Cheaper radar gun (Read 358 times)
IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Cheaper radar gun
Jun 27th, 2022 at 12:50am

I was very curious if a cheaper radar gun was available that could go higher than 130 mph (Pocket Radar limit).  I found the FX Chronograph for airguns.  I was a bit hesitant to spend even more on a radar gun but figured if it worked well I could share it with everyone here and give people a somewhat affordable option if anyone was so inclined. 

The unit is about 200 USD.  It has a max speed of 1600fps which is nearly 500m/s.

I was afraid that since it is typically mounted to a gun barrel that it's range would be too short to use with slings . However that fear seems to be unfounded.   The unit seems to work with slings just fine.  I set it up just like the pocket radar with the unit aimed in line with my release point and angle.

I found it picked up my throws just fine. I tried stones and tennis balls and both worked fine.

I have yet to compare the results of both units or see how accurate it is, but I have seen comparisons with airguns that's re spot on.

One nice thing about this unit is that there are a lot more options to control it than the pocket radar. You can control the sensitivity it needs to give a reading, the readout units, and even have it automatically calculate energy by inputting the projectile weight.

Here is a video of its use. 34" sling, 50-60g stones, and the unit is on the ground pointed slightly up.   I had it at chest level earlier pointed level and it also worked great   it is about 260m across the lake and 20m down. My best flat to slightly up (maybe 10 degrees) releases were landing about 10m short of the other side.

https://youtu.be/gBhGXEMsw-s
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2022 at 12:46pm by IronGoober »  

John R.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Re: Cheaper radar gun
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 12:17am

Well, a quick comparison with a thrown tennis ball shows they are within 2mph of each other.( The pocket radar and the FX).

John R.

IP Logged

Sarosh
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 11:11am

i just checked the price of pocket radar and it's 400$ are they serious? I remember it being less than 200$, maybe I'm confused. Then it was 200$. When did it double in price?

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 11:50am

I think they might only be selling their "Smart" version, which has a Bluetooth connection to a phone. (but so does the FX).

The original Pocket Radar would only read out on the screen. I think you can still find them, but maybe they stopped making them.

John R.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 12:37pm

Great stuff IG!

@Sarosh - When I got my Pocket Radar I think it was $300.  The one I got doesn't have the hook up ability for a phone though.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2022 at 3:07pm

I think essentially with the "Pocket Radar Smart Coach" (PRSC), you are paying a lot for the software development that they put into the app. Putting the watermark on the screen with the speed readout is computationally intensive and probably took a while to develop so it was efficient.  It is a really nice feature and really good for working on one's form/biomechanics. 

But if you have a separate camera that you can use in conjunction with another phone+FX chronograph. I'd go with the FX because the functionality is essentially the same as the PRSC, but it is cheaper.

I also found out inadvertently, that it seems to work with the object coming toward the unit as well as away from the unit. So that was a nice discovery. (good for behind a net or something like that).

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, vetryan15, Chris, Morphy, joe_meadmaker, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)