Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Facebook group is growing. Faster than expected (Read 1638 times)
slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Re: The Facebook group is growing. Faster than expected
Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2022 at 7:32am

larinen wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 7:07am:
slingostarr wrote on May 19th, 2022 at 6:22pm:
Loving the group. Although it would be nice if it was set to private, so only members can see who's in it and what is posted. I'm not entirely comfortable having friends being able to comment and like my posts. But maybe that's just me 🤷‍♂️

Same. Same.

Not that I want to keep my slinging secret, but I'd feel better engaging and posting if all 1800 of my Facebook friends couldn't randomly see it in their feeds.

Me too. I've even held off posting some things for that very reason.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Making Some Sick New Slings!

Idaho
Reply #16 - May 22nd, 2022 at 1:01pm

Well guys, a huge reason for creating the group is, so more people will be able to get involved. I have kept it as open so that we can get members to join from all walks. Not just people from the forum. I intend to set it to private once the group grows a bit, that way we can keep spam bots out etc. However, it is almost impossible to grow a group on Facebook if you set it to private off the start. Myself personally. If my family and friends can see my posts it doesn't bother me. If anything it will help add members. Which is the goal here guys. I am not trying to be coming across any kind of negative way either. I started this group to get more exposure to slinging in general. I can understand wanting the group private once it reaches a certain size, but it isn't like we are self incriminating on these posts so the more who sees the better. That is just my opinion as it is now though. I am not saying my mind can't be changed either. I just don't understand why anyone would be bothered by family or friends seeing a hobby we love? Again not trying to be rude, just trying to understand. Thanks guys. I want the group to be comfortable for you guys, but still want to attract new members who may have never google searched sling related things, to find the forum.

Hands dirty from throwing dead ducks I eat my lunch and earn my title.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #17 - May 22nd, 2022 at 5:49pm

Duckhands wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 1:01pm:
Well guys, a huge reason for creating the group is, so more people will be able to get involved. I have kept it as open so that we can get members to join from all walks. Not just people from the forum. I intend to set it to private once the group grows a bit, that way we can keep spam bots out etc. However, it is almost impossible to grow a group on Facebook if you set it to private off the start. Myself personally. If my family and friends can see my posts it doesn't bother me. If anything it will help add members. Which is the goal here guys. I am not trying to be coming across any kind of negative way either. I started this group to get more exposure to slinging in general. I can understand wanting the group private once it reaches a certain size, but it isn't like we are self incriminating on these posts so the more who sees the better. That is just my opinion as it is now though. I am not saying my mind can't be changed either. I just don't understand why anyone would be bothered by family or friends seeing a hobby we love? Again not trying to be rude, just trying to understand. Thanks guys. I want the group to be comfortable for you guys, but still want to attract new members who may have never google searched sling related things, to find the forum.

I think the reason it hasn't become an illegal activity yet is because it is so unknown. The more people kmow about it, the more people who shouldn't be doing it engage in it and ruin ot for rest of us. I thought the FB group would have more been for people here who aren't as active due to the oldschool format and inconvenient layout. Also this group doesn't have any attachment to personally idenrifying details. Slinging is a bit of a grey area legally in Australia too. It isn't listed as a weapon on AFP prohibited weapons list, but it also isn't something I would openly admit to a police officer that I possessed and used.

I understand your sentiment, I just personally am not comfortable with friends and family seeing my posts. I'll probably just stick with the forum here rather than engage too much in the FB group. Just my two cents 😊

IP Logged

Harja_Eschen
Tiro

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #18 - May 22nd, 2022 at 7:08pm

Curious Aardvark wrote on May 20th, 2022 at 7:02am:
really?
I can never find anything I've ever posted on any facebook group !

What's the trick ?

I think you can see all your posts on your Activity log. I haven’t been using Facebook as much as Twitter recently, so I’m not sure if things have changed.

IP Logged

Tint
Interfector Viris Spurii
Past Moderator

Hong Kong
Reply #19 - May 23rd, 2022 at 6:51pm

At work, my company block this site saying it is a site related to weapons....

That happened a few years ago and was the major cause of me being unless active.

The Facebook group is great! I am more motivated to practice and make slings. Thank you!

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #20 - May 23rd, 2022 at 10:11pm

Anyone who is worried about the privacy settings. I am trying to get FB to let users post anonymously, while remaining public. Just got to get the glitchy BS software to stop bugging and save the setting. If I get it working, would that be an acceptable compromise? I know some of you have concerns about raising awareness, but bows and arrows, slingshots, crossbows, and black powder muskets all have tons of publicity, and at least in the USA are all very minimally restricted.

IP Logged

slingostarr

Slinging Rocks!

Planet Earth
Reply #21 - May 23rd, 2022 at 11:42pm

Duckhands wrote on May 23rd, 2022 at 10:11pm:
Anyone who is worried about the privacy settings. I am trying to get FB to let users post anonymously, while remaining public. Just got to get the glitchy BS software to stop bugging and save the setting. If I get it working, would that be an acceptable compromise? I know some of you have concerns about raising awareness, but bows and arrows, slingshots, crossbows, and black powder muskets all have tons of publicity, and at least in the USA are all very minimally restricted.

I think that's a reasonable compromise.

Yeah I agree some those weapons are yet to be legislated, though it's probably just a matter of time. In Australia crossbows are illegal unless you get a specific license for one, which is exceptionally difficult. Slingshots are illegal. Black powder muskets require a gun license. I'm surprised compound bows are still legal. I would just hate to be a suspect in an instance where a rock was thrown. I'm pretty cautious about who I introduce slinging to, as it's such an easily made piece of equipment, so easily concealed and with ammunition available literally anywhere. If authorities got a whiff of it's potential here in leftist, nanny-state Australia I doubt they'd last long.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #22 - May 24th, 2022 at 8:23am

Slings aren’t a weapon like the ones you mentioned. It’s more akin to a throw.  You could “sling” with almost anything. Yes some are better designs but essentially a belt or scarfs can be used to sling with .
And you can sling marshmallows or lead glandes. Much is in the application and circumstances.  I think that it’s no more deadly or dangerous than a baseball bat or a broomstick. And probably less deadly in a non experienced user.

I don’t think a sling is very dangerous in itself.
What you throw could be considered dangerous in the wrong application but mostly to the user if they have no idea how to sling . In someway the sling is an ultra safe tool. And in the right application it’s more a toy or sport equipment than a “weapon”

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #23 - May 24th, 2022 at 11:58am

Yes, I agree.
Mersa wrote on May 24th, 2022 at 8:23am:
And you can sling marshmallows or lead glandes. Much is in the application and circumstances.  I think that it’s no more deadly or dangerous than a baseball bat or a broomstick. And probably less deadly in a non experienced user.

Throwing a tennis ball with a sling is as dangerous as throwing a tennis ball with a racket.
It's up to us to refuse those who are in the "grey zone".

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #24 - May 24th, 2022 at 11:33pm

Yeah, I tend to forget how upity most of the world is about one's ability to protect themselves, but yeah the fact that anything can be turned into a sling is all the more reason I don't see a problem trying to grow slinging in general. I think of slinging as a sport. Even if only for hunting. Part of the reason I made the group is also to grow sling-golf as a potentially fun sport. I am in the process of figuring out the hole design. I was thinking if not just using existing golf balls and holes that it could be cool to make a Cornhole style target with a Diana sized netted hole

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #25 - May 24th, 2022 at 11:35pm

Ideally the Diana Cornhole idea would be easy to mount to the bottom, or top maybe, of an existing disc golf basket. So retrofitting existing disc golf courses wouldn't be too hard.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #26 - May 24th, 2022 at 11:45pm

slingostarr wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 7:32am:
larinen wrote on May 22nd, 2022 at 7:07am:
slingostarr wrote on May 19th, 2022 at 6:22pm:
Loving the group. Although it would be nice if it was set to private, so only members can see who's in it and what is posted. I'm not entirely comfortable having friends being able to comment and like my posts. But maybe that's just me 🤷‍♂️

Same. Same.

Not that I want to keep my slinging secret, but I'd feel better engaging and posting if all 1800 of my Facebook friends couldn't randomly see it in their feeds.

Me too. I've even held off posting some things for that very reason.

I definitely want everyone to feel comfortable posting I am annoyed any government would have people nervous to post pictures of string crafts Wink

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #27 - May 25th, 2022 at 1:45pm

Agree with the above. Facebook is not my go to for public posting, I like the anonymity of this site. I suppose I could make a separate Facebook account, but I'd rather not.

John R.

IP Logged

Duckhands
Descens

Idaho
Reply #28 - May 29th, 2022 at 2:15pm

IronGoober wrote on May 25th, 2022 at 1:45pm:
Agree with the above. Facebook is not my go to for public posting, I like the anonymity of this site. I suppose I could make a separate Facebook account, but I'd rather not.

I can understand that sentiment, it saddens me. I struggle to see how posting about slinging could cause problems, even in the most strict countries. Unless your post contained legitimate illegal activity. I am still working on getting animosity as a setting for posting though. It won't work on my phone or iPad though so I may bust out the laptop. Hopefully at some point all of the active members here will cross over as well. I still think the forum and group could work well together.

IP Logged

ilovepancakes
Interfector Viris Spurii

Virginia Slings- "You've
slung a long way, baby!

Virginia
Reply #29 - Jun 20th, 2022 at 5:51pm

just joined

Am I the only one who finds it slightly amusing that people are debating the merits of riot shields against zombies in a totally normal manner?     I do love this forum. -Morphy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Kick, joe_meadmaker, vetryan15, Chris, Curious Aardvark, Morphy, Rat Man)