Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Africa in my backyard (Read 216 times)
Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Africa in my backyard
Aug 18th, 2022 at 4:25am

Just yesterday was walking in a nearby forest collecting staffs for bowying.

Walking home, I heard and then saw a black snake slithering along the forest floor.

Now, here are a thing or two you must know:

1. This is a country without much nature.
  2. There are no big predators so the forest is fairly unhealthy (good video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa5OBhXz-Q)
  3. It's a cold country, so there are about 4-5 reptile species around

So imagine the shock when walking and seeing a grass snake, a, to me, rare sight. Especially considering I had seen another grass snake in that same forest a few weeks earlier. It was the highest concentration of snake sightings ever.

Following the snake for a few meters, it hid in some bushes and seemed very long, until realizing that it was hurdled up besides ANOTHER grass snake. Even better.

Marvelled at the sight, I observed them a little, before moving on. Then, turning right in a cross road, what laid besides, in the bushes? YET another grass snake. But this one was not just laying there, but feeding on a frog it had caught, something I had never seen before.

Seconds later, shrieks came from the forest. Approaching, my gaze saw a grass snake battling a frog, still alive and kicking. The snake, with the frog in its mouth, lifted up its head above the ground and escaped, carrying the still struggling frog. This was the very most amazing sight seen yet. Something I thought only existed in documentaries on Africa and South America.

So there is another way that primitive weapons are awesome. They make you realize you have Africa in your backyard. All with in a few minutes.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: Africa in my backyard
Reply #1 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 7:56am

And there'sme thinking you'd seen an aardvark.

But snakes catching frogs is seriously cool Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, Masiakasaurus, Mauro Fiorentini, Bill Skinner)