Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Best sling projectiles for purchase in bulk. Very Lethal. (Read 1545 times)
Foresight17

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Best sling projectiles for purchase in bulk. Very Lethal.
Reply #15 - May 16th, 2022 at 1:59am

Lacumo wrote on May 15th, 2022 at 7:26am:
Quote:
Sadly no, I just spent 90 bucks on 1 inch, 66.3 gram steel ball bearings (100 of them) and don't want to buy more expensive ammo atm lol. However I do plan too, and with the steel I'm reaching 150 meters roughly on UPHILL shots, so first I'm gonna try to get really acclimated to the balls before I try anything the requires rifling since I'm still pretty new to slinging. I think I could beat my record of 169 meters on a flat surface with these pretty easily and can't wait to try!

Where did you find 1" steel balls?   I've never been able to find any that size.

They're on amazon actually, here's a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Chrome-Steel-Bearing-Balls/dp/B015RP9WP6/ref=mp_s_a_...

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #16 - May 16th, 2022 at 3:22am

Lacumo wrote on May 15th, 2022 at 9:03am:
slingostarr wrote on May 15th, 2022 at 7:57am:
If you want cheap ammo similar to this, grab some mild steel round bar (20mm) and cut it into 50m lengths. You can even shorpen them. 10mm round bar works well too. Cheap as.
Lead is cheap in Australia. Paying $2 per kilo at the moment. Gets me around 15 good sized round balls when I do some casting.

I tried using ~1.5" pieces of re-bar for slingshot ammo a few years ago.   It took forever to cut the pieces by hand with a hacksaw and the ammo was more erratic than it was consistent.   It was another of my well-intentioned ideas that didn't work out.   

Nah don't use rebar, it's too uneven. Just plain round bar. 50mm lengths cut with a cheap angle grinder is quick as. I stuck my pieces in a drill press and then made the ends conical with the grinder.

Even just plain 50mm lengths are deadly in a split pouch. They weigh 70 grams each.

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #17 - May 16th, 2022 at 6:45am

slingostarr wrote on May 16th, 2022 at 3:22am:
If you want cheap ammo similar to this, grab some mild steel round bar (20mm) and cut it into 50m lengths. You can even shorpen them. 10mm round bar works well too. Cheap as.
Lead is cheap in Australia. Paying $2 per kilo at the moment. Gets me around 15 good sized round balls when I do some casting.

I tried using ~1.5" pieces of re-bar for slingshot ammo a few years ago.   It took forever to cut the pieces by hand with a hacksaw and the ammo was more erratic than it was consistent.   It was another of my well-intentioned ideas that didn't work out.   

Nah don't use rebar, it's too uneven. Just plain round bar. 50mm lengths cut with a cheap angle grinder is quick as. I stuck my pieces in a drill press and then made the ends conical with the grinder.
Even just plain 50mm lengths are deadly in a split pouch. They weigh 70 grams each.

Thanks for the info.   I may try this one day.

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #18 - May 16th, 2022 at 7:29am

Lacumo wrote on May 16th, 2022 at 6:45am:
slingostarr wrote on May 16th, 2022 at 3:22am:

Thanks for the info.   I may try this one day.

Here's how they turned out

IP Logged

Lacumo

NY
Reply #19 - May 16th, 2022 at 8:05am

slingostarr wrote on May 16th, 2022 at 7:29am:

Those are actually beautiful.   The sad thing for me is that I do my slinging along the RR tracks, so I very rarely get to retrieve any of my ammo.   
I don't think I could just throw away carefully made and nicely crafted ammo like that.   

I used to think this was going to be simple.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #20 - May 16th, 2022 at 11:47am

lol the main drawback of exoensive high density ammo is the simple fact, you WILL lose it.

Now if you've got a local shooting range they let you use - far more likely in the states than anywhere else - that kind of stuff could be fun.

But just remember - it will travel a long way and be lethal at the end of it's journey.
So be careful out there !

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Reply #21 - May 16th, 2022 at 7:39pm

@slingostarr - Those things look sweet!  Thumbs Up

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #22 - May 17th, 2022 at 12:27am

Lacumo wrote on May 16th, 2022 at 8:05am:
slingostarr wrote on May 16th, 2022 at 7:29am:

Those are actually beautiful.   The sad thing for me is that I do my slinging along the RR tracks, so I very rarely get to retrieve any of my ammo.   
I don't think I could just throw away carefully made and nicely crafted ammo like that.   

Thanks man, yeah you definitely need a range or decent backstop if you're launching nice ammo. I have a huge clay wall I sling at. I lose the lead ammo and these steel torpedoes easily, but the concrete balls/eggs are easy to find as I paint them fluro pink/yellow

joe_meadmaker wrote on May 16th, 2022 at 7:39pm:
@slingostarr - Those things look sweet!  Thumbs Up

Thanks mate! 😊 they're mostly reserved as my SHTF ammo 😂 takes about five minutes to make one.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #23 - May 17th, 2022 at 3:00pm

Foresight17 wrote on May 15th, 2022 at 12:12am:
Rat Man wrote on May 13th, 2022 at 3:36pm:
   MS Paint makes it pretty easy to resize your pictures.
   Yes, they look awesome.  Have you tried them yet? 

Sadly no, I just spent 90 bucks on 1 inch, 66.3 gram steel ball bearings (100 of them) and don't want to buy more expensive ammo atm lol. However I do plan too, and with the steel I'm reaching 150 meters roughly on UPHILL shots, so first I'm gonna try to get really acclimated to the balls before I try anything the requires rifling since I'm still pretty new to slinging. I think I could beat my record of 169 meters on a flat surface with these pretty easily and can't wait to try!

169 meters isn't bad for someone who just started.  Keep it up.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #24 - May 17th, 2022 at 8:11pm

Here's my latest batch of ammo. Cheap, consistent, heavy (between 100 - 200grams). Fibre reinforced concrete balls and eggs. Cost about $5 for about 35 eggs and 18 balls. Could put nails through the middle if you wanted something with a point I guess.

These have been curing in water for about a month, just drying them off before I paint them in some bright colors. Rarely do they break, just have to worry about losing them 😆

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #25 - May 18th, 2022 at 12:19pm

nice Smiley

So does the water trick really make a difference ?

I get cement uses water to set - but a month ?

I would have thought a few days would do it for something that size.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #26 - May 18th, 2022 at 9:03pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 18th, 2022 at 12:19pm:
nice Smiley

It's hard to say conclusively. All I know is that I sling against a steel target on a clay bar with quartz in it and they hold up really well when I hit the steel plate or hit a rock, the worst is the odd chip. I heard somewhere that concrete can take up to 28 days to fully cure in water, I just leave em in a bucket and forget about em. 28 days flies past so quickly anyway 😆

I'll have to do some experiments at some stage with the same batch and different cure times.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #27 - May 18th, 2022 at 9:06pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 18th, 2022 at 12:19pm:
nice Smiley

Also, a cheap ($17AUD) Chinese 4" diamond concrete grinding disc on my a angle grinder goes through concrete like butter to get off the concrete burrs and lumps and bumps once they're set. Impossible with a standard grinding disc.

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #28 - May 19th, 2022 at 2:33am

slingostarr wrote on May 17th, 2022 at 12:27am:
yeah you definitely need a range or decent backstop if you're launching nice ammo.

I'm agree with you. It's ok for a target shot at 20/30 meters.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Curious Aardvark, Rat Man, joe_meadmaker, Chris, Kick, vetryan15, Morphy)