Welcome, Guest. Please Login
SLINGING.ORG

Home Help Search Login

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sling projectile speeds. (Read 1261 times)
Foresight17
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Sling projectile speeds.
Apr 18th, 2022 at 7:47am

Hey y'all, recently I was out practicing and got curious about what your top speeds have been, any projectile included. I have been able to break my precious record of 152 meters yesterday by 4 meters, making my new record 156 meters with a stone and was curious what the speed of the stone was at near release and used a projectile range calculator and it said around 40 m/s, but it feels much faster than that when I'm target shooting at 20 meters? It may just be me though and am curious about all of ur highest speeds  Smiley

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Sling projectile speeds.
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2022 at 5:12pm

Your calculated speed could very well be correct.  Getting very high speed is tough.  I haven't done any speed capturing (or calculating) when actually trying to throw really hard.  It's on my list of things this summer.  I have one of the little pocket radar devices.  I've been able to get it working a couple times in the past, but have a hard time getting it aimed in the right direction.  In the small amount of time I used it, I found my normal throwing speed for target slinging was usually 30 - 32 m/s.

I think IronGoober has the fastest throw I've seen that was captured with a radar device.  Maxed it out at 130 mph!  Definitely worth checking out if you haven't see it: https://youtu.be/gZZ1XdRJV4E.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2022 at 12:42pm

Wow, 130mph is very fast. I don’t think I could throw that fast.

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2022 at 12:56pm

100 mph is fast.  130 mph is excellent.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2022 at 7:40pm

I think with 50g stones, I have gotten to about 140 mph (62m/s) with a 28" sling. (using a known distance and video to judge).

But for target shooting, I am slinging 75 to 90 mph (40m/s) most of the time, much harder than that and don't hit stuff that often.

Archaic Arms has gotten to about 145 mph (65m/s) with a 30" sling and up to 155mph (70m/s) with a 40" sling if I recall correctly. This speed was measured from a set distance away (10m) and using slow motion video to calculate the average velocity. And I believe Jlasud has achieved 155mph (70 m/s) as well with a long sling and sound analysis of a video.

I did a fair bit of analysis to try and figure out if you could back out release speed by measuring distance, and found this calculator to be very helpful. You just need to use the correct ratio of mass to cross-sectional area of whatever you are slinging to get accurate results (it changes with material and with the overall mass of projectile). I found that a very smooth round stone has an effective drag coefficient of 0.2.

https://www.desmos.com/calculator/on4xzwtdwz

See this thread:
https://slinging.org/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1637205605

John R.

IP Logged

timpa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Stones in the horizon

Finland
Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2022 at 5:53pm

Yep; have to throw hard.
Here is my old Pocket Radar video from 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FgcysbplWA

IP Logged

Foresight17
Descens

Slinging Rocks!

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2022 at 3:39pm

Thanks for the helpful info everyone, I went out and tested using an audio app and video and was able to find the exact moments of release and connection with the target and interestingly enough, I got exactly 40 m/s on almost every throw. my range was between 39m/s to 42m/s with 50g-70g river stones of football shape. I was using a sling with a leather pouch connected to paracord strings, going from the pouch being at the center of my chest out to the release cord, and firing from a measured 20meters away. So yes, I was simply misjudging my speed. Thanks all!

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #7 - Apr 27th, 2022 at 6:56pm

130mph is the fastest the radar could measure… IG might’ve been even faster.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

NooneOfConsequence
Slinging.org Moderator

Texas
Reply #8 - Apr 27th, 2022 at 6:57pm

Some day maybe there will be an affordable radar that’s appropriate for slings.

“My final hour is at hand. We face an enemy more numerous and cunning than the world has yet seen. Remember your training, and do not fear the hordes of Judas. I, without sin, shall cast the first stone. That will be your sign to attack! But you shall not fight this unholy enemy with stones. No! RAZOR GLANDES!  Aim for the eyes! May the Lord have mercy, for we shall show none!“  -Jesus the Noodler

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #9 - Apr 27th, 2022 at 8:33pm

There is the "FX Radar Pocket Wireless Chronograph" for air guns that goes for $200 (USD) instead of $400 (USD)... I would like to know if it is good enough for a sling.

John R.

IP Logged

IcedFlame
Descens

Victory through discipline

MN
Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2022 at 7:53pm

NooneOfConsequence wrote on Apr 27th, 2022 at 6:56pm:
130mph is the fastest the radar could measure… IG might’ve been even faster.

When you out do the limits of the radar then you know your slinging fast.

If you know the enemy and you know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle
           - Sun Tzu

Happy Slinging, and God bless my friend.

IP Logged

Archaic Arms
Funditor

Testing and inventing
"Archaic" weapons.

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2022 at 3:20pm

A taster. (longer video coming out soon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAuJ9z4yYRk
Not the fastest that day...

Regards,
Lewis
IP Logged

JudoP
Funditor

Rocks away!

UK
Reply #12 - Aug 24th, 2022 at 3:40pm

Archaic Arms wrote on Aug 24th, 2022 at 3:20pm:
A taster. (longer video coming out soon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAuJ9z4yYRk
Not the fastest that day...

Damn, that's some throw. 78m/s puts an idealised projectile out to 620m (upper bound). You could probably get 500+ with lead.

IP Logged

Mersa
Interfector Viris Spurii

Druid

Australia
Reply #13 - Aug 24th, 2022 at 4:04pm

Lewis and goober are on the brink of setting a new world record

Razor glandes, Aim for the eyes!!!

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #14 - Aug 24th, 2022 at 5:20pm

Oh, heck yeah, AA! I'm excited to see what you can do!

John R.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: vetryan15, Chris, Rat Man, Curious Aardvark, Kick, Morphy, joe_meadmaker)