Send Topic Print
A New Family Member (Read 914 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
A New Family Member
May 14th, 2022 at 11:59am

As many of you know I was into a really good walking program.  I was doing a legit forty five miles a week with the dogs.  On March 24th my left foot blew up... Plantar Fasciitis.  For six weeks I was unable to dog walk at all.  I'm doing it now but on a limited basis. 
    I could have been working out for those six weeks I was nursing my foot if I'd had a stationary bike.  So I bought one, a Yosuda.  It arrived last Wednesday and dyslexic Rat Man had it together in two hours.  It probably would have taken any of you one. 
    It's heavy, solid steel, apparently well made, and stable.  I will use it every day until some other old person's bullshit injury pops up and I'm unable to.  I'm still going to try to get the walking back up to where it was but if my decrepit old carcass won't allow me to I should still be able to ride the bike.  This bike will absolutely not become a fancy clothes hanger.  Most of you know how cheap I am.  I'm not about to spend three hundred and fifty bucks on something and not use it. 
    There was a nice Schwinn recumbent bike I was looking at but it had a lot of superfluous electronics on it that I really don't need. My coach has always been in my own head.  They drove its price up to a hundred and fifty more than the Yosuda, which has a simple but adequate monitor. 

Yosuda.jpg (215 KB | 24 )
Yosuda.jpg

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Re: A New Family Member
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2022 at 11:51am

you know a cheap walking/jogging machine can be used to exercise dogs.

The huskies are probably fine - but poor old benji needs his walkies !

Good luck with the foot !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2022 at 7:43pm

Thought we were going to see a dog picture when I click on this post.  Grin

Hope the foot heals up!

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - May 16th, 2022 at 8:01pm

Looks like a good investment there RM. Gotta keep finding solutions.

C_A that reminds me of the giant hamster wheels. I love that in the middle ages we had hamster wheels for humans (raise loads on construction) and hamster wheels for dogs (turn that spit fido!).

I've been toying with the idea but haven't gotten anywhere with using an exercise machine to compress air or charge an LED light source. It would be nice that since I need to workout for another 60 years that I could use that energy for something else.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2022 at 11:36am

Very cool RM. And a bonus being you can do it just as easily on those winter days.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #5 - May 27th, 2022 at 8:27am

Morphy wrote on May 26th, 2022 at 11:36am:
Very cool RM. And a bonus being you can do it just as easily on those winter days.

Huskies and I love Winter cold but being an old fart, ice is a big concern.  I've taken way too may prat falls on ice in my life and I don't know how many more the miserable old carcass has left in it before something serious happens.  So the bike will keep me going on those icy, high slip risk days.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2022 at 8:32am

Today marks one month of the torture bike.  I've only missed one day of using it.  Though I might have lost a couple of pounds and tightened up a bit t's too soon to expect any noticeable physical changes. It kicks my old arse royally which is what I need.  If I just keep hammering away it will work.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2022 at 4:55pm

Rat Man wrote on Jun 10th, 2022 at 8:32am:
If I just keep hammering away it will work.

That's the ol' American spirit!

John R.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #8 - Jul 29th, 2022 at 7:48pm

All was going well.  I worked out without missing a day for two and a half months.  Then a week ago my right knee blew out... my good knee. It seems to be slowly healing. Hopefully I won't lose that much time.  At least I'm functional.  This is what trying to get in shape in your late sixties is about.  You get into a good routine and the miserable old decrepit carcass quits.  After I heal I'm going to try a little less tension on Torture Bike.  I am not defeated.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #9 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 6:09am

Lol, my body started to fall apart pretty much when I hit 50, so you're still a decade up on me

I will say, get your glucose levels checked.

My increasing injury tally was directly related to undiagnosed diabetes.

It's amazing what excess glucose does.
From inhibiting the body's natural healing ability to causing nerve damage.
And those are just the really fun things.

I tore both Achilles tendons, both quadriceps and did something excruciating to my right knee - twice !
All in the space of about 3 years.
Seemed like I spent 2 years either limping or learning how to walk properly again.

Touch wood, since I've got things under control, I've had no issues beyond a touch of arthritis.

As the saying goes: Getting old is not for wimps.

Good luck with the knee.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #10 - Aug 29th, 2022 at 11:39am

I still haven't been able to ride Torture Bike but at least I'm back to two dog walks a day.  Hopefully this week I'll attempt the bike again.  Being fit when you're old amounts to trying to find exercises you can do that won't hurt you while your body falls apart.  I'm not defeated.  I'll find a routine that works for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Bill Skinner, David Morningstar, Mauro Fiorentini, Chris, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Rat Man)