Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to solve the slinging problem of finger-loop chafe ? (Read 1511 times)
Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

Re: How to solve the slinging problem of finger-loop chafe ?
Reply #15 - Jun 8th, 2022 at 1:32pm

Wow, thanks for the input everyone.  I'm surprised that not many people experience this issue.  IronGoober seems to be the only one so far who understands me!  haha

Y'all are right to point out to me that not every sling has a finger loop.  Good point.  And some even have wrist loops.  I would guess that wrist loops just result in wrist chafe though?

Tombelaine, thanks for the link to the British Museum!  Wow!  There are some really high-class intricate sling finds.  I need to up my weaving game for sure!  I especially like the ones from Micronesia and the Marquesas, the Pacific Islands etc.  I didn't realize we have found so many awesome extent slings.  Some of these are made from coconut fibers and rough vegetable fibers etc that look really coarse/rough/scratchy.  I would have to imagine they would tear skin during heavy throwing.  But As,+.1961 has a really nice thick finger loop...  Some don't have finger loops at all.  None have double finger loops, and only one loop I see even cinches.

I use a lot of jute and rough hemp (twine is pretty coarse, not smooth seaming twine), but I also have the problem with paracord.  I'm just throwing tennis balls.

Maybe I have been going about this all wrong in my personal slinging.  I have been trying to do a double finger loop and cinch it down really tight, but maybe this just distributes more chafe around my fingers.  Maybe it would be better to do one large, loose, wide, and smooth finger loop and allow it to swing/move around while twirling?

I didn't have the problem early in my slinging journey when I did mostly casual short slinging.  But also early in my journey I didn't cinch down the fingerloops tightly.

I'm going to have to mix things up and see what works for me, it sounds like this isn't a universal problem and it's probably from something I'm doing wrong.

First step, maybe I'll get back into a loose, wide single-finger loop and let them move around freely while throwing.  Maybe trying to make a tight loop is the opposite of what I should be doing.

Second step, maybe don't go so hard, stop when I get hot spots, use a lip balm or such after the session to help heal.  See if I can build callouses.  Using band-aids is only giving my fingers an excuse NOT to develop thicker skin.

I'll have to let you know how this goes in a few weeks.

I also definitely crack skin open on the inside of my release/pointer/index finger, for sure.  Especially with rough hemp.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #16 - Jun 8th, 2022 at 1:46pm

Sports tape fixes all. Smiley

John R.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #17 - Jun 8th, 2022 at 6:18pm

I've also always contended with "slingers fingers".
Ways I deal with it are by wrapping the finger-loop with something soft like wool yarn, or by holding the sling in a particular way. I find by having the finger-loop on the middle phalanx on my index finger, I experience less chafing than other grips.
When the blood runs, I use sports tape (a godsend)
Thick skin and callouses help a lot too once you develop have them.
Also I find Tiger Balm helps heal the dry cracked 'wounds' a lot faster...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #18 - Jun 8th, 2022 at 6:47pm

I've had it on occasion, but rarely. Usually I sew a leather cover on the underside of the loop if it's a rough material like sisal. On some paracord slings I just use a leather strip as the fingerloop which is extremely comfortable.

For some reason the worst I had was some form of braided nylon which just took the skin off so easily. Usually it's not too bad though, I tend to use a very loose fingerloop relative to other slingers too so not sure if that helps things.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #19 - Jun 9th, 2022 at 2:39am

Dawesome21 wrote on Jun 8th, 2022 at 1:32pm:
Tombelaine, thanks for the link to the British Museum!

All the credit goes to AncienCraftwork.

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1615648623

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2022 at 11:34pm

[/quote]. Wrist loops just made the blisters form on my wrist... [/quote]
I am surprised at that . Then I some times get a burn on the the index finger where I hold both strings

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #21 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 1:09am

John R.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #22 - Jun 16th, 2022 at 4:29pm

Use a sliding leather finger loop.

Because it pulls tight, there us no movement if the loop during slinging, so no rubbing.
And leather is comfortable and pliable.

I've never had any finger rubbing with any if my slings, even after extensive slinging sessions

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #23 - Jun 18th, 2022 at 12:13pm

TOMBELAINE wrote on Jun 9th, 2022 at 2:39am:
Dawesome21 wrote on Jun 8th, 2022 at 1:32pm:
Tombelaine, thanks for the link to the British Museum!

All the credit goes to AncienCraftwork.

https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1615648623

All credit goes back to Archaic Arms to whom if I remember correctly I owe the discovery of that museum page.

As to finger loop chaffing, multiple finger loops help as well to prevent it

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #24 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 9:27am

Curious Aardvark wrote on Jun 16th, 2022 at 4:29pm:
Use a sliding leather finger loop.

Because it pulls tight, there us no movement if the loop during slinging, so no rubbing.
And leather is comfortable and pliable.

I've never had any finger rubbing with any if my slings, even after extensive slinging sessions

Same here.  Never had a problem with this type of finger loop.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #25 - Jun 22nd, 2022 at 6:38pm

I do a bowline knot as my retention knot. Trick is to make it long enough to tuck under the tail and double the loop on your finger.

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

BasedCrusader
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2022 at 1:45pm

I just cry into my pillow until it goes away, but i bet back in the day they used aloe vera

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Morphy, vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Chris, Kick)