Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Making the swap to index finger loop (Read 367 times)
AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Making the swap to index finger loop
Jun 20th, 2022 at 12:06pm

While in the sling cage today I gave the index finger loop a serious try  ... inspired by Arcaic Arms his use of this grip and his excellent performance

I think it's my new go to loop position. I don't understand how and why, but it feels great and I get a cleaner spiral spin with less effect/curve compared with the loop on the middle finger. There are of course so many individual factors that determine a release that this may not be true for everyone

Tecnica de precision, while very secure on the projectile, does give me too many fouls than I like to permit and grabbing both release and retention together, doesn't feel as clean releasing as holding only on to the release cord and letting go.  But going to a middle finger loop, feels too insecure on the projectile during pre rotation. This loop on the index finger feels like a perfect solution.

Somehow I've always neglected the index finger loop position. Even though it was the position I started out using when I first began as a 12 year old boy. Later I thought it wasn't a good position because it looked awkwward to me for achieving a rifle spin-- but in practice it just happens perfectly well

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Re: Making the swap to index finger loop
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2022 at 5:06pm

It is my go-to grip when using a smooth, flat cord release. This is because I find I have better grip on the cord, I find there is less loop-chafing, and the sling rotates better. The grip feels repeatable.
With a knot, the loop on the middle finger feels better to me.

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2022 at 10:07pm

How exactly does that work? Wouldn’t the sling fly off your hand when you release, or do you then use a different finger for holding the release cord? Or do you use the side of your hand and thumb?

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2022 at 3:34am

I grip the release cord with my index, thumb and the remainder with my other 3 fingers pushing it into the palm. So there's no difference regarding that. Haven't had any issues yet with it flying off. So far I am still sticking with the index finger loop position on my conventional slings. It works well for me

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Curious Aardvark, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Morphy, Kick, Rat Man)