Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to solve the slinging problem of finger-loop chafe ? (Read 1512 times)
Dawesome21

Slinging Rocks!

How to solve the slinging problem of finger-loop chafe ?
Jun 6th, 2022 at 11:54am

I have two questions.

1. How does everyone solve their own problems of finger chafe when slinging?

2. How do you think ancient slingers solved the problem of finger-loop chafe, and how would this solution be different from the modern-day?

A sling by nature has a finger retention loop.  And as I throw with the sling, it is rotating around and chafing my finger inside the loop.  It can even chafe the fingers next to it.  I thought I would solve this problem by adding a second finger loop, so using my middle and ring fingers to retain the sling, and not just my middle finger.  But this has only reduced the problem and not solved it.  After a couple of hundred shots, I still tear the skin on the base of my fingers.  I have resorted to using heavy-duty band-aids around the base of each finger.  This, with the double-finger loop, has sufficiently solved the problem for me.  But I am wondering, how do other slingers attack this issue?  And more importantly, how did ancient professional slingers attack this issue?  If a sling has this problem by nature, then ancient slingers must have had their own solution, which is probably better than my solution since they were professionals.  Plus, all of the re-enactors, modern Balearic slingers, and ancient sling finds that I know of only have one finger loop.  I don't think I see anyone in Spain today using band-aids around their fingers, and they usually have just one finger loop.  How do they avoid tearing their skin off?  What am I missing here?  Do we have any evidence for how this problem was addressed in history?

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Re: How to solve the slinging problem of finger-loop chafe ?
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2022 at 5:01pm

Interesting. I use a sisal split braid with a single loop, and I've never had that problem. Even after hours of slinging. However, I have had chafe from long-tailed release cords after shooting really heavy stones.

IP Logged

Greenjay
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2022 at 5:06pm

Do you have a close up picture of your hand, with the sling  held in the ready position?

IP Logged

MMF

Slinging Rocks

The United States of America
Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2022 at 7:58pm

Maybe it's the material you are using (or thickness).
How heavy are the projectiles you're shooting?

I made a sling with 2 mm polyester cords that had a rough, scratchy surface and it would rip my skin but it would take over an hour of continuous practice.

For heavy ammo (>500g), I use slings with thicker finger loops ~1/4" (~65 mm).

As for ancient slingers, I'm not aware of any accounts related to your problem. It was not discussed by Livius who wrote about the Balearic and Achaean slingers as a historian. The sling is still used today in the Andes (where the oldest surviving slings have been found) and by shepards around the world. They also don't have this problem. The Spanish did not note anything either when they fought the Incas or the Aztecs who both used the sling against the Spanish. There are several other accounts on slinging too numerous to mention but none that I know of talk about this.

As for today, there are videos on YouTube of amazing slingers, many of which compete in tournaments and I don't recall any of them doing anything special to prevent chafing.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Jun 6th, 2022 at 8:40pm

I very often get blisters if I sling a lot (several hours). Calluses are the answer for most problems along these lines. A double finger loop also helps. A single finger loop is basically a guaranteed blister for me.

Athletic/medical tape on the fingers also provides a lot of protection.

Most of the balearic slingers put a piece of leather in the finger loop which slides on your skin more easily than fibrous material and it seems to spread the forces much better, too. You can see that they usually put in a very wide piece.

I would think that most ancient slingers would just develop calluses, but if it continued to be a problem, they may have just wrapped the fingers in cloth or leather. That would have helped solve the issue (like athletic tape).

John R.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 2:17am

I get chafed skin at my index finger knuckle, but I hold my sling unlike most other slingers.

I used lip balm on my chafed and cracked slinging finger. Eventually it will callous and won't be so much of an issue.

Other solutions may be to wear a glove, or buy some elastic finger protectors (ebay), or even using sports tape.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 3:31am

Dawesome21 wrote on Jun 6th, 2022 at 11:54am:
all of the re-enactors, modern Balearic slingers, and ancient sling finds that I know of only have one finger loop

Dawesome21 wrote on Jun 6th, 2022 at 11:54am:
A sling by nature has a finger retention loop

All archeological  sling don't "necessary" have a fingerloop.
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?action=downloadfile;file=enluminures%2Epdf

I don't use a fingerloop, I hold the retention cord in my palm.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 3:56am

If we take the time to look, several ethnological slings don't have fingerloop. Page 2, the sling made in Tierra del Fuego is interesting.

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/term/x9128

I admit I didn't answer your question.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2022 at 7:13am by TOMBELAINE »  

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 8:07am

A nice cinch can help but it’s very dependent on materials some just cut u up more

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 10:34am

I solve that problem by using a wrist loop

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 11:32am

That's a problem I've never had.

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 12:18pm

I've had this issue mainly from finger loops with a rougher texture, or finger loops that are larger in size which allows them to slide around on the finger(s).

I'm currently using a loop on the pinky finger and keep it pretty snug.  No issues with any rubbing, chafing, or blisters as of yet.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 12:19pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 7th, 2022 at 11:32am:
    That's a problem I've never had.

Really? I am very surprised. I thought all slingers would have some skin rip-age.

That was the immediate problem I had when I first made a sling at 14 years old. The blisters were so bad and painful that I didn't sling for another 8 years because I didn't know how to solve the issue. Wrist loops just made the blisters form on my wrist...

John R.

IP Logged

Sir Missalot
Descens

almost always miss, occasionally
by a mile

Midlands, South Kakalaki
Reply #13 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 2:18pm

I don't get this problem because I pass both cords through my palm so there's no swing-rubbing.

You could line the loop with rabbit fur if you have some, or, lacking that, whip the loop with some fluffy acrylic yarn.

It'll still rub, but at least it's cushy.  Hmmm... too much sweat would ruin that, though.  Worth a try, it's easily reversible if it doesn't make you happy.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #14 - Jun 7th, 2022 at 7:11pm

Sir Missalot wrote on Jun 7th, 2022 at 2:18pm:
I don't get this problem because I pass both cords through my palm so there's no swing-rubbing.

You could line the loop with rabbit fur if you have some, or, lacking that, whip the loop with some fluffy acrylic yarn.

It'll still rub, but at least it's cushy.  Hmmm... too much sweat would ruin that, though.  Worth a try, it's easily reversible if it doesn't make you happy.

Sounds like you hold your sling like I do, with both cords next to each other, and the release knot between the end of the thumb and the first knuckle of the index finger?

I've still managed to crack my skin at the first knuckle if the index finger during extended sessions.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, Morphy, Kick, Curious Aardvark)