It's too bloody hot ! (Read 628 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
It's too bloody hot !
Jul 19th, 2022 at 6:59am

As today is officially the hottest day ever recorded in the UK, and last night was the hottest night.
I feel justified in wingeing about the weather.

I'm a northern European, I wear t shirts the year round. I consider 15c to be pleasantly warm and 18c to be sunbathing weather and -5c is pleasantly refreshing.
I've been to Denmark in november where I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and the Danes were all in hats, scarves, gloves and sweaters.
Vikings, it turns out are a bit 'nesh'.

Well yesterday we hit 35c in the shade.
Today it'll probably hit 40c at some point.

I'm not making any point here, just complaining about the weather Smiley

It's just too bloody hot !

One thing I find hilarious.
The British built railways across India and Africa,  where these temperatures are common place.
Yet if the thermometer hits 30c in the UK, the trains start to shutdown as the rails apparently expand too much and aren't reliably stable.
Why did they not use the same rails and joints they used in the rest of the world ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: It's too bloody hot !
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 9:18am

Yeah, that's pretty hot.  Huskies and I tolerate Summer and dream of Fall, which comes progressively later every year.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 12:43pm

Other than my time in the army I've lived in South Jersey my whole life.  The hottest it ever got here was 105 F or 41 C. That's actual temperature, not heat index.  That was about 28 years ago.  It was also very humid.  The heat index was up in the 120s.  It was horrible.  We had hundreds of people dropping dead in our cities.  I remember that in the middle of the night it was still 98 F or 37 C.  I hope I never see a heat wave like that again but with global warming I wouldn't be surprised if I did.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 11:57am

I am not made for this type of heat either, although too cold isn't pleasant as well. I prefer a dry -5C over a wet +5C. Generally speaking about 15/20C feels ideal. Anything over 30 becomes unpleasant. In general I am quite pleased with our sea climate although the south of Norway seems a little bit better still.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 12:54pm

I hear you CA, and sympathize.  There seems to be really high temps in a lot of areas this year.  Where I am the temperature itself isn't unusually high, but we're in the muggy time of year so it's just so humid all the time.  I wanted to get some practice in yesterday evening so I went out and slung 100 tennis balls.  I was sweating so much that by the end it looked like I fell into a swimming pool.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2022 at 2:20pm

Yeah, it's brutal here.  It's going to be around 100 F or 38 C with high humidity both Saturday and Sunday.  96 F today.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2022 at 6:49am

well we dropped 20c going from 40 tuesday to 20 wednesday.
And now it's about 19c and wet on thursady lol

Thats the thing about the uk - no weaher system ever lasts long Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2022 at 10:50am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 21st, 2022 at 6:49am:
well we dropped 20c going from 40 tuesday to 20 wednesday.
And now it's about 19c and wet on thursady lol

Thats the thing about the uk - no weaher system ever lasts long Smiley

Sometimes our weather does last long.  I remember one Summer in the late 1980s when a big Bermuda high parked over us for like ninety days.  Every day the temp was near 100 with high humidity and ozone pollution.  Miserable weather.  Fortunately our current heat wave should be over by Tuesday.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 24th, 2022 at 12:42pm

The worst part of the UK heatwave is that most people there don't have air conditioning because they usually don't need it.  At least I can hide in my air conditioning until this is over.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 9:05am

Air con is pretty much only in some shops.

Even most office buildings don't have it.

We tend to go a lot more towards heating places up than ever having to cool them down Smiley

Dream really felt the heat, I mean not enough to stop throwing tennis balls at you, but he spent the best part of 2 days panting.

Phoebe, on the other hand, just found somewhere relatively cool to lie down and went comatose for 2 days - didn't seem to bother her at all.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #10 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 9:17am

school holidays have now started, so we're back to a standard english summer: warm (for us) with frequent bouts of rain Smiley

These days the most consistent good weather seems to come in the spring.

We had 2-3 week earlier in the year where if it rained, it only did so overnight.

I think we had  aweek or so last year that was around 30c every day.

When I used to work at the biscuit factory, I often was between the ovens (50 metre long ovens) where the temperature rarely dropped below 40c.
And occasionally hit 50c.
It never bothered me, guess it was really low humidity. Plus most people avoided the area, so against the wall behind number 1 oven with my feet up on a kickstool (so nobody could see them if they looke dunder the oven) was my favourite place to skive Smiley

Plus I got extra breaks anyway, because I worked in the extreme heat.
Nothing official but nobody ever questioned when i took a canteen break.

Saw a recent 'inside the factory' program where they went into a modern mcvities factory.
No people. Everything was robots and automated lines.
Weird.

I quit the biscuit about 25 years ago, and they were just bringing in trial robots.
Back then, they needed 3 people to supervise them and did the work - badly - of about half an actual person.
Just amazing to see how far they've come and just how few people there are in a biscuit factory these days. 

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2022 at 12:51pm

Our most consistent good weather comes in the Fall though it comes later each year.  Weather we used to get in September we now have to wait until October or even November for.
    One Summer when I was in my mid twenties I got a job at a place called the Indian Chief Tavern in Medford, New Jersey.  Nice place but the kitchen was hot as blazes.  It was often 120 F or even hotter in there.  Anyone who has ever worked in a busy restaurant knows how hard they push you.  The bosses would give us free cold beer while we worked to keep us alive.  Over the course of a hot, busy shift we would drink up to a case of beer each.  Yet no one ever got the least bit drunk.  We would sweat it out as fast as we drank it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Chris, Rat Man)