Send Topic Print
Plantar Fasciitis (Read 522 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Plantar Fasciitis
Apr 7th, 2022 at 9:02am

Up until the 24th of last month it was a word I didn't know.  I was doing great.  I'd given up junk food and had been dog walking a legit 45 miles a week for 7 1/2 months.  I wish I still didn't know what Plantar Fasciitis was. Basically it's a sore foot.  Sometimes just rest cures it, sometimes you have to resort to other means up to horse needles or surgery. It seems to be slowly getting better.  Being old blows.

IP Logged

StaffSlinger

Slinging Rocks!

Florida
Re: Plantar Fasciitis
Reply #1 - Apr 7th, 2022 at 9:26am

I'm 74 and I got a plantar fasciitis about 8 months.  They happen.  Might, in fact have happened in your case, from all that walking without proper foot warm-ups, according to my massage therapist and my GP doctor.  Mine cleared up in about 6 weeks with foot stretching exercises and some special padded "bandaides".

CUM FUNDA PROSCRIPTAE ERUNT TUM SOLI PROSCRIPTI FUNDA HABEBUNT &&
StaffSlinger  
IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - Apr 7th, 2022 at 3:18pm

You're probably right about the warm ups.  I'm big on stretching and do it before any exercise or sport.  Except walking.  I considered walking too low impact to need stretching.  Live and learn.  You can bet I'll stretch from now on beforehand.  Also I bought a couple pairs of Dr. Scholl's arch supports specifically made for Plantar Fasciitis.  Maybe they'll help some too. 
     My biggest mistake was trying to ignore it and work through it.  If I stopped for every ache and pain I'd never get anything done.  But this is one pain I should have stopped for.  Again, live and learn. 
    The dogs and I are bored silly.  I can't wait to hit the road again.  Hopefully next week at least on a limited basis.  We'll see. 

IP Logged

TOMBELAINE
Funditor

Slinging Rocks!

france
Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2022 at 3:49am

I hike about 2500 km per year. Two years ago, I too suffered a Plantar Fasciitis. Healing has been slow.
So, I bought hiking shoes from the brand SALOMON. More expensive but incomparable. 2000 to 3000 km is also their life before wear.

IP Logged

AncientCraftwork
Interfector Viris Spurii

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2022 at 2:13pm

I've walked far to the point that it was hard to stand on my feet that night, they were done

All Glory to God forever and ever, amen

IP Logged

Morphy
Slinging.org Moderator

Checkmate

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2022 at 7:48am

Had it for probably a year and a half. Wife had it for maybe 2 years. It can take ages to heal. What really helped me was sole inserts made to support the arch and help it heel.

IP Logged

Rat Man

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Reply #6 - Apr 9th, 2022 at 8:11am

Morphy wrote on Apr 9th, 2022 at 7:48am:
Had it for probably a year and a half. Wife had it for maybe 2 years. It can take ages to heal. What really helped me was sole inserts made to support the arch and help it heel.

Good to know.  I bought two pairs of Dr. Scholl's arch supports made specifically for Plantar Fasciitis.  I plan on getting a few more.

IP Logged

IronGoober
Interfector Viris Spurii

...and now, No. 1, the
larch...

California
Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2022 at 1:02pm

Once it heals, strengthening your feet muscles also helps, or so I've heard. I read a book about barefoot running that suggested this, and some of my own experience seems to reinforce it. I used to have flat feet, then I started rock climbing which requires a lot of strength to "toe down" on small holds. My feet aren't flat after anymore.

Walking/jogging barefoot (mind you, you must slowly work up to longer distances. Start with something like 50-100 yards/day) can help strengthen those muscles in your feet and prevent injury. But it does take quite some time to work up to this and should be done with a lot of care.

John R.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Masiakasaurus, Rat Man, Chris, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Mauro Fiorentini, Curious Aardvark)