Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to increase slinging velocity. (Read 344 times)
Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

How to increase slinging velocity.
Aug 8th, 2022 at 9:06am

Hi all, I have really been trying to increase my max slinging velocity with 66.8 gram steel balls. So far, my average is 45 m/s and a high of 47 m/s and have an average range now of about 173-5 meters, with my high being 180. I have been watching base ball pitching videos and have really been working on it for a few months, and was wondering if y'all have any tips based off the (poor quality) videos I've put out? Btw I'm using an oceana island, tahitian slinging style hence no windup, but I have traid balearic and byzantine and got similar results, though around 10 meters distance less. Probably from not as much practice.
Any tips are really welcome Smiley

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Re: How to increase slinging velocity.
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2022 at 9:44am

Foresight17 wrote on Aug 8th, 2022 at 9:06am:
I'm using an oceana island, tahitian slinging style

What is it ?

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Aug 8th, 2022 at 9:47am

Use the thinnest sling you can to reduce air resistance.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Aug 8th, 2022 at 12:13pm

My advice would be to watch Archaic Arms. Try and duplicate his movements. I can't point to a person with better slinging mechanics for speed than him.

Also, remember that you are trying to maximize the total energy that you put into the projectile, this means maximizing the force applied and the distance over which that force is applied. Getting stronger and more efficient helps apply more force, but there is a physiological limit to how much force you can apply, so that leaves the latter. This is equivalent to the path-length that you apply the force, which translates to how much arc you move your hand when slinging. If you can increase the overall pathlength (while maintaining the same amount of force), you can increase the total energy put into the projectile.

This is a basic tenet of pitching coaches too. Maximize path length. This can be done through improving your mechanics.

The things that helped me were to 1) try to start my power stroke earlier, 2) follow through 3) utilize more hip and shoulder rotation rather than arm movement.

When I started, I slung only with my arm. I could sling a lacrosse ball 40m/s max. Eventually, I learned how to use my hips and shoulders, and can get to 50m/s or so with the same sling.  I'm still working on getting more efficient with hips/shoulders. But through improving this, the path length my hand takes while slinging certainly increased (I've analyzed video from a few years ago and recently to confirm this).

My advice would be to film yourself and work through each part of your throw, piece by piece.   For example, I noticed that my hand would essentially stay in one place when I started rotating my shoulders (small pathlength), so I focused on getting my hand higher and more behind my head to get more pathlength. I worked on that, and only that until it became 2nd nature.  Then I moved on to the next part of my throw. Don't try to change more than 1 thing at a time or you will just fall back into old habits.

Another thing is to not tense up. When you sling, it should never feel like you are trying hard. When everything clicks just right, you feel like it is effortless.  The more you tense up and try to sling as hard as you can, the more you actually end up slowing yourself down. Tensing up is also a really good way to injure yourself. Stay loose and smooth, when you want to throw faster, throw smoother.

And lastly, slinging with some sort of feedback on how fast you are slinging is another good way to get better.  A radar gun is great! but short of having one of these, using a tennisball or foam baseball against a wall is a good way to get audio feedback on how hard things are hitting. The louder the sound, usually the faster the throw.   You could also just go into a field and sling a ball for distance, although it doesn't always directly correlate to speed, the further it goes, usually the faster you threw.

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Chris, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, Kick, Morphy)