Send Topic Print
Vegetarian (Read 712 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Vegetarian
Apr 18th, 2022 at 2:52pm

The this war in Europe is driving the cost of everything up across the board.  Meat is no exception.  It's to the point where I'm considering going Vegetarian.  It's something I have done a few times in the past, most recently when daughter Kate lived here with me about seven years ago.  I like meat and believe that there is no harm in eating it in moderation but it's something I know I can live without.  I have a enough for a few months in the freezer.  When that runs out I'll probably make the change. 
    Unfortunately for my wallet my dogs can't go Vegetarian.  I'll have to keep buying meat for their food no matter how much the price goes up.

IP Logged

Hirtius

Slinging Rocks!

Re: Vegetarian
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2022 at 5:56pm

If things ever got too crazy I’d probably try to raise rabbits. Might one day try it regardless. The only problem is that I’m squeamish so the killing part might be a problem.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2022 at 7:34pm

When I was a much younger man I used to hunt.  I liked everything about it except the killing which is why I gave it up.  If my choices were hunting or starving I would hunt again.

IP Logged

perpetualstudent
Interfector Viris Spurii

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2022 at 8:34am

Rabbits have an excellent feed:meat ratio. And their fur is lovely. I've toyed with the idea a fair bit of raising some rabbits for meat and pelt.

Right now it's the eggs that hurt my grocery budget. They're going for 4x their normal price here in Wisconsin.

"Facts stand wholly outside our gates; they are what they are, and no more;they know nothing about themselves and they pass no judgement upon themselves. What is it, then, that pronounces the judgement? Our own guide and ruler, Reason."

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #4 - Apr 21st, 2022 at 5:09pm

Also Rabbits are absolutely delicious.

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #5 - Apr 26th, 2022 at 6:32am

Speaking as someone who has a freezer full of game: pheasants, ducks, pigeons and venison.

Definitely not an option for me.

There are people who make dogs go veggy,
Never good for the dog Sad

Over here meat is reasonably priced, but everything else is doing up, veggy options in particular.

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2022 at 7:52pm

Most people consider dogs carnivores but that isn't true.  They are omnivores.  Once upon a time dogs were pure carnivores.  Species like  Borophaginae roamed the earth from about twenty seven to two million years ago.  Some subspecies  were huge and fierce... sort of canine's answer to lions and tigers.  Then, probably due to overhunting by our ancestors, the megafauna died out and  Borophaginae went with them.  Our modern dogs are descended from the Gray Wolf.  The Gray Wolf survived when its purely carnivorous cousins didn't because it had teeth that could grind plant matter along with teeth for slicing meat.  When game was scarce they could supplement their diet by eating plants... something dogs do to this day.  All of my dogs have loved eating the lawn.
    All of that said making your dog go vegetarian is still a stupid idea.  Even though they're set up to digest some plant matter the bulk of their nutrition should come from meat. 

IP Logged

Curious Aardvark
Forum Moderation

Taller than the average
Dwarf

Midlands England
Reply #7 - May 3rd, 2022 at 7:32am

Yeah, it's not eating vegetation but digesting it.

It's why carnvores always eat the stomach of herbivores first.
All the minerals and vitamins in that pre-digested plant matter.

Dogs mainly seem to eat grass for medicinal reasons.
Which seems odd to us.
But then americans eat puke flavoured chocolate, which seems weird to the rest of the world Wink
But maybe our ancestors also ate the paunch of herbivores and thats what americans see in butyric acid flavoured chocolate. 

There was a woman who planted a field full of medicinal plants, and her horses would go into it and self medicate.
They instinctively knew which plants to eat.

Cut right down on her vet bills Smiley

No doubt dogs have similiar instincts.

Ours seem mainly to eat grass to make them throw up.

Except our old spinone ruffy, who could selectively throw up anything in his stomach.

He'd swallow stones as an easy way to carry them and then just throw them up - and nothing else - when he got home.

Our drive is still lined with stones (small rocks really) that ruffy carried back from walks - either in his stomach or mouth.

He could also carry 4 tennis balls in his mouth Smiley

Do All things with Honour and Generosity: Regret Nothing, Envy None, Apologise Seldom and Bow your head to No One  - works for me Smiley

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2022 at 8:35am

I could be Vegedairyan, with plenty of milk and eggs.

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark, David Morningstar, Masiakasaurus, Rat Man)