Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
More distance slinging: 330m+ with a concrete gland (Read 635 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
More distance slinging: 330m+ with a concrete gland
Aug 20th, 2022 at 6:02pm

https://youtu.be/bEq3EPrd57U

I have been really trying to get a confirmed throw at 400m, but have yet to do so. In the past few months, I thought I had a few out to 350m a couple of times, but never had confirmation. Today I found 1 gland at 350m but didn't have the throw on camera. As such, I thought I'd try to get one that was 300+m on camera.

In this video, I throw 6 concrete glands and find 4 of them, using a laser range finder to get the distance they traveled.
I got  one out to ~340m (one of the throws in the video).  Granted, I didn't find the impact point (ground is too hard), but it can't have rolled too far given the roughness of the ground and the odd shape.  I apologize for the length of the video, but to get it all in one take, it had to be long.  And somehow I stopped recording on the last talking point that I was going to make, so the video cuts out a bit short.

WARNING: If you get motion sick watching a lot of movement, this video will make you feel ill! My apologies about that.

I was very surprised at how low of velocity was required to get to this distance (66 m/s). Recent testing suggested that most of my throws have an effective drag coefficient of 0.3, but for this throw it was around 0.2 .(https://www.desmos.com/calculator/on4xzwtdwz, I can elaborate more on how I calculated this using this calculator if anyone is interested).

On a previous day, I was able to hit between 72-75 m/s with clay glands (that were ~50g) but I never threw them with a clean release, so they went about 200m and no further (except for a couple lucky ones). This was with the same length sling.

It is just amazing to me how much the projectile spin and axis orientation affects the distance. I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising since I can't get a really angular rock much past 100m.  But, aerodynamics trump speed every time is the lesson that I've learned.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2022 at 7:08pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Foresight17
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: More distance slinging: 330m+ with a concrete gland
Reply #1 - Aug 21st, 2022 at 7:11am

IronGoober wrote on Aug 20th, 2022 at 6:02pm:
https://youtu.be/bEq3EPrd57U

I have been really trying to get a confirmed throw at 400m, but have yet to do so. In the past few months, I thought I had a few out to 350m a couple of times, but never had confirmation. Today I found 1 gland at 350m but didn't have the throw on camera. As such, I thought I'd try to get one that was 300+m on camera.

In this video, I throw 6 concrete glands and find 4 of them, using a laser range finder to get the distance they traveled.
I got  one out to ~340m (one of the throws in the video).  Granted, I didn't find the impact point (ground is too hard), but it can't have rolled too far given the roughness of the ground and the odd shape.  I apologize for the length of the video, but to get it all in one take, it had to be long.  And somehow I stopped recording on the last talking point that I was going to make, so the video cuts out a bit short.

WARNING: If you get motion sick watching a lot of movement, this video will make you feel ill! My apologies about that.

I was very surprised at how low of velocity was required to get to this distance (66 m/s). Recent testing suggested that most of my throws have an effective drag coefficient of 0.3, but for this throw it was around 0.2 .(https://www.desmos.com/calculator/on4xzwtdwz, I can elaborate more on how I calculated this using this calculator if anyone is interested.

On a previous day, I was able to hit between 72-75 m/s with clay glands (that were ~50g) but I never threw them with a clean release, so they went about 200m and no further (except for a couple lucky ones). This was with the same length sling.

It is just amazing to me how much the projectile spin and axis orientation affects the distance. I suppose it shouldn't be that surprising since I can't get a really angular rock much past 100m.  But, aerodynamics trump speed every time is the lesson that I've learned.

Wow, that is some insane ranges. And without using lead at that! In my mind, that is so exciting because it shows how much more I can learn from here, congratulations!!!👏

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Aug 21st, 2022 at 10:30am

Great slinging!
you look very relaxed for that range you got.

what is the length and diameter of the projectile?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2022 at 4:10pm

They were 55mm x 31mm. I measured the density via Archimedes method, and it was 2.4 g/cc.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2022 at 7:05pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2022 at 9:51pm

Amazing dude!  I was surprised that you found as many of the glandes as you did.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 12:14am

The paint definitely helps, and I was trying to land in an area with few cracks in the ground. It took a while to figure out the last part, as I lost quite a few projectiles before realizing that was the best place to land and to move where I was throwing from accordingly.

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2022 at 6:25am

Nice !
I've always Said the hardest bit about distance slinging was finding the missile afterwards Smiley

As far as the distance being surprising, don't forget every serious slinging culture had had glande shaped missiles.
They weren't idiots,  so there's no reason to by surprised at how effective glandes are.

It also gives you a clue as to how the chamorro held off the Spanish for over 2 years.
Their slings clearly out distanced the Spanish firearms.

Great video!
And man that terrain is just Perfect for distance slinging !

So do you find the laser is more accurate than GPS ?

I think the gps on my phone claims a 10metre accuracy range.

Your technique is excellent, so now you just need to start working up the sling length until you find the optimal length for you.

I think I've used a 44inch sling, and you're taller than me, so should be able to get a bit more length working effectively.

I reckon you ought to be able to get 400m plus.
Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2022 at 11:18pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Aug 22nd, 2022 at 6:25am:
So do you find the laser is more accurate than GPS ?

My only tests using GPS was to gauge distance of thrown disc golf discs, and it was not as consistent or as accurate (gauging by pacing it off) as the laser range-finder.  I would assume over longer distances this would be less of a problem though. I didn't think to try it, but I will next time.
« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2022 at 7:24pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2022 at 6:21am

the laser should be more accurate.

But you might want to think about making a simple target for it.

A piece of mylar on a stick for example.

You could make a simple fold out square frame with the shiny side of a cheap space/survival 'blanket' facing the laser.

I mean they've bounced lasers off the moon and got a result, so it's reliable technology.

You are really fortunate to have an area like that to sling in. We simply just don't have any kind of terrain like that in the uk.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2022 at 1:41pm

I've thought about doing that exact thing (mylar sheet), but usually just rush off to sling without making preparations. I will definitely use that method for real confirmation of hitting 400m.

As far as the area, I agree. It is kind of a tucked away in a corner between hills next to a community college. I actually don't know if it is private land or not. I hope I'm not trespassing, but there are no signs that tell me I am. And it is right next to a park and walking path, which most places around here usually are marked if they are private.

The only major disadvantage to the area is the cracks in the ground. They really eat up a lot of projectiles, so unless I land in about a 30m x 30m area, I lose most of them.

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #10 - Sep 4th, 2022 at 7:08pm

Well, I tried an aluminized sun reflector for a car window as a marker, and it does seem to give a bit more reliable results. The challenge is holding the dang thing still (i.e. the laser range finder).

I also checked my range-finder against GPS and the latter came out to 342m vs the range finder's 339m.  So, very comparable. The challenge with the range finder is knowing where it is actually measuring. Multiple measurements can help, but you can never know for sure since you can't see the laser wavelength (just outside the visible in the near IR).

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #11 - Sep 5th, 2022 at 7:24am

Get a cheapightweight monopod for the range finder.
Cheap as chips from china, and doubles as a walking stick/telescopic staff sling Smiley

I've got one around somewhere u used to use with my old skr cameras when I was using a 300mm Ken's with a lens doubler.
Almost impossible to keep a camera steady with 600mm by hand
But a monopod gives you that stability but with a much freer range of movement than a tripod.
And as I mentioned, has other uses as well Smiley

Alternatively just make s holder that fits into of a stick Smiley

You tell me you've slung 400 metres, and I'll believe you Smiley
But confirmation would also be excellent.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Kick, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Morphy)