Send Topic Print
A Clarification (Read 493 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
A Clarification
Jul 18th, 2022 at 7:08pm

A while ago Morphy posted something about a Martial Arts instructor who advocated the use of the palm heel strike in place of the jab, reason being you're less likely to injure your hand that way.  I tried to find the post but couldn't. In it I pointed out that in doing so you'd be shortening your reach by four inches or so which is considerable.  The way I worded my statement it probably sounded like I consider the palm heel strike worthless.  This isn't the case.  The palm heel strike is something I've used successfully in real situations.  It's a very handy tool to add to your arsenal and is particularly effective at close range.  It's a great way to break your opponent's nose and adjust his attitude. 
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2022 at 11:25pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Re: A Clarification
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 12:04am

*heel
"I think you mean THEIR attitude...Goff"

**Fly's away proudly**  Smiley

I have avoided fights by punching walls and steel pipes. People tend to rethink their intentions when they see you full send into concrete, brick, or steel. Which is good because I have no desire to hurt anyone (and I don't know anything about fighting).

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 6:50am

I avoid fights by avoiding drunk people.
90% of just random fights are started by drunk people.

That and cultivating an air of someone nobody would want to start a fight with, has worked for 50 odd years so far.
Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 9:22am

MMF wrote on Jul 19th, 2022 at 12:04am:
*heel
"I think you mean THEIR attitude...Goff"

**Fly's away proudly**  Smiley

I have avoided fights by punching walls and steel pipes. People tend to rethink their intentions when they see you full send into concrete, brick, or steel. Which is good because I have no desire to hurt anyone (and I don't know anything about fighting).

Avoiding fights is always the best tactic.  I was an MP in the army so I wasn't always afforded that option.  And thanks, I hate misspelled words.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 10:59am

How many of the fights you couldn't avoid involved drunk people ?

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2022 at 12:34pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jul 19th, 2022 at 10:59am:
How many of the fights you couldn't avoid involved drunk people ?

Alcohol was almost always involved.  Same with every traffic accident with fatalities or serious injuries I investigated.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, Masiakasaurus, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Chris)