Send Topic Print
Why Root for a Team? (Read 286 times)
Rat Man
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Rocks!

New Jersey, USA
Why Root for a Team?
Apr 6th, 2022 at 2:27pm

I spent last Christmas with family at my niece Julie's house.  In that it was a houseful of passionate Football fans, that was the topic of many of the conversations.  My great nephew Tommy, who doesn't care for any sports, asked an interesting question: "Why do you care if a team wins or not?" I sort of had an answer but couldn't really phrase it properly so I let it go.  I vaguely recall something I read a long time ago that made sense to me.  I'll be paraphrasing it.   
    War is deep in our Hairless Killer Chimp DNA.  Professional sports are a semi-civilized substitute for war.  They scratch the itch, usually without anyone getting killed or maimed, cities being razed, refugees fleeing for their lives, etc.  At first that might sound insane but think about it... you've got the army or team representing a particular city state, you've got the uniforms, the mock battle, fight songs, etc.  It makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2022 at 3:23pm by Rat Man »  

IP Logged

joe_meadmaker
Slinging.org Administrator

Slinging Ice is Cool!

PA, USA
Re: Why Root for a Team?
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2022 at 11:02pm

Rooting for a team allows people to be part of something they otherwise wouldn't be.  Or at least feel like they're part of it.  It definitely helps to be interested in the aspects of the sport, or competition in general.  Rooting for a team can also make a person feel like part of a group if there are others cheering on the team.  Even if the other people are strangers, that can create a camaraderie.

There's also the aspect of the hometown team.  Most people will naturally fall on the side of what's closest or familiar to them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Chris, Rat Man, David Morningstar, Bill Skinner, Masiakasaurus, Curious Aardvark, Mauro Fiorentini)