Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lead glandes,etc (Read 555 times)
Mattias_A
Novicius

Slinging Rocks!

Lead glandes,etc
May 20th, 2022 at 2:34pm

Hi! Would some cheap olive shaped lead fishing sinkers work? It's sort of that shape,I've seen some on wish,or Aliexpress,, available in several weights.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Re: Lead glandes,etc
Reply #1 - May 20th, 2022 at 5:35pm

Of course. But size will be important. You really want around 50 grams, and buying will be expensive. A cheap sinker mold can be obtained on ebay and you can cast your own with about 50 bucks worth of equipment (gas stove, some gas bottles, a cheap pot and long metal cooking spoon from the thrift store, the mold itself, a piece of wood to hold the mold and prevent spilling out the ends if you're making solid ammo, goggles, dust mask)

Lead costs $2 per kilo in Australia from the metal scrappers.

Once you're set up you can make a heap for next to nothing 🙂 cost you the same to buy a 100 odd sinkers as it would to set your backyard casting set up would. My lead balls weigh I think 120 grams for the larger ones perfect spheres. Amazing to sling.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2022 at 5:37pm

Sorry, I meant 50 grams weight, minimum. I prefer between 80 grams and 150 grams for my ideal slinging weights.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2022 at 5:47am

50 grams is enough because lead is much denser than a rock. So the behaviour "in the hand and in the sling" is different than a rock.
Test and you will understand what I mean. Now it is up to you  to judge what weight you prefer to feel.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #4 - May 21st, 2022 at 7:44am

TOMBELAINE wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 5:47am:
50 grams is enough because lead is much denser than a rock. So the behaviour "in the hand and in the sling" is different than a rock.
Test and you will understand what I mean. Now it is up to you  to judge what weight you prefer to feel.

True. I think the main issue for me is that a 50 gram sinker is very small in diamter because lead is so heavy. Even my 150 gram lead ammo is very small in diameter compared with the rocks I usually sling, if you're used to slinging tennis ball sized ammo it's a bit of an adjustment.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2022 at 7:46am

slingostarr wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 5:35pm:
Of course. But size will be important. You really want around 50 grams, and buying will be expensive. A cheap sinker mold can be obtained on ebay and you can cast your own with about 50 bucks worth of equipment (gas stove, some gas bottles, a cheap pot and long metal cooking spoon from the thrift store, the mold itself, a piece of wood to hold the mold and prevent spilling out the ends if you're making solid ammo, goggles, dust mask)

Once you're set up you can make a heap for next to nothing 🙂 cost you the same to buy a 100 odd sinkers as it would to set your backyard casting set up would. My lead balls weigh I think 120 grams for the larger ones perfect spheres. Amazing to sling.

This is an excellent idea.  Egg sinkers would be your best bet.  When  I was a kid my Dad and I would make our own fishing weights.  It cost us nothing because he stole the lead from work. I still have some of it today. Making fishing weights is very easy to do.  Just be sure that you do it outside or at least where there is good ventilation.  Lead fumes are very toxic.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #6 - May 21st, 2022 at 7:40pm

Rat Man wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 7:46am:

This is an excellent idea.  Egg sinkers would be your best bet.  When  I was a kid my Dad and I would make our own fishing weights.  It cost us nothing because he stole the lead from work. I still have some of it today. Making fishing weights is very easy to do.  Just be sure that you do it outside or at least where there is good ventilation.  Lead fumes are very toxic. 

Very true. I spoke to an oldschool lead melter when I first got into into it, he told me that the trick to not getting lead poisoning is to not heat the lead to the point where it turns a gold color on top, that's when it starts to become fumes. Keep it a nice silver color not too hot and it'll be fine. He sold bulk sinkers that he cast indoors! I do not recommend doing that 😂

I believe I gave myself lead poisoning once when I started and didn't wear a mask. Had cold/flu symptoms.for a couple of days afterwards.

Also, thick leather gloves, pants and boots are important to wear. Keep a set of crappy old clothes just dedicated to wearing while casting, and wash them separately to your normal clothes (or don't ever wash them again). I have all my lead clothes in a bag.

The other trick to casting perfect ammo is to ensure the mold is almost the same temperature as the melted lead. Just let it sit in the gas stove flames for a while or submerge it in the melted lead beforr casting. Or cast ten dodgy lots and it'll start to get hot enough to make no air gaps or half set sinkers.

I've also found spheres to be more forgiving to sling than traditional glande shapes. I think with more practise of the rifle spin to get it flying like an American football the glandes would be better. But for amateurs like myself, spheres seem to be less concerned about my technique.

Is there any scrap metal places near you? There's two in my town. $2 a kilo is the average price and often he will round the price down after I pick  all the nice bits of lead off the pile and put it all on the scale.

IP Logged

lobohunter
Interfector Viris Spurii

where be a rock and a
string there be a sling

Cottage Grove or
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2022 at 10:29am

I love a good 75 gram egg sinker
Right size and shape but fair warning they disappear into the ground never to found again!

Albert Scott C bigbadwolf41 77940+hwy+99+south,+Spc+22  
IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #8 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 7:00am

Just for illustrate :
The tennisball and the lead weigh 50 grams.
The cement egg weighs 75 grams.
Three different sensations when throwing.

DSCN4703.JPG (108 KB | 17 )
DSCN4703.JPG

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #9 - Jun 2nd, 2022 at 2:49pm

slingostarr wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 7:40pm:

Very true. I spoke to an oldschool lead melter when I first got into into it, he told me that the trick to not getting lead poisoning is to not heat the lead to the point where it turns a gold color on top, that's when it starts to become fumes. Keep it a nice silver color not too hot and it'll be fine. He sold bulk sinkers that he cast indoors! I do not recommend doing that 😂

I believe I gave myself lead poisoning once when I started and didn't wear a mask. Had cold/flu symptoms.for a couple of days afterwards.

Also, thick leather gloves, pants and boots are important to wear. Keep a set of crappy old clothes just dedicated to wearing while casting, and wash them separately to your normal clothes (or don't ever wash them again). I have all my lead clothes in a bag.

In the sixties we didn't know any better.  Dad and I made weights indoors without ventilation, breathed asbestos dust while cutting shingles for the house, breathed fiberglass while insulating the attic, etc.  It's a miracle I'm still alive.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #10 - Jun 3rd, 2022 at 6:46am

Rat Man wrote on Jun 2nd, 2022 at 2:49pm:
slingostarr wrote on May 21st, 2022 at 7:40pm:

In the sixties we didn't know any better.  Dad and I made weights indoors without ventilation, breathed asbestos dust while cutting shingles for the house, breathed fiberglass while insulating the attic, etc.  It's a miracle I'm still alive.

They're definitely bad for you, but having done these things isn't necessarily a death sentence or guaranteed health issues down the track. I've heard of people breathing asbestos dust for years and having no repercussions from it. Just don't keep doing them 😆

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Rat Man, vetryan15, Morphy, Curious Aardvark)