Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Phoebe got another badger (Read 404 times)
Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Phoebe got another badger
Jun 22nd, 2022 at 7:31am

Fortunately badgers are every bit as tough as they are made out to be.

This one was in the garden.
It's been hot, so I had the balcony door open last night.

I'm watching forged in fire, when there's a godawful racket from the garden.

Got there just when she'd finished the scragging phase and put it down.

At this point rabbits and squirrels are dead and then get swalloed, head first and whole.

I swear she's part python.

The badger was lying on its side and breathing hard.
I couldn't see anything out of place and it's breathing was hard, but not ragged, I presume it was just in shock.

Got Phoebe back in the house, reluctant as she was to leave her Late night snack behind.

Couple of hours later, no sign of it.

I presume it was one if this year's youngsters.
Surprisingly long legs, it actually looked just like a honey badger, same sort of size.
Fully grown European badgers are a good bit larger than honey badgers, hence my assumption this was a youngster.

One of these days I'd actually quite like to see a badger Phoebe hadn't just scragged.

At least I now know the time of night they're around the top half of the garden.

I'll give it a week and see if I can get anything on the wildlife camera Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Re: Phoebe got another badger
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 8:29am

I'm glad we don't have badgers here.  My crew would surely tangle with them if we did. I guess our biggest threat is skunks.  Pandora and my late Kali have both been sprayed.  With Pandora it wasn't that bad because it was an indirect hit but poor Kali got it point blank in the face.  She never messed with skunks again. 
    I know we have porcupines in New Jersey but I've never seen one so I don't worry much about them.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 5:37pm

Yeah damn glad we don't have skunks in England Smiley

My sister's partners old Akita used to regularly get skunked in Canada.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 6:45am

poor badger

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

slingbadger
Interfector Viris Spurii

Don't Badger a Badger

Akron NY
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 2:57pm

I know you have Canada geese, AKA Insane murder chickens. Don't let the dog mess with them.

goose.jpg (80 KB | 11 )
goose.jpg

The greatest of all the accomplishments of 20th cent. science has been the discovery of human ignorance  The main difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits.-Einstein   I'm getting psychic as I get older. Or is that psychotic?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Curious Aardvark)