Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amentum War Javelin: Primitive Atlatl Killer? (Read 1135 times)
WannabeBushcrafter
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Amentum War Javelin: Primitive Atlatl Killer?
Aug 15th, 2022 at 10:36am

After crafting and practicing with the primitive Javelin for a couple of months, I uploaded this youtube video below comparing the 2 weapons systems and sharing some thoughts as to why Atlatls largely disappeared in Eurasia while Javelins stuck around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfnCBzbY2Ig

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Re: Amentum War Javelin: Primitive Atlatl Killer?
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 3:44am

The way westerners recreate atlatls, with their thin small darts and fletched ends, has died out in real world tribal use. The aboriginals make their 'darts' very differently. I recommend to copy them if you want to successfully utilize this platform, they figured it out right and perfected it the technique, and consequently never needed bows. Their atlatl spears can -very succesfully- be used as hand thrown javelins as well as they are much heavier than modern recreationists' darts.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2022 at 11:51pm

AncientCraftwork wrote on Aug 16th, 2022 at 3:44am:
The way westerners recreate atlatls, with their thin small darts and fletched ends, has died out in real world tribal use. The aboriginals make their 'darts' very differently. I recommend to copy them if you want to successfully utilize this platform, they figured it out right and perfected it the technique, and consequently never needed bows. Their atlatl spears can -very succesfully- be used as hand thrown javelins as well as they are much heavier than modern recreationists' darts.

I think that’s a little unfair. Surviving evidence suggests (including a few surviving darts!) Native Americans used small darts in later periods, smaller than hobbyists do. Atlatl darts also aren’t as heavy as you think. I have a monster dart I’ve made, probably as large as anything that’s ever been used. It’s only about 2/3 a pound, and that’s with a 50 gram metal tip.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2022 at 1:59am

Hirtius wrote on Aug 17th, 2022 at 11:51pm:
Native Americans used small darts in later periods, smaller than hobbyists do

what length and mass did they have?

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2022 at 10:20pm

I think that’s a little unfair. Surviving evidence suggests (including a few surviving darts!) Native Americans used small darts in later periods, smaller than hobbyists do. Atlatl darts also aren’t as heavy as you think. I have a monster dart I’ve made, probably as large as anything that’s ever been used. It’s only about 2/3 a pound, and that’s with a 50 gram metal tip.

Another thing to keep in mind is that at 2:34 in the video there is a list of things that the atlatl dart does better.  The reason (or rather part of the reason) for this is because of the darts ability to flex, and the fletchings.  Combined these create a farther and more stable flight.

Now that doesn't mean the dart is better than a javelin.  It depends on the application.  One could definitely be preferable over the other based on circumstances.

Good video WannabeBushcrafter! Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Slyngorm
Funditor

Slingit...

Reply #5 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 1:51am

You should do more comparisons between different types of primitive tools. Very cool video.
Hey, gotta update my ranged weapons charts now, cause the sources I consulted were less than accurate.

IP Logged

WannabeBushcrafter
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 10:19am

Slyngorm wrote on Aug 19th, 2022 at 1:51am:
You should do more comparisons between different types of primitive tools. Very cool video.
Hey, gotta update my ranged weapons charts now, cause the sources I consulted were less than accurate.

Thanks!  Yeah I've been playing around with many primitive weapons designs over the last 5 years.  Perhaps I will do more comparison videos.

IP Logged

WannabeBushcrafter
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #7 - Aug 19th, 2022 at 10:24am

joe_meadmaker wrote on Aug 18th, 2022 at 10:20pm:

Another thing to keep in mind is that at 2:34 in the video there is a list of things that the atlatl dart does better.  The reason (or rather part of the reason) for this is because of the darts ability to flex, and the fletchings.  Combined these create a farther and more stable flight.

Now that doesn't mean the dart is better than a javelin.  It depends on the application.  One could definitely be preferable over the other based on circumstances.

Good video WannabeBushcrafter! Thumbs Up

Thanks!

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #8 - Aug 24th, 2022 at 6:38am

Makes sense to me.

The fixed throwing cord on the javelin is new to me as well.

We always used the swiss arrow apparoach as kids.

But a fixed throwing cord makes a lot more sense.

Yep excellent video.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2022 at 2:02am

Sarosh wrote on Aug 18th, 2022 at 1:59am:
Native Americans used small darts in later periods, smaller than hobbyists do

what length and mass did they have?

The masses typically aren’t listed. However, it’s likely from my experience that shorter darts require an even smaller diameter to bend properly.

One from Yukon around 6,000 years ago noted for using castoreum from a beaver butt was 1.5 meters.

Another from Utah in the White Dog Cave around 2,000 years ago was 1.4 meters.

There are probably many other examples. Although I’m generalizing a bit since there are relatively few surviving darts, the point sizes seem to support this as well since they also decrease over time. It’s often difficult to tell where dart points stop and arrow points begin.

For reference, modern hobbyists rarely seem to go below 6 ft. (1.8 meters). In Ryan Gill’s videos, he even uses darts up to 9 ft (2.7 meters).

Edit:

I spoke too soon, here’s a 2.2 meter dart and 1.84 meter dart from the Yukon.
https://worldatlatl.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Grohsmeyer-Yukon-darts.pdf

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Aug 31st, 2022 at 6:57am

Edited:

One from Yukon around 6,000 years ago noted for using castoreum from a beaver butt was 1.5 meters.

It uses a what from a who now ?
Please elaborate Smiley
It can't possibly mean what I think it means !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #11 - Aug 31st, 2022 at 5:43pm

Castoreum is a substance made from castor sacs, gland like structures around a beaver’s butt. Castoreum is used by beavers for communication in scent marking, but for some reason humans decided to use it as part of perfume. Yes, really. The ancient human here was likely using it as an adhesive or something.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352409X21001619

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner)