Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
International slinging event Ibiza 2022 (Read 6615 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: International slinging event Ibiza 2022
Reply #45 - Oct 14th, 2022 at 8:34am

Lol, oh yeah competition slinging takes a bit if getting used to.

First time I did it, my hands were shaking afterwards.

You soon get used to it Smiley

Using the irregular stones makes the most difference I reckon.

Just one if the reasons I'd like to see a more standardised ammo type.

But it's all good fun Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #46 - Oct 15th, 2022 at 10:29pm

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #47 - Oct 16th, 2022 at 4:09pm

Who's the big bloke standing next to Christian ?

Is that the beach where people go to see the sunset ?

Been there Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #48 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 10:37am

So did you guys just stay in ibiza or vanish !

What happened, who won ?
And other such obvious questions Smiley

IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #49 - Oct 18th, 2022 at 1:19pm

Yeah looking forwards to hearing how things went. Where's the full report!?

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #50 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 3:26am

Channing, Uwe and Mersa got cups on the official. I don't know the scores I don't even remember mine...
Curious Aardvark wrote on Oct 16th, 2022 at 4:09pm:
Who's the big bloke standing next to Christian ?

Modesto

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #51 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 7:11am

What were you drinking ? Smiley

I should point out that international ;lunches tend to run to 3 hours with free wine and beer on tap, so you know, afternoon sessions can get a bit 'fuzzy' Wink
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2022 at 10:52am by Curious Aardvark »  

IP Logged

David Morningstar
Slinging.org Moderator

Slinging Rocks!

UK
Reply #52 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 5:12pm

I think I have just about recovered  Grin

It was great to see lots of new people. Lewis (Archaic Arms) did the UK proud with his excellent performance. I scored in every competition which is better than I have managed in some previous years so I'm really happy. The hangover on Monday was brutal, thankfully I had a late flight back.

I will be sorting through the video I shot but I wont be rushing anything out.

It was brilliant to see everyone and I hope to see you next year!

IP Logged

David Beatty
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

New Brunswick, Canada
Reply #53 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 6:44pm

Thank you for the report. Look forward to the visuals.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #54 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:42pm

I wanted to make a longer post about the event so that others will know what to expect. So here goes:

The cost of the event was the cost of the hotel (likely to be ~110-130  €/night for a 2 person room, ~70  €/night for 1 person) + 30€ for covering the cost of the event.  Breakfast and dinner were served at the hotel and were included in the cost, all of the lunch time meals were organized in one way or another. So, you really don't need to worry about food unless you want to eat elsewhere.  All in all, not a bad price for everything included, the airfare was the most expensive part of the trip.

Pep generally didn't share an agenda other than the day before, so I will tell you now what we did, so you can know what to expect.

We arrived at the airport on Thursday and took a taxi to Sant Antoni (28 €).

Thursday 4PM: Went to Sant Josep to Club JASA to throw stones at a single balearic target. Took the public bus, 4€ roundtrip. Threw 2 stones in turn to warm up ( a few rounds) and then had 2 rounds of 5 stones.  Uwe did well. The rest of us choked Smiley. Edit: I forgot! Sarosh did well too, he came in 3rd!

Friday: A bus that was just for the event (no cost) picked us up.
11AM: We went to a school at 11AM to do some demonstrations for some school kids.  This was actually a very small part of the time, and only 2 demos were actually done and mostly handled by the local folks. We were there for about 2 hours, the rest of the time just messing around throwing at a single target and at walls, trying each others slings, etc.
3-5PM: Boat tour from Sant Antoni, around the northern part of the island out to Ses Margalides. I quite enjoyed this.
5:30-6PM: Went to a beach that would make any slinger salivate that was near the airport. Excellent. (a few of us went back later). Arguably one of the best 30 minutes of the whole event. More on this later.
6:30-8PM: Cultural event and welcome. We watched a traditional dance put on by a historical group and had a welcome speech from some representatives who helped support the event.

Saturday: ~9-10AM: We had to change hotels because the one we were in was closing for the season. Pep mentioned that this won't happen again next year. 
~10AM:Event Bus to a school in San Joan for the first tennis ball round, lots of available warm up before, but once the competition was about to start, each competitor, in competition order, could take 5 more warm up throws. Then you had your 2 rounds of 5 throws.   Then we had lunch about 1 hours later at the school on tables outside. They ordered paella and salad that was delivered for us. The gaps inbetween were filled with slinging talk and lots of slinging tennis balls Smiley On this competition round Modesto scored 14 points and Diego Camuñas scored 13 and I think Uwe did 12.
~3PM: Bus back to a beach near Sant Antoni for stones. Same rules as with tennis balls. We randomly warmed up then at the competition start, 5 to warm up and then 2 rounds of 5. I think Modesto did 10. Channing did well, 9 I think. I don't recall other people's scores.

Sunday:
9AM we left for....I don't recall what it was called, it was next to a big sports arena... But we set up to throw stones, again same rules.  Again, Uwe, Modesto, Channing all did pretty well.
11-12AM: Left for San Carlos for lunch and tennis balls in a public area. Lunch was a bit hectic so many of us went to another restaurant.  Then we ended with tennis balls rounds.

After every event, tennis balls, or stones, trophies for the 10 throws were given (I personally think this is a bit excessive, maybe 1 for tennis balls, one for stones and one for overall.

Monday: My wife and I, Archaic Arms and his folks, Sarosh, Mersa, all went to Castell d'Eivissa for a few hours just to see something historical (the USA just doesn't have old stuff), then had lunch and afterwards took a taxi to the beach near the airport. We stayed for probably close to 3.5 hours just chuckin' stones into the sea.  It was glorious.

The best part about this whole event was meeting the people,  hands down. Meeting all these people that I've known for years only through this site was a real honor.  I don't know anyone else that can understand the obsession that I have with this obscure sport other than these gentlemen.  The discussions that we were able to have would have taken months through medium such as this site and we could have it in minutes. And then we continued that for 4 days. It was truly incredible. One of the best experiences of my life, for sure.  Thank you all who attended for making it such a great experience.

I certainly want to try to organize something here in the USA now. There are definitely improvements that could be made and I can now see a lot of what is needed for an event like this to be successful.

Hopefully that helps if you are on the fence about it. In my opinion, if you are obsessed with slinging enough that people around you roll their eyes when you mention it, you should probably try to make it to this event at least once.

As far as performance in the competition goes, everyone who was there for the first time did pretty poorly, myself included. Having to shoot 5 shots essentially cold is much more difficult than I had thought it would be. Plus there are a bit of nerves from fact that it is a competition, but I think that will fade with more competition experience. But C_A, you weren't kidding about performance. Excellent, very accurate slingers were doing very poorly in this format. It was certainly an eye-opening experience in that regard. I didn't fully understand what you meant until experiencing it myself.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2022 at 10:55am by IronGoober »  

map.png (238 KB | 37 )
map.png

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #55 - Oct 19th, 2022 at 8:53pm

Excellent recap IG. Thumbs Up

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #56 - Oct 20th, 2022 at 11:40am

Yep that sums it up excellently ig.

Did your wife participate ?

As far as competition nerves goes, apparently it's much worse when I'm there, as I shout a lot of encouragement at people lol. Christian, hates it - somehow that tends to make me shout louder Wink
The whole noise level: with people shouting, slings cracking, target thumps and clangs and the constant need to keep half an eye out for stones coming sideways from some of the Balearic slingers, makes it a unique slinging environment.

Personally I wouldn't change that aspect for anything Smiley

How did you guys break things down for the team events ?

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #57 - Oct 20th, 2022 at 1:49pm

Awesome recap Irongoober!!
Yeah I performed much below what I was expecting and my average. I wasn’t on fire that’s for sure but the competition is basically secondary in the experience. As Irongoober said it was amazing Meeting everyone and having discussions about slinging with eager ears.
Big props to channing he really pulled it together under the pressure and made a solid performance 2 years in a row. What a beast . As did Modesto and uwe top 3 2 years in a row what kings !!
AA is just a freaking anomaly, dude small and throws as hard as big Luis. Irongoober throws some absolute heat as well witnessing those 3 power is something else in real life . Definitely made my day seeing both of them throwing distance on the last day at sunset. Sarosh is a beast as well throwing accurate and hard . His win in the shootout was memorable.
Lots of Fantastic people and great times were had .
Other than the 4 days I lost in travel the holiday was one of the best weeks in my life and definitely the best slinging related experience.

Here’s a little compilation on my instagram

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cj6qKKjB-XB/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Gonna be hard to not try and go again next year that’s for sure.

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #58 - Oct 20th, 2022 at 6:08pm

Thanks for the comprehensive recap IG!

What a great time.
So much fun to be able to live slinging for a few days with a quality group of likeminded people. Superb company. The discussions and meeting everybody was simply marvellous, and reason enough to go; The competition felt to me almost like something to just bide the time haha. The weather was also very consistently sunny and unyielding, so shade was sought everywhere we went. At first I thought it impressive how many hand selected stones there were for practice and competition, until I witnessed the beach literally made of sling stones. Probably just got a bucket and scooped! Grin

Very refreshing experience.
I definitely feel a lot more inspired than I did before I came.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #59 - Oct 20th, 2022 at 6:24pm

Sounds amazing! You are all making me very jealous! Next year I'll be there for sure.

Two years missed in a row is too much!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Bill Skinner, LightSlinger, Chris, Mauro Fiorentini, Rat Man)