it was done.  My desert would be another helping of the pie.
« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2022 at 11:32am by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #7 - Sep 8th, 2022 at 6:39pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Sep 8th, 2022 at 7:45am:
What's a Jamaican trifle ?

Mums recipe, we have it every Christmas day. Think tiramasu minus the coffee but plus pineapple and a touch of rum.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2022 at 10:39pm

I can’t decide.
I guess it would have to be like thanksgiving but a little bit of everything I like, instead of the regular thanksgiving food.

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2022 at 8:45pm

I would say sushi but Ive been on a no wheat diet for almost a year now and at this point I would take the greatest pizza heavens wood ovens can make. The three best meals I can think of generally speaking would be a really high quality surf and turf with maybe a dirty martini from the bar. A well made pizza and some high quality sushi. But tonight, its all about the pizza.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Oct 23rd, 2022 at 10:04am

When I was a kid my home town of Pine Hill, New Jersey had a hoagie shop; Mario's.  There was no quesstion that Mario's made the best Italian hoagie to be found.  People from adjacent states would come to Mario's for their hoagies.  I still remember the aroma walking into the place... fresh bread, imported meats.  It was enough to make you drool.  For years we had Mario's.  Then it moved across the street to a bigger building and the kids took over the business from the parents.  Their hoagies went from being the best on earth to C+ at best.  In a couple of years the place went out of business for like forty five years.  A few years ago the kids reopened Marios in the original shop.  The hoagies are good but not great but they do have good canolis. 
     If I could go back in time my second choice for a heavenly meal after Mom's Turkey Pot Pie would be a big, fat Mario's hoagie from the original location and owners.  To this day I can still smell and taste it. That would be a truly heavenly meal. 

Edit:  People born and raised in the Philadelphia area are dismayed when they travel to other parts of the country and order a cheese steak or hoagie.  Ryan can verify this.  Many places never heard of a cheese steak.  When I drove from New Jersey to Ft. Campbell the first time I stopped in Kentucky for dinner and ordered a cheese steak.  Three times.  Finally they brought me out a piece of steak with a piece of American Cheese melted on top. 
   When restaurants outside of the Philadelphia attempt to make a hoagie or cheese steak they get the roll wrong.  The roll is the most important part of the sandwich.  Outside of the Delaware Valley they'll serve you a giant hotdog bun.  A real hoagie roll isn't soft like that.  It has a chewy, slightly crispy crust.  Also the roll has to be so good you'd gladly eat it by itself.  And the meat has to be imported Italian meat.
    There are some very sorry, sad hoagies and cheese steaks being made. 
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2022 at 4:36pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2022 at 6:33am

Being a proper German family--- duck and sauerkraut with spaetzles {little fried dumplings}. All things my gram made for Christmas. Never could figure out how she made the spaetzles so good.
Oh and my Mom made fried egg noodles. Just what the title says. Take some noodles and fry them with some eggs.
« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2022 at 6:25am by slingbadger »  

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #12 - Oct 25th, 2022 at 7:02pm

Rat Man wrote on Oct 23rd, 2022 at 10:04am:
People born and raised in the Philadelphia area are dismayed when they travel to other parts of the country and order a cheese steak or hoagie.

Ironically I was a little dismayed when I learned that cheez whiz was commonly used on a Philly Cheesesteak (in Philadelphia).  I have to say I just don't understand that.  I remember being at an event on the eastern side of the state.  Not in Philly, but close.  We were at a brewery for dinner and I ordered a cheesesteak with pepper jack (which was offered on the menu).  They brought it out with cheez whiz instead.  I ate it, but that will be the last time.  Grin

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #13 - Oct 26th, 2022 at 12:12pm

Cheeze Whiz is an abomination.

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #14 - Oct 27th, 2022 at 1:39pm

Stuffed flounder is excellent if its freshly caught; highly recommended.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Masiakasaurus, David Morningstar, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris)